Whats going on with the BMW G310?

johnno2

Hi, i went to the bangkok motorshow last year and saw the new model BMW G310. It was supposed to go on the market in august, and then october. its january now and they still aren't available. Does anyone (richard) know what the hold up is with these?

cheers

In July 2016, Motorcycle Thailand received a email from BMW that the G310R is expected to arrive in Thailand by the first quarter of 2017. So we likely will see the BMW G310R before or the middle of March at the dealers in Thailand.

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm guessing a lot of bikes will be released in Thailand at the motor show at the end of March.

New MT09

New Street Triple

Triumph Bobber

BMW G310

New S1000R

New CBR1000RR

to name a few...

True there'll be a lot of bikes released that were not at the Motor Expo in December but the G310R was shown at the Motor Expo and is on the BMW website (but not pricelist). They seem to have problems with the indian production company TVS that they partnered up with. https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2016/december/bmw-g310r-delayed

So yea, maybe a re-release in March? It's not a good start and would make me hesitant to buy the first year model. Who knows what else slipped through quality control at TVS.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've read reviews for the bike online, but its still not available for sale anywhere worldwide. So the reviewers obviously had pre-production models to ride to test. Whatever the problem was must have raised its head after these tests. I keep annoying Motorrad Rama 2 Road at Samut Sakhon asking when its going to be on sale. I went to the BKK motor show in march last year and saw the bike on the display stand. Its not ugly, trust me. I also read that there will be an adventure type model (GS)released also.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:12 AM, Richard-BKK said:

In July 2016, Motorcycle Thailand received a email from BMW that the G310R is expected to arrive in Thailand by the first quarter of 2017. So we likely will see the BMW G310R before or the middle of March at the dealers in Thailand.

Thanks Richard for the informative reply

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, pbas400 said:

thanks. Google Chrome gave me a rough translation. doesn't sound promising but at least the bike should be fully sorted by the time it goes on sale.

• 5 weeks later...

There was an event at the BMW dealer in Phuket today for the G310R launch (amongst some other launches). Seemed like a nice bike in the flesh, can't say anything about how it rides though of course.

Guess it should be available in Thailand soon-ish.

• 1 month later...

Now the first couple hundred bikes have been delivered and promptly a recall was issued because screws on the handlebar and front break were not up to spec. They even go and pick up the bike at the owners location so I guess the handlebar issue is serious and they don't want people to even ride it to the dealer, they already had one case where it just twisted while riding.

I would be very very hesitant to buy this model. They seem to have some serious quality issue with the indian built bike.

Edited by eisfeld