Advice needed ! BMW 320d vs New Civic

baywatch82

19 hours ago, abab said:

Exactly what we said, people without money go for cheap...

Not sure what your response means?  But in this situation the question is whether he should sell his 2012 BMW, for a new Honda Civics across the board without any or little out of pocket. The Civic you buy today isn't cheap or as small when they were introduced them 70's?

I've owned a BMW, Benz, and a Lexus, before coming to Thailand and today I could buy the same in Thailand but why pay more 30-40% more for the vehicle? unless I got a ego trip going?  I'm not hurting but found living here the best all around vehicle is a truck which I own now a fully loaded Ford ranger prior to that a Toyota Fortuner. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/02/2017 at 6:25 PM, baywatch82 said:

I see 6 months to 1 year old cars on Kaidee selling for almost the same price as the new one (maybe 5-10% loss),

What you see on Kaidee and the like is cars being advertised at those prices, not necessarily being sold.  There is a big difference.

On 10/02/2017 at 1:32 PM, baywatch82 said:

New Civic is great, but let's be honest, BMW is a real joy to drive too, plus some prestige.

It's obvious that you like your car but "prestige"?  Didn't you say it was a 320d with years-old technology?

On 11/02/2017 at 11:04 AM, Tracyb said:

Imagine how the Honda will react during avoidance maneuvers when facing some of the idiot drivers on the roads.  Afterwards, ask yourself how it compares to the BMW, WHILE DRIVING your BMW.

The last car I owned in the U.S. was a BMW.  Now, whenever I travel out of Thailand and I need a car, I rent BMW's from Sixt or Europecar.  The reason?  The Beemer really is "The Ultimate Driving Machine"   The suspension, handling capabilities, and quality of build may just save your life.

"Imagine how the Honda will react during avoidance maneuvers when facing some of the idiot drivers on the roads."

Since when are Civic RSs so renowned for bad handling compared to old diesel 3 Series' faultless behaviour? 

"The suspension, handling capabilities, and quality of build may just save your life."

Are you sure that the suspension, handling, build quality, and safety equipment and design, (which you omitted to mention) of a 5 year-old, 60,000+km 320d (which is what is being discussed her) is far better than a brand new, up to date Honda to such a degree that the Honda will kill you while the old BM won't?  Get real.

32 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

It's obvious that you like your car but "prestige"?  Didn't you say it was a 320d with years-old technology?

More prestige and technology than our twenty one year old Mazda Lantis .. I think ...☺

On 11/02/2017 at 11:51 AM, Pdaz said:

Yes there are 9 or 10 airbags and other active safety features in Mercs and BMWs.. What price on walking away from a bad accident that could have been fatal in a lighter, cheaper lower spec'd car ?

Are 5 year-old 320ds better equipped than up-to-date brand new, more expensive Civic RSs (and what does lightness have to do with it)?

17 hours ago, abab said:

Exactly ! I will always prefer to have an accident even in a 15 years S-class than any can on wheels that are japs.

But the OP hasn't got a 15 year-old S Class he's got a comparatively can-on-wheels 2012 3 Series.

16 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure what your response means?  But in this situation the question is whether he should sell his 2012 BMW, for a new Honda Civics across the board without any or little out of pocket. The Civic you buy today isn't cheap or as small when they were introduced them 70's?

I've owned a BMW, Benz, and a Lexus, before coming to Thailand and today I could buy the same in Thailand but why pay more 30-40% more for the vehicle? unless I got a ego trip going?  I'm not hurting but found living here the best all around vehicle is a truck which I own now a fully loaded Ford ranger prior to that a Toyota Fortuner. 

Exactly what I said ! People were driving ferraris in the west and are now just low so pickup drivers in Thailand.

How weird ! I have never and will never drive a pickup in this life !

17 hours ago, baywatch82 said:

All sorted for now. Everything was almost agreed and set, but then BKK buyer was pushing me to give more discount, which I wasn't happy to accept. Staying with my BM and feel alright with it.

Still turning my head every time I see new Civic on the road, and will probably have it for some time...
My BM still on Kaidee, but will not let it go for a price that doesn't make me happy.
Thanks everyone for your good advises !

Good choice ! Don't listen to all the tasteless people who prefer to spend on their wife house than for a nice car !

Use the BM as long as you can and buy a new one when it will be worth nothing !

We are not born to only save but also to enjoy our life !

45 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Still looks better than any four door Honda.. 5 years old or not.

320D.jpg

My car is actually not a requirement and more of a toy, but i use my 2010 Pajero when the going gets tough on the road to the farm and the rainy season. Its a 2010 320D model and due to the depreciation i will keep it.

The joys of having a toy and a workhorse. Not one of them has ever had a problem, due to the fact they are maintained at a very high standard.

IMG_0162.JPG

On 2/11/2017 at 6:17 AM, Sphere said:

My experience with BSI after it's expiry......every time the car went in for periodic paid service, it "developed" a new mechanical problem within a couple of weeks......which needed paid attention. In just one year, I probably ended up paying more for repairs than all the 5 years worth of "free" service I got. 

I drove a 2008 M3. Never had BSI, and never had a single mechanical problem. 

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Come on There ..I'm a B.M Fan but that's a standard jelly mould just like a Civic The 3Litre CS Alpina Coupe was the last distinctive BM

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was trying to compare what was available in Thailand rather than pick a beautiful exotic.

However an M3 coupe would have been my perfect choice but thought a four door would be closer to the Honda. Still know which I'd rather have..

Civic 

Honda.jpg

BMW

BMW.jpg

19 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I see that BMW now have a 5-Series d at under 3Mthb ... worth a look at me thinks at the 'end of March' Motor Show 

Clearing the old stock, there's a viewing in Bangkok at the start of March for the new G30. CBU should be on sale at the Motorshow at the end of March. Expect a 4m+ price tag with CKD to follow.

15 minutes ago, ChesneyHawkes said:

Clearing the old stock, there's a viewing in Bangkok at the start of March for the new G30. CBU should be on sale at the Motorshow at the end of March. Expect a 4m+ price tag with CKD to follow.

So the 520d Elite is something that BMW have knocked up to dump the remaining bits that can't be used on the G30? They have a lot of Elites to get rid of?  Will they still be selling the Elite after the Motor Show?  

On 2/11/2017 at 6:17 AM, Sphere said:

My experience with BSI after it's expiry......every time the car went in for periodic paid service, it "developed" a new mechanical problem within a couple of weeks......which needed paid attention. In just one year, I probably ended up paying more for repairs than all the 5 years worth of "free" service I got. 

There are 2 simple solutions to this.

1 - stop going to that place for service

2 - use a different place for service/repair

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

There are 2 simple solutions to this.

1 - stop going to that place for service

2 - use a different place for service/repair

Did just that after giving them the benefit of doubt a couple of times. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Did just that after giving them the benefit of doubt a couple of times. :thumbsup:

You mention the following

every time the car went in for periodic paid service, it "developed" a new mechanical problem within a couple of weeks......which needed paid attention.

Are you stating that the BMW service center performed some work to make the car have a mechanical issue ?

Can you elaborate on the actual issues that you observed ?

The original question was, his old BM versus new Honda Civic. Normally, I would advice to go for a new car but in this case the Civic is CVT gear and I really dislike this feature. So because of this I would keep the BM as no other option was suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

So the 520d Elite is something that BMW have knocked up to dump the remaining bits that can't be used on the G30? They have a lot of Elites to get rid of?  Will they still be selling the Elite after the Motor Show?  

5 Series Elite and 3 Series Iconic are just some "exclusive" names they attached to push out some sales for these models. They did something like this for the X3 too. Effectively, you're getting a base model with a badge. If the engine is all you care about, it's the same engine/drivetrain of the other models in each series, but most of the options have been removed.

If you're still ok getting an F gen 5 series then I'd wait a few more weeks, they'll be desperate to shift them once the new one is out here.