Phuket’s red light cameras now in operation

webfact

Phuket’s red light cameras now in operation

The Phuket News

1487308849_1-org.jpg

Just one of the junctions where the cameras have been installed. Photo: Goongnang Suksawat

PHUKET: -- Red light cameras at five of the island’s main traffic junctions were put into operation yesterday to catch drivers who break traffic laws.

At 10am yesterday (Feb16) at Phuket City Police Station, Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan together with the commander of the Phuket Provincial Police Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipjaroen and Vice President of the Phuket branch of the Thai Road Safety Network Mr Wiwat Sritamanot joined a press conference to launch the red light cameras provided by the Safer Roads Foundation.

Gov Chockchai said, “We want drivers to change their driving habits and reduce the amount of drivers who break traffic laws. This is especially the case when it comes to motorcycle riders not wearing helmets. We want to make Phuket 100% helmet wearing.

“Moreover, the new red light cameras will also be part of out Phuket Smart City campaign,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-red-light-cameras-now-in-operation-61052.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-17

Gov Chockchai said, “We want drivers to change their driving habits and reduce the amount of drivers who break traffic laws. This is especially the case when it comes to motorcycle riders not wearing helmets. We want to make Phuket 100% helmet wearing.

What about all the other road rules they break?  The police need to actually get out and start patrolling the streets and pulling people over.  Cameras are great but you still need a strong police presence and an active police force enforcing the rules.  

As for fines not being paid.  Confiscate the car or bike and impound it until the fine is paid.  If the fine is not paid within 3 months, sell it or destroy it.  Very easy to change the way people think when you take something from them.

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

It'll be as much success as the speeding cameras that were installed.

Tickets issued and sent to the address of the speeder, ticket ignored by speeder, authorities ignore that the speeder is ignoring the ticket and no fine is collected.

When they go to pay the car tax , they have to pay the fine .

Do they have any red light cameras in the red light district ?

:sorry: 

There is a couple of publicly viewable cameras on the Pattaya Walking street...also every bar is supposed to have CCTV installed
so there ought to be lots of red light footage.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, dabhand said:

Setting up car repair facilities near these locations should be a nice little earner. I can see the number of rear-enders going off the scale should some drivers actually start to follow the traffic laws,

That's always the worry (on a scooter) in not moving ahead until the lights have turned green - when everyone else is reacting to the lights turning amber on the other roads....

I still can't quite bring myself to move until the lights have turned green, but after a car drove around me this a.m. (the scooters had moved off even earlier than normal) - its probably time to give up and 'go with the flow' as the safer option.

Not possible in all circumstances but you could try waiting in line with a few cars in front ie dont filter to the front of the queue or even pull over to the left say 20 meters before the lights let all the boy racers zoom off first then off you go.

9 minutes ago, johng said:

Not possible in all circumstances but you could try waiting in line with a few cars in front ie dont filter to the front of the queue or even pull over to the left say 20 meters before the lights let all the boy racers zoom off first then off you go.

Previously it has been safer to accelerate away quickly - leaving behind the chaos as automatic scooters have FAR better acceleration than cars/motorbikes with gears.

Times have changed, and both car and scooter drivers are far more impatient and aggressive :sad:.

Staying behind cars is probably a good idea, but no better than just starting when the other vehicles around me start moving?  At least that way I can get out of their way v quickly?

The problem with zooming off on a green light is that some idiot hasnt stoped for their red light and smashes right into you ,the longer your light has been green (and theirs red)
the less chance of it happening.

The car drivers dont like it much you can use them as shields by staying on their right hand side but it often makes them think you want to race them.

If i'm first off the line I'll be looking left and right as much as possible while crossing the junction,and always wait for green.