Long stay O-A visa requirements: Thai embassy Singapore

I'm currently in Thailand and will only be returning to Singapore for the purposes of applying for the retirement visa. I just tried the embassy in Singapore but there was no one picking up.

I refer to this page:

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay

Under "required documents":

5. Criminal record: I assume I can get this from my neighbourhood police station in Singapore?

6. Medical certificate: It says "issued from the country the application is submitted". Would they accept a medical certificate from Thailand? For the blood tests they require, it may take a week to longer to get the results. 

I would be grateful for any input from any Singaporeans who've applied for the O-A visa in Singapore recently. Btw how long did the application take? I have a home in Singapore but will be staying in a hotel.

I assume you are a Singaporean  national or a  legal resident there.

Otherwise you will have problem getting an O-A Retirement visa there.

Also be warned that the Thai consulate in a Singapore is NOT a friendly place for visa seekers at the best of times even for  Singaporeans.

• Like 1

For Criminal record (Certificate of Clearance), click link below.

http://www.police.gov.sg/e-services/apply/certificate-of-clearance/apply-for-certificate-of-clearance

Medical cert, any GP will do. this is just to certify you do not have the disease listed on the form.

No requirement to do blood test.

For the Thai Embassy in S'pore, application submission is strictly in the morning, collection is in the afternoon.

• Like 1

Yes, Singaporean here.

Medical certificate PDF bottom of aforementioned page requires a doctor to you are "free from the following":

Leprosy

Tubercolosis

Elephantiasis

Drug addiction

Third step of syphilis

.... Most of which require a blood test? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this post up in the hopes that any Singaporeans who may have applied for an O-A in Singapore recently will see it.

When did you apply and did the embassy accept a medical certificate from Thailand?

Been calling all week but no answer.

Thank you to the respondent who came answered the question about the criminal record.

On 2/23/2017 at 1:46 PM, BigOm19 said:

Yes, Singaporean here.

Medical certificate PDF bottom of aforementioned page requires a doctor to you are "free from the following":

Leprosy

Tubercolosis

Elephantiasis

Drug addiction

Third step of syphilis

.... Most of which require a blood test? 

All of these conditions have obvious physical manifestations.

A competent physical examination should be sufficient (I've had 3 OAs from Australia - no blood tests but require "a doctor from the country you are applying in")

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigOm19 said:

When did you apply and did the embassy accept a medical certificate from Thailand?

I see no where on the medical form that the doctor has to be dwithin the country of applying. So they do accept Thailand medical certificate.

Being a Singaporean all medicals, police cert, bank statement whatever stated on the application forms must be from Singapore.

Also be prepared to write a short dossier of yourself...good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamin123 said:

I see no where on the medical form that the doctor has to be dwithin the country of applying. So they do accept Thailand medical certificate.

From Required Documents, OA Visa, Royal Thai Embassy Singapore:_

6.medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibited diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) (the certificate shall be valid for no more than 3 months).

• Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 2:07 PM, Evilbaz said:

A competent physical examination should be sufficient (I've had 3 OAs from Australia - no blood tests but require "a doctor from the country you are applying in")

Evilbaz, thank you very much! 

This is more complicated than I anticipated - it looks like I have to make at least 2 trips to Singapore.

In order to apply for a CoC certificate of clearance from Singapore Police, I need a letter with "a case reference" from the Thai embassy but no one is picking up phones or answering emails?

I have created a visa application account on the Thai embassy website but without all the required documents uploaded (including the CoC), I can't create an application with a "case reference"?!? So bizarre. What am I missing??

Help?!

Edited by BigOm19

16 hours ago, BigOm19 said:

This is more complicated than I anticipated - it looks like I have to make at least 2 trips to Singapore.

This why the O-A Non Immigrant Visa is designed to be obtained in your home country or country of your residence

You are trying to use your "Singaporian residency" to short ciruit the system and are finding out that it won't work because your are not in Singapore.  If you were in Singapore these requirements would be easy to satisfy

IMHO you need to obtain a different visa, not an O-A 

In order to apply for a CoC certificate of clearance from Singapore Police, I need a letter with "a case reference" from the Thai embassy but no one is picking up phones or answering emails?

I have created a visa application account on the Thai embassy website but without all the required documents uploaded (including the CoC), I can't create an application with a "case reference"?!? So bizarre. What am I missing??

Help?!

Is better and more convenient if you can just return back to Singapore and apply all the necessary documents but only the COC, I advise that you can make a booking to the Singapore police website first to confirm the date before you go back and that can help you to save up some time.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

I have a Singaporean friend, have married with his Thai girlfriend before Chinese New Year in Thailand and was requested to have COC went they go for registering of marriage in the ampur , all he need is to write a letter to the SPF to said that he need it for registration marriage in Thailand and is done. Maybe you can tell them, you need it for working or marriage......

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Singaporean here in Thailand atm, not "trying to use Singaporian [sic] residency to short circuit the system". I know you're trying to help but you've got the wrong picture.

Lots of things are automated and done online in Singapore. Just that I've been away a few years and haven't kept up with tech developments. There's been some delays as waiting for things like a SingPass password reset plus 2FA token key. 

The only thing I can't seem to be able to get online is a letter from the Thai embassy as the Singapore Police will not issue a CoC without a Thai embassy visa application "case reference file". That's partly automated. Will give it another go. 

Thanks very much, Anthony Loh. Jiak lak, man. Wan this, wan that. Headache. So sian oreddy leh. Haizzz. Not applying on basis of work or marriage. Retirement visa just for a year or so. Not permanent.

Edited by BigOm19

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2017 at 4:32 PM, chuang said:

Being a Singaporean all medicals, police cert, bank statement whatever stated on the application forms must be from Singapore.

Also be prepared to write a short dossier of yourself...good luck.

Hi chuang, what did you write on your "dossier" ("applicant's personal data" on the requirements page http://www.thaiembassy.sg/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay)?

Did you apply using the electronic application form? I thought I would upload some documents first in order to get a case number so I could get the last requirment (Certificate for Clearance which requires a letter from the embassy - I can't make a fingerprinting appointment without one) but they wouldn't 'take' even after compressing to well under 5MB.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:17 AM, BigOm19 said:

I actually went back to Singapore for 2 nights but did not have time to apply for the O-A then.

Just to share my experience in Singapore: I only had time to see the GP at Faith Family Clinic in the nearest housing estate. He requested a blood test for 1st stage syphilis. If positive, there are tests for more advanced stages. TB requires an Xray in Singapore and I had to go to a government clinic in Chai Chee for that. In his medical opinion, only leprosy, elephantiasis and "drug addictions" on that list have obvious physical manifestations. 

Edited by BigOm19

OP, if you have decided to retire in Thailand and find the application for a Non-Imm O-A visa too tedious.  Why not just apply for a SE Non-Imm O visa and near the expiry date, convert it to extension of stay based on retirement?  Of course, you will have to meet the requirement for this extension (e.g. above 50yr of age, 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for at least 2 months prior to application, etc.).  Getting a CoC from SPF will need about a week.

• Like 1