Great American Rib Company

billaaa777

Question to the foodie writer. You say any cuisine can now be done well in Thailand? So why is Mexican food so hard?

The key word in my statement is can, does not mean it exists. It can be done well if someone wanted to and had the real genuiune knowlege and experience. All of the ingredients are here to produce good Mexican food. I feel the reason there aren't any good Mexican restaurants is, plain and simply, because there are no Mexicans living here. All the Mexican foods I have seen here are produced by non-Mexican expats who think they know what Mexican food is (I also sadly find that Cajun/Creole also falls into this categorty of non-starters as it were.). In my first post I say some establishments are good and some are not, one of the "are nots" is Mexican. Another problem that I have seen internationally is restaurants opened up by forgein nationals of a country who never cooked at home, so why would they think they can cook in their adopted home? Simply having a passport that says you are a French, Italian or any other national, does not mean you can cook your country's food.

When Senior Pico opened in the Rembrandt Hotel years ago they had a Mexican chef on staff, and typical to operations here in Thailand, they axed him after they thought they knew what they were doing, which immediately made the place just another "theme" restaurant of no substance. Another problem I find with Mexican restaurants here is they think that by "elevating" the cuisine and the decor that they have actually improved on the Mexican concept, and that they now offer a better and more "up-scale" product (leading to the most often found outrageous pricing). In my opinion Mexican food, like Thai food, is best left as it is. No need to improve or fuse it, or try any of the other trends of the last 10 to 15 years. Mexican cuisine (and Thai), for the most part, needs to be kept as basic and true to its original form as possible.

Bottom line, even in America, the only decent Mexican restaurants are the ones owned and operated by Mexicans, regardless of the location. (Some of the worst Mexican food I have ever eaten was in Texas and Colorado, both a stones throw from the Mexican border, go figure.)

Bottom line, even in America, the only decent Mexican restaurants are the ones owned and operated by Mexicans, regardless of the location. (Some of the worst Mexican food I have ever eaten was in Texas and Colorado, both a stones throw from the Mexican border, go figure.)

If you are ever in Chiang Mai, check out Miquel's California Cafe. I lived in San Francisco for many years and Miquel's has quite good California style Mexican food and it was started by a white guy from New Jersey who recently sold it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

i have eaten at the hua hin location a number of times and spoken with the owner and his brother for long periods of time. I find the greatest advantage to eating there is it accepts credit cards :o also i was told that their pies are made in bkk and delivered to hua hin but on my last visit there were no pies available and the brother has moved to singapore or other destinations which is a shame because he was fluent in thai and pretty much in charge of training and quality control. I have been happy with the ribs on each visit however there has also been something amiss with sides or extras and the cocktails are not an american pour i.e. 30ml. the buffalo wings are not for people who expect tony roma style and the food and beverage bill is never a deal :D and where my wife will not return i will as it does accept cc and the food is not bad but great? i don't think so :D

I've never been too impressed with BBQ restaurants. The ones I have been to outside of such places like Kansas City, North Carolina etc seem to more or less "bake" the ribs etc instead of slow cooking via smoking. What kind of cooking methods do they use here?

We've eaten in both Hua Hin and Bangkok Great American Rib places, both were exceptionally good every time, and we have been about five times to the one in Hua Hin. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for right?

Interestingly Peace Blondie, the American who runs the one in Hua Hin (wonder if he owns it too?) is the head of Media Studies at Websters University in Hua Hin (go figure!).

Agree the side orders of beans and coleslaw were poor, but simple to substitute curley fries and or onion rings instead.

Staff unfailingly helpful and thoughtful in both locations, even if their English is not perfect (ut a lot better than my Thai!).

• 11 months later...

Recently had the ribs at Great American. I am no rib expert, but they didn't seem wonderful at all. If I could put one word to it, I would say ... leftovers. On a previous visit (not soon after they opened) I thought they were fantastic. Has this place, the Pattaya location, gone to pot? I am not saying the food wasn't edible, but I think it has dropped to poor value, considering the current quality and not cheap price. Also the side dishes are microscopic. Someone before said the manager told them you could ask for more, but the menu doesn't say that, the waiters don't tell you that, so i would never do that, they should just serve a normal side dish portion and stop playing games. Its supposed to be an American restaurant. No self respecting BBQ place in America would ever serve microscopic side dishes. For example, their BBQ beans are served in a small, shallow dipping sauce plate.

Edited by Jingthing

I haven't been to the Great American Rib company since Bob opened up his new place. The only complaint I have about Bob's is that the small portion is too small and the big portion is too big. I thought the Great American Rib company was great.

I haven't been to the Great American Rib company since Bob opened up his new place. The only complaint I have about Bob's is that the small portion is too small and the big portion is too big. I thought the Great American Rib company was great.

Well, that's why I am asking. Maybe it was just a bad day and I really did get leftovers. Even great places have bad days.

Now that you mention portions, it occurs to me the 1/2 rack I had recently was much smaller than 1/2 rack I remembered. Are the piggies getting smaller? Given that it wasn't wonderful, I guess I didn't mind about the smaller meat portion.

Edited by Jingthing

Recently had the ribs at Great American. I am no rib expert, but they didn't seem wonderful at all. If I could put one word to it, I would say ... leftovers. On a previous visit (not soon after they opened) I thought they were fantastic. Has this place, the Pattaya location, gone to pot? I am not saying the food wasn't edible, but I think it has dropped to poor value, considering the current quality and not cheap price. Also the side dishes are microscopic. Someone before said the manager told them you could ask for more, but the menu doesn't say that, the waiters don't tell you that, so i would never do that, they should just serve a normal side dish portion and stop playing games. Its supposed to be an American restaurant. No self respecting BBQ place in America would ever serve microscopic side dishes. For example, their BBQ beans are served in a small, shallow dipping sauce plate.
i agree with jingthing, i went when it first opened and it was a delight, i have been a few times since and its been progressively worse and seemingly more expensive each time. the last time was about two weeks ago and it will be the LAST time.

I used to go quite often, but I agree that the place has gone down hill. I loved the onion rings -- best in town -- but the last time they were not very good at all (tasted frozen and re-heated). The service was always spotty and I think has become worse.

I have not been back in several months and probably won't go again.

BTW, the ribs at the News Cafe are quite good.

Been to this place since I was a student in university.. best BBQ Place I must say!

and was surprised to found the new branch in Hua hin when I was on vacation two years ago.

But I've just moved to Pattaya and I've heard from my cousins about Pattaya branch, would love it visit it very soon.

Does anyone know if they offer Mexican food on Mondays and Wings Night on Wednesdays?

Ps. I love curry fries :o

Been to this place since I was a student in university.. best BBQ Place I must say!

and was surprised to found the new branch in Hua hin when I was on vacation two years ago.

But I've just moved to Pattaya and I've heard from my cousins about Pattaya branch, would love it visit it very soon.

Does anyone know if they offer Mexican food on Mondays and Wings Night on Wednesdays?

Ps. I love curry fries :o

I don't think that they do that in Pattaya. Hope the local branch meets your expectations.

I have read many of the comments...and feel you have a legitimate gripe...regardless of how other feel(which is their opinion). I would respond by saying...no excuses for poor service and yes this is Thailand (I think we are all on the same page with that issue), but overcharging, poor service, lack of quality help (again, this owner has been around and knows the staff needs to be broken in correctly...which leads me to think he is not paying them enough and you get what you pay for) or at least that's been my experience.

I would say that in Bkk, I have tried the Monday night Mexican buffet and that was pretty darn good...again being in Thailand. I have yet to find a Mexican restaurant that I would be going to on a weekly basis for a number of reasons, basically food is good (but I want better then that) and you are paying American prices??? what's up with that?

Anyway, most places fail because they lack the pre homework in what it takes to make a place successful. I hope this is not the case for Great American Rib. Time tells everything. Lastly, keep in mind with the dollar being very weak, you are paying premium prices for day old food??? forget it, I will pass and go to a Thai restaurant and eat. I can do without Farang food for a long time...after all, I am in Thailand ;0).

Cheers,

R

PS: I wouldn't pay 600 baht for lunch even in the states...unless it was a super great meal. Just doesn't make sense/cents

As an American who loves BBQ restaurants I found myself anxiously awaiting the opening of the Great American Rib Company. The following is a review of my first dinning experience.

Started with the buffalo wings and they were exceptional. Just as we would get back in the States and even came with celery and blue cheese. 95 Baht for 6 wings. Grade A.

Ordered the chicken platter for lunch. The chicken was obviously not cooked that day, but heated up. All in all it was still pretty good. They did not have any BBQ sauce on the table, nor did they bring any with the meal. Made me wonder if the owner had ever eating a BBQ restaurant.

The platter came with two sides you get to choose. The waitress did not ask me what I wanted; she could not speak any English. I ended up with baked beans and cole slaw. The cole slaw was pretty good, not the best, but I have a lot worse in the States. The beans tasted good, but the presentation was terrible, hard, crusty and dried out. They needed to add some souse to them; obviously the cook has not been trained in this area.

It also came with cornbread which I thought was great. 185 Baht for the platter. Overall I would give it a grade of a C.

I ordered iced tea, and to my great surprise it was real homemade southern iced tea. But, they served in a 10 ounce beer glass filled to the top with ice. You got about 5 ounces of iced tea. Well, the waitress pointed at the glass asking if I wanted more and I shook my head yes. She brought me another one and rang it up on the bill. Any self respecting BBQ restaurants serves huge glass of refillable iced tea, so this was a big disappointment. Again, made me wonder if the owner has ever been in a BBQ restaurant. 65 Baht per glass for 5 ounces of tea, what a rip off! Grade F.

They add 10% service charge to your check and 7% VAT. I questioned if the owner actually gave the girls the tips or not, so I added in another tip. The total cost of the lunch was 600 Baht.

I really hope he makes it, as I do love BBQ, and his is not bad. Next visit I will not get the iced tea, but just water and work on getting the bill close to what a reasonable lunch should cost.

Add your review if you have one, maybe we can get him some publicity and help him out.

• 3 months later...

I went there the other night (ram intra branch), they increased the prices and removed the

10% service charge.

I think they also increased the size portions for the sides.

I think the price is ok, not good not bad.

Those types of ribs are probably expensive here, and they are pretty good quality,

much more than than in the US at a BBQ place, but this is Thailand.

The buffalo wing sauce is pretty good, but in my opinion for the quality of the wings they are

using, they are way over priced.

Billy's on suk uses much better quality wings, at a comparable price.