Cash rule now being enforced at Padang Besar crossing

Actually, for my own learning, I am intrigued as to where the cash amount derives from, whether it be in Thai Baht or equivalent?

As far as I can see the Immigration act only states:

11. According to the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979), foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand: 

(1) Having no genuine valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine valid passport or document used in lieu of passport without valid visa issuance by the Royal Thai Embassies, the Royal Thai Consulates-General or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with exception of those who meet visa exemption requirements. The terms and conditions of visa issuance and visa exemption are prescribed by the Ministerial Regulations. 
(2) Having no appropriate means of living following entry into the Kingdom. 
(3) Having entered the Kingdom to be employed as an unskilled or untrained labourer, or to work in violation of the Alien Work Permit Law. 
(4) Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases stated in the Ministerial Regulations. 
(5) Having not yet been vaccinated against smallpox; or inoculated, or undergone any other medical treatment for protection against disease; and having refused to have such vaccinations administered by the Immigration Doctor. 
(6) Having been imprisoned by judgement of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgement of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations. 
(7) Having behaviour which could cause possible danger to the public; or having the likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace, safety and security of the public or to the security of the nation; or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments. 
(8) Reason to believe that entry into Kingdom is for the purpose of being involved in prostitution, the trafficking of women or children, drug smuggling, or other types of smuggling which are against public morality. 
(9) Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under Section 14 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979). 
(10) Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979). 
(11) Being deported by either the Government of Thailand or that of other foreign countries; or having been revoked the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries; or having been expelled from the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless exemption is provided by the Minister on an individual basis.

Obviously it must come from what the Minister prescribes?

I also thought I read that it was 10,000 THB for individuals?

As written by several posters before, in this modern age, then there really should be allowances made for those that come with credit cards etc. 

Though really the amount needed to show is not a huge sum if coming on a holiday!

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

The law is Thai baht (which is what you spend here) and that is the requirement when asked.  But normally there will be facilities to change/obtain from ATM in such cases.

I've never heard of someone selected for rejected-entry being allowed to go to an ATM - even when the machines were a few steps from the checkpoint on the Thai side.  Once an IO decides you are going to be part of that day's rejection-quota, the point is to find a way to reject you - not help you meet the requirements.

Note that this has come up before - way back in 2010 there was a topic on it here - and that discussion includes posts indicating it had been going on before that:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/340437-new-requirements-to-enter-thailand/

As to whether the cash must be Thai Baht, as currently stated on the MFA website:

... However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Note the words "finances equivalent to" - as contrasted to "Thai Currency Only".

I am adding a screenshot of this page to the list of documents I carry (condo-lease, bank-books showing all money transferred from overseas, etc).  Does anyone have a link to a Thai version of this rule?

So, if an IO decides you are going to be part of that day's rejection-quota, a Bankbook and/or Credidt card wouldn't help much ??

Didn't book a ticket yet, but will come in through DMK (most likely) from PNH. Do they have ATM's before you get to immigration? Didn't have a international flight in DMK since Swampy opened