Woman dies after being attacked by wild elephant in Chon Buri

Woman dies after being attacked by wild elephant in Chon Buri
By The Nation

CHONBURI: -- A woman was killed when she was attacked by a wild elephant in the Nong Yai district of Chon Buri province on Wednesday night, police said. The victim was identified as Saithong Khamphranang, 58.

Her son, Rung-aroon Thanomklang, told police that his mother was lighting a fire behind their house in Moo 4 village in Tambon Klong Plue when the elephant suddenly appeared and charged at her.

The son said the elephant kicked her against a tree and pushed her into a pond and ran away. He said he was too afraid to rescue his mother.

Officials said they would try to locate the elephant and added there had never been any reports of a wild elephant attacking people in that area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314193

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-04

40 minutes ago, petermik said:

Something doesn,t seem right here :whistling:

Indeed. I hope they do a full autopsy, check the area for elephant foot prints and keep a close eye on the sons whereabouts while they are doing it.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:45 AM, KhaoNiaw said:

Yes. Part of the Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary is in Chonburi and there are wild elephants there.

Well, okay.
Looks like about a two hour drive from the sanctuary to the scene of the attack though.
I did not believe elephants were such explorers.

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

Well, okay.
Looks like about a two hour drive from the sanctuary to the scene of the attack though.
I did not believe elephants were such explorers.

I don't know the geography of it. But elephants often stray outside the protected areas. You'll see road signs warning of wild elephants if you are heading out to Rayong and Chantaburi, even though it's well outside protected areas and the normal elephant range. In the case reported, I have no idea whether it's credible or not that wild elephants could have been in the area. 

R.I.P.

These animals are wild! They are probably more frightened of humans then humans of them?

I'm dead against these kinds of animals being kept simply for amusement purposes, tourist attractions, like so many are in places such as Surin, plus other parts of Thailand, not forgetting the rest of the world!

Elephants should be set-free, in a secure and properly maintained and managed conservation park/reserve, far away from human interaction or human settlements

Obviously, this particular wild Elephant was not being conserved in the correct way that it should have been, within in a secure reservation.

I'm just hoping , the elephant in question is not hunted down?

Asian elephants are an endangered species. Experts believe there are now less than 2000 wild elephants living in Thailand. The population is declining at a rapid rate due to loss of habitat.

Says it all?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Some of the Thai news reports mention broken trees and footprints that suggest a real elephant could well have been in the area. 

I did not see any of those reports.
Were the reports from independents, or was this part of the son's story?
I am seriously interested in learning about the habits of Thai wildlife...
Also contemplating a move. Do I want to move closer, or stay away from rampaging behemoths?
Some good deals on rentals near the area. :sad:

26 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I did not see any of those reports.
Were the reports from independents, or was this part of the son's story?
I am seriously interested in learning about the habits of Thai wildlife...
Also contemplating a move. Do I want to move closer, or stay away from rampaging behemoths?
Some good deals on rentals near the area. :sad:

I saw the footage and news report on channel 3 this lunch time - probably while most of TV members were watching CSI 555 :)

Edited by kmj

17 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Wonderful story tellers in this neck of the woods and Elephants who runaway after the crime, mind blowing intelligence these animals have.

Boss Elephant that one, revoke his passport b4 its to late.

If it was a pack of elephants doing the kicking and then ran away we would off course then believe the story.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:49 AM, steven100 said:

was the elephant hiding behind a tree waiting ...  ? 

I have walked past elephants in the Jungle and not seen them ,  Only having got past them have i spotted them, believe it or not if they dont want to be seen , they will not. Dont underestimate Elephants intelligence.

Edited by Thongkorn