Who is required to report to Immigration within 24 hours?

36 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Absurd.  Totally off the wall absurd.  Condos can be rented with online reservations just like any hotel or guest house.  They're listed on Agoda and all the other online sites just like hotels.  How the heck is a tourist supposed to know that there's this critical difference and about any of this!!  "Their choice" my aching back!!!  How do they even know, genius??  Stop posting nonsense.

Furthermore, just try and complete a TM30 as a mere guest without the active cooperation of the owner!  And most owners will either claim ignorance - and may even actually BE ignorant -  themselves or simply leave the whole matter in your hands.  Some owners may not be that anxious to have evidence of rental income being placed in govt hands.  And Jomtien will happily apply the fine to you instead of the owner, since you're the "possessor".

Glad to see this discussion finally taking place.  Not even UJ able to address the ridiculousness of this or the impossible situation it can put a hapless tourist in.  But labelling this a "tourist choice" wins the award for ignorance.

'A classic example of fire-aim-ready and a real gotcha' for totally unsuspecting and unaware tourists, or even partially aware tourists who're unable to navigate the strange TM30 business which is set up for owners, not renters.

The only thing that's absurd and off the wall is complaining about filing a form.

In your ignorance, if you bothered to check the Immigration Act, you'd find that the tenant can file a TM30.

There is absolutely no need for a Tourist to visit an Immigration office, let alone be fined.

Address reporting is a condition of the requirements in Thailand, nothing ridiculous about it.

If you don't like it you know what to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He could be fined up to 2000 baht for not doing the TM30 report.

Seriously doesnt everyone find immigration in any country a rather sinister lot.

The war on terror seems to have them all acting like they are gods gift

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chang50 said:

It's not even always possible to file a TM30 within 24 hours of arrival....your flight might arrive on a Friday evening or Saturday or early Sunday and immigration will not be open within 24 hours.

If you arrive after hours on a Friday or over the weekend, you can attend on Monday. It's also not within 24 hrs of arriving in Thailand but within 24 hrs of arriving at your residence. It took me 3 days to drive back from Myanmar last week after sleeping in my car on the way :smile:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If you arrive after hours on a Friday or over the weekend, you can attend on Monday. It's also not within 24 hrs of arriving in Thailand but within 24 hrs of arriving at your residence. It took me 3 days to drive back from Myanmar last week after sleeping in my car on the way :smile:

Fair enough : )

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He could be fined up to 2000 baht for not doing the TM30 report.

The owner should do a TM30 when you move in which I believe can be done online, You don't need too do a TM28 when you arrive unless you move too different accommodation after that, it's a 4500 baht fine for not doing a TM28, 1500 baht for the owner not doing a TM30.

Tourists are not really affected by the TM 30, since the Hotel or Guest House is obligated to report.

Another thing it is, if an expat wants to travel within Thailand, staying at friends houses. = Not staying at Hotels, Guest Houses.

Theoretically, he would have to report by TM 28, every time he ends up in another province while travelling.

The good thing about it is, that outside of the juristiction of "Tourist Hub Immigration" offices, nobody cares (or knows) about TM 30/28.
Always under the Motto: We are in Nakhon Nowhere, and Bangkok is far away.
Cheers.

1 minute ago, chicowoodduck said:

This rule has been on the books for over 5 years....they are no just trying to enforce it.....just take the worry out of the equation and go do it.....simple and easy...?

It has been in the immigration act of 1979 for about 38 years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Probably because most people arriving in the country would not need to do the report because they are tourists who would be staying in hotels and etc that would do the reporting and/or would have no reason to do anything at an immigration office. Another reason is that it is not the residents responsibility to do a report.

If as you say,.... it is not the residents responsibility to do the report....then why would he be fined 2000 Baht for not reporting.....as stated earlier. In any case, he is not the owner or house master whatever way a particular Immigration Office decides to interpret the rules

21 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

If as you say,.... it is not the residents responsibility to do the report....then why would he be fined 2000 Baht for not reporting.....as stated earlier. In any case, he is not the owner or house master whatever way a particular Immigration Office decides to interpret the rules

They stretch rule to include them as the tenant of the residence. That can only apply if they have a rental agreement.

11 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Now you know about it, you neither have to go to immigration and ask...or moan about it. You can tell all your friends and they can do the same....No need to moan about it anymore.

11 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Now you know about it, you neither have to go to immigration and ask...or moan about it. You can tell all your friends and they can do the same....No need to moan about it anymore.

You just don't get it do you?

11 hours ago, dentonian said:

Well it might surprise you but where do you think the law on address reporting is written?

You are missing the point. If it is a requirement to report, people should be advised. Is that clear enough for you? I have a notice stapled into my passport every 90 days that tells me when to report next, I also have a stamp in my passport that tells me when I have to renew my visa, immigration doesn't keep it a secret from me.

39 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

The friend who I mentioned in my original post was told by immigration that he was required to report, he also took his Aussie GF to report when she arrived a week later. Both had notices of their reports stapled into their passports.

Edited by giddyup

40 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

My friend was told by immigration if he had not reported he would have been fined.

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

This rule has been on the books for over 5 years....they are no just trying to enforce it.....just take the worry out of the equation and go do it.....simple and easy...?

You are also missing the point. If you haven't been notified that is a requirement to report, how are you going to know to do it?

The only thing that's absurd and off the wall is complaining about filing a form.

In your ignorance, if you bothered to check the Immigration Act, you'd find that the tenant can file a TM30.

Are you serious? How many people read an Immigration Act before arriving in a country? If reporting is a requirement, easy enough to give that info on arrival.

18 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

If the purpose of such bureaucracy is to impede tourism to Thailand, then they have succeeded and done a good job. If the purpose of such bureaucracy is to know the whereabouts of terrorists and criminals, then they should reexamine their thinking process.

Thinking process !!!!  Do they have one??

"You just don't get it do you?"

Yes he does, and that is the sad part. You always get the foreigners who can find any ridiculous excuse for stupid Thai behaviour...more Thai than the Thais some of them. 

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

If as you say,.... it is not the residents responsibility to do the report....then why would he be fined 2000 Baht for not reporting.....as stated earlier.

Well someone has to pay, they need the money. Not the Thai, who broke the rules, so get the foreigner who didn't even know the rule existed.....b...y stupid !! 

My brother comes to visit. He is a tourist, but not staying in a hotel. He stays in a condo owned by a friend who is in Australia. He will notify his Thai address on the arrival card and give to immigration at the airport. That should be really all a tourist has to do for their 10 day holiday.
However, since the condo owner is abroad, my brother will have to spend a day in Chaeng Watthana to again report his address, which he already did on arrival, just this time on a TM30 form? And if, god forbid, he intends to travel outside the province and stay at a friend's house, he would have to again do such a TM30 form and spend another day traveling to and waiting at the corresponding immigration office?
If the purpose of such bureaucracy is to impede tourism to Thailand, then they have succeeded and done a good job. If the purpose of such bureaucracy is to know the whereabouts of terrorists and criminals, then they should reexamine their thinking process.

I wouldnt bother. I have never done it. I live in my wifes house. Never had a problem. Is it worth loosing a days holiday for the threat of your brother loosing 2K baht? I would do it only if the Condo owner insists. Thats also unlikely.

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned

Section 4 : In this Act :

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

The tenant, who would no doubt also be the chief possessor as well, can be defined as the House Master and the person responsible to file the TM30 and to receive the fine for not complying.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

You are missing the point. If it is a requirement to report, people should be advised. Is that clear enough for you? I have a notice stapled into my passport every 90 days that tells me when to report next, I also have a stamp in my passport that tells me when I have to renew my visa, immigration doesn't keep it a secret from me.

Your the foreigner visiting a foreign Country, it's for you to find out the laws of that Country, not for them to tell you.

Who told you where to apply for a visa for Thailand?

Who told you where your Immigration office was?

Who told you to drive on the left?

Does somebody have to tell you everything...........Have you heard of 'Google'.

The information is all there, but easier to blame someone else for your ignorance.

By the way the stamp from Immigration doesn't tell you when to renew your 'Visa.

If you bothered to read the stamp, it states 'Extension of stay permitted until (date).

Now your going to tell me Immigration didn't tell you it wasn't Visa!

It's OK I understand, nobody has told you the difference between a Visa and an Extension of stay.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Are you serious? How many people read an Immigration Act before arriving in a country? If reporting is a requirement, easy enough to give that info on arrival.

Yes deadly serious.

I find out as much as I can about any Country before I visit it.

Last thing I want is to watch myself on an episode of  'Banged up Abroad'

Thailand couldn't make it any easier for Tourist or resident expats to stay here.

The laws are available in English, easy to understand and easy to follow.

I may not agree with them all, but I do have to respect their laws in their Country.

16 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Yes deadly serious.

I find out as much as I can about any Country before I visit it.

Last thing I want is to watch myself on an episode of  'Banged up Abroad'

Thailand couldn't make it any easier for Tourist or resident expats to stay here.

The laws are available in English, easy to understand and easy to follow.

I may not agree with them all, but I do have to respect their laws in their Country.

Jeesus, do you walk on water as well? If only we were all as perfect as you eh? Be interesting to do a poll on how many made themselves familiar with all  the immigration laws before they came. Oh of course then there are all  the legal laws that you would have to make yourself familiar with. Not sure I have enough time left to read all that.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You are just repeating the same old. Are you suggesting every falang has to wade through god knows how many pages there might be of immigration law (and is it a law or just a requirement?) so he is totally aware of his obligations, when it would be a simple matter to have that info tucked into your passport on arrival? Visa or extension of stay, you understood perfectly what I was getting at, but you prefer to be a pedantic wan*er. Here's a little task for you, show me the relevant "law" in the Immigration law book. I'm sure there will also be many others who have commented here interested besides me.

And therein lies your problem, you want someone to show you, or tell you, or do the work for you.

Google it for yourself!

And yes an Act, is law.

Just now, dentonian said:

And therein lies your problem, you want someone to show you, or tell you, or do the work for you.

Google it for yourself!

And yes an Act, is law.

Go away, you are just becoming a nuisance.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Jeesus, do you walk on water as well? If only we were all as perfect as you eh? Be interesting to do a poll on how many made themselves familiar with all  the immigration laws before they came. Oh of course then there are all  the legal laws that you would have to make yourself familiar with. Not sure I have enough time left to read all that.

Well I knew they drove on the left here, but Immigration didn't put a note in my Passport either.

Do think I should complain?

4 minutes ago, dentonian said:

:passifier:

Anyone know the procedure for obtaining a Proof of Income letter from the Australian Embassy?

Perhaps you should have Googled it.:thumbsup:

Edited by giddyup