Parents bear high school expenditures for new academic term next week

Parents bear high school expenditures for new academic term next week

IMG_1380.jpg

The opening of the new academic year 2017 will see parents paying over 50 billion baht for their children to schools.

The huge sum of money is the record high in many years, according to survey by the Center for Economic and Business Forecasting, the research arm of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC).

According to the center, the new academic year starts next week.

The center director Dr Thanawat Phonwichai said the survey on consumers’ spending behavior before the start of new academic year showed that the parents were spending more than 50 billion baht, 2.14% higher when compared with the same period last year.

The spending was high because parents earned more income enabling them to spend more on their children’s schooling.

The survey also showed that prices of learning equipment and materials are increasing, thus raising parents’ spending reaching record high.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/parents-bear-high-school-expenditures-new-academic-term-next-week/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-13

41 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The spending was high because parents earned more income enabling them to spend more on their children’s schooling.

Absolute rubbish.

42 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The survey also showed that prices of learning equipment and materials are increasing, thus raising parents’ spending reaching record high.

Now we are getting closer to the truth.

34 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

And yet in the full article it says 53% of the parents have to go to the Pawn Shop to scrape it together!

And yet of all the money the parents have to cough up, things like uniforms, shoes, and actual learning equipment and materials only sees about 5-6% of it?

Rising to 43% if you want your kid to get private tuition.

It does sort of explain why the kids coming out of the schools are none too bright though.

The opening of the new academic year 2017 will see parents paying over 50 billion baht for their children to schools

BoT to regulate personal debt to cut soaring household debt. 

Yeah, ok!             

Yes, why give their children new school uniforms every 3rd year, that is just a waist of money?! Why should they pay anything for their children's education?!
And tuition fees??? Public schools are free up to 12th grade!?

Sure, there are some costs as I can see here, the first year students need to pay a 100 Baht registration fee, buy a school uniform, pay 40 Bath for an attendance book (so they don't just lose it) and then they have some other costs. On the other hand the students here can live in the college dormitory and have 3 meals a day for free until they finish their studies.

If this does not prove to those in denial that times are tight then nothing will

I just saw a FB post from someone we know and she is selling her designer handbags to raise cash for school, all 23 of them and real not copy's. 3 years ago she was loaded and expanding her shops so whats happened?

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

First sentence is complete rubbish. Second more to the point.

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Yes, why give their children new school uniforms every 3rd year, that is just a waist of money?! Why should they pay anything for their children's education?!

Sure, there are some costs as I can see here, the first year students need to pay a 100 Baht registration fee, buy a school uniform, pay 40 Bath for an attendance book (so they don't just lose it) and then they have some other costs. On the other hand the students here can live in the college dormitory and have 3 meals a day for free until they finish their studies.

Kids are growing so it's easy to see how they would need new uniform clothing. The boys shirt/shorts uniform is simple but the girl's uniform with long skirt looks like something from the 1950's. Same with the leather book bags they carry. A back pack would be cheaper.

If this does not prove to those in denial that times are tight then nothing will

I just saw a FB post from someone we know and she is selling her designer handbags to raise cash for school, all 23 of them and real not copy's. 3 years ago she was loaded and expanding her shops so whats happened?

Who is this person we all know? Rich and has stores but now bankrupt and selling her fashion collection. Not seen anyone who matches this description in the news recently or before, hmmm! Please do tell.

1 minute ago, Wilsonandson said:

Who is this person we all know? Rich and has stores but now bankrupt and selling her fashion collection. Not seen anyone who matches this description in the news recently or before, hmmm! Please do tell.

She is a normal lady who was a nurse and then opened a coffee shop and had success expanding her shops and had 9 I think in the end. Who said she had gone bankrupt? Who said she was famous. I said WE Know Meaning my wife and I.

You appear to not understand what I wrote in good old fashioned plain English. Next you will tell me the phrase The writing was on the wall I should have seen this coming means I wrote on a web wall somewhere.

Hope that explains what I wrote

30 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Kids are growing so it's easy to see how they would need new uniform clothing. The boys shirt/shorts uniform is simple but the girl's uniform with long skirt looks like something from the 1950's. Same with the leather book bags they carry. A back pack would be cheaper.

What's with stitching the name and student number onto uniforms? There is no way they can be recycled for other kids to use. My son has many old uniforms he could donate to poorer schools, but they can't use them. Names and numbers should go onto badges so they can be removed. This would save millions country-wide each year. In poorer regions, many kids only have one uniform, and often no proper school shoes. It's a disgrace. 

12 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

She is a normal lady who was a nurse and then opened a coffee shop and had success expanding her shops and had 9 I think in the end. Who said she had gone bankrupt? Who said she was famous. I said WE Know Meaning my wife and I.

You appear to not understand what I wrote in good old fashioned plain English. Next you will tell me the phrase The writing was on the wall I should have seen this coming means I wrote on a web wall somewhere.

Hope that explains what I wrote

What has happened.. a lot of things can happen to businesses.. believe me I seen it. She might have taken out too much cash before (hence 23 designer bags) and later forced to take out high interest loans. Other shops could have opened near her... or one other thing that often happens in Thailand the person who owns the buildings has raised rent. This is a real common one over here, i know a lady with a coffeeshop too. All of a sudden rent went up 20%.. gone is part of the profit. 

So many things can happen, can't just blame the monster you hate so much without any further details. 

Fitting children out and equipping children for a new term is certain to hit the pocket. But in some cases the big expense can come later when parents have to cough up more money to ensure their children are awarded the required pass mark to allow them to progress to the next stage of their education. The school system is as corrupt as the RTP.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the fine police force,and the constant spot checks with the  fines for no seat belts and speaking impolite ,no helmut for the rear rider etc etc...I guess i need to be reminded sometimes how <deleted> lucky I am to have them here to enforce the law...

17 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I really hope you are joking in your post. Please tell me the name of that free college with free room and board. If you are serious in your post you dont have any kids here in school or are just plain blind.

16 hours ago, DavisH said:

What's with stitching the name and student number onto uniforms? There is no way they can be recycled for other kids to use. My son has many old uniforms he could donate to poorer schools, but they can't use them. Names and numbers should go onto badges so they can be removed. This would save millions country-wide each year. In poorer regions, many kids only have one uniform, and often no proper school shoes. It's a disgrace. 

I agree with what you're saying, but the powers that be don't want these things being recycled or donated - that would result in a drop in sales and profit. Must always protect your sales. 

17 hours ago, oldgent said:

I can,t understand why the school that my boys go to has to have this special day

where they have to have another uniform and different colour shoes just more expense

Special day ? My son has to have a different uniform for every day of the week, my step daughter has two.