Legal Assistance - Is It Worth It?

I am planning to move to the states with my Thai wife and toddler (US citizen with passport) and am applying for a K3 visa (spouse visa). I have heard that the process is quite tedious and that it is by no means guaranteed that she will be granted the visa. I have checked at a company which provides assistance with this process, but the price seemed a bit high - 2500 USD. They did however say that the visa would be guaranteed (after a brief interview with us about our information). I would like to ask anyone who may know a couple questions: Is this the going rate for such legal assistance? Is it worth it to use such a service? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mickeyd

try first by yourself - especially if they already said it should be easy in your case.

be careful with them - I went to the layers just like you for a brief consultation and they charged my credit card ($2000) without my authorisation just by using my credit card details from the bank statement which they copied to create my portfolio. In thailand even layers are crooked. Had to go to their offices with a bend cop (again, all cops in thailand are bend) to get my money back.

I was married in Thailand many years ago and lived here with my wife but we decided to go to the USA and work for a few years to save money. When we went to the American embassy in Bangkok they told me not to say we were married and get a K1 visa and get married in the states because the process would be easier and faster. I had to return to the USA fill out the proper paper work and she had to do the paper work here but the entire process only took 2 months. Honestly it seemed so much faster and easier than dealing with the embassy and anytime I had a question I could call USNIS and they were polite, friendly and helpful. I did all the paperwork myself, is was quite simple and fast. Good luck, but I doubt you will need it, the process is easier than you think.

try first by yourself - especially if they already said it should be easy in your case.

be careful with them - I went to the layers just like you for a brief consultation and they charged my credit card ($2000) without my authorisation just by using my credit card details from the bank statement which they copied to create my portfolio. In thailand even layers are crooked. Had to go to their offices with a bend cop (again, all cops in thailand are bend) to get my money back.

try ezvisa.com. 899 usd but doing yourself in us is advised

No it is not worth it to hire a lawyer. It can even be a detriment as it looks like your trying to hide something. (Not my words. Immigration officials have told me this.)

You’re paying someone $2500 to ask you the questions on the form and write down the answers for you. Go to US immigration web site. Download the forms and do it yourself. It is tedious, but then I'm bureaucracy challenged.

DrFisher is right. Fiance visa is easier to get than a spouse.

Now, if someone is trying to hide something. Maybe a lawyer would be useful in giving tips on how to lie, bribe officials to get clean police report, fake health report, etc.

i do not see why you would need a service. i detest all the adverts and smeary come-ons. i have applied for 10s of visa personally.

get the paperwork

READ the paperwork

DO EXACTLY what it requires

submit it

call follow up and be charming

get the visa

the best part of dyi is you LEARN the process

i for one find the ez visa commercials in pattaya both smarmy and annoying. real cheap come-on, half truths - you can tell that guy is a lawyer by the manner in which he set up the interview and ans his own questions. pcn is complicit.

Edited by jinjok

I am planning to move to the states with my Thai wife and toddler (US citizen with passport) and am applying for a K3 visa (spouse visa). I have heard that the process is quite tedious and that it is by no means guaranteed that she will be granted the visa. I have checked at a company which provides assistance with this process, but the price seemed a bit high - 2500 USD. They did however say that the visa would be guaranteed (after a brief interview with us about our information). I would like to ask anyone who may know a couple questions: Is this the going rate for such legal assistance? Is it worth it to use such a service? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mickeyd

Hey..Use your smarts....How can a Thai lawyer guarantee you a visa with the U.S. Govt???? Go through the embassy and do things straight up....will not be too difficult or extreme length of time to get the visa!

:o