I bought a black cast iron frying pan in bkk

davidst01

After buying a new heavy cast iron pan Im finding that the surface is coming off the pan. For example, Im seeing black bits on my fried eggs from the surface of the pan. 

I've since read that I should have 'seasoned' the pan. Is it too late to do this now that we've had it for 1 month? Am I going to cark it from metal poisoning? 

After washing and drying the pan I've been putting it on the gas burner for a few minutes to prevent rusting. At this time I've been putting a small amount of cooking oil on white kitchen paper towel and have noticed the same black colour all over the towel. 

What is the correct way to season a cast iron pan?

Edited by davidst01

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You should never wash a cast iron pan,just wipe around with kitchen paper.

regards Worgeordie

Its impossible to just wipe with kitchen paper. Especially if the pan is left all day after cooking baked beans for example. 

Lots of advice on Goggle and YouTube videos on cast iron pans.  Soap and water is just fine for cleaning, just make sure it is completely dry.  You can re-season anytime (look for videos).

Edited by richsilver

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You should never wash a cast iron pan,just wipe around with kitchen paper.

regards Worgeordie

Very unsanitary.  I always wash the pans after using them.  Then put them in the oven after coating with some olive oil and let them bake and smoke.  Then wash again lightly after each use, just enough to get the recent cooked stuff off.  You can't just wipe a pan after cooking in it.  Bugs and bacteria and critters are about.  Re season was only needed many months later.  And if it is a true cast iron pan, over time a little bit of iron does scrape or wear off.  Nothing wrong with that. Iron is good for you, although I doubt the body can absorb iron needed for nutrition in this basic form.  If you are seeing black spots and stuff, I question the quality of the pan.

I'll second the part about it being OK to wash cast iron pans after cooking with them. But as GK said, after washing, heat the pan sufficient to remove any lingering moisture and then give the cooking surface a light coat of oil.

I've cooked with cast iron pans before, and can't recall ever having bits of the pan come off into what I was cooking. Hate to say it, but there's a lot of cheap, poorly made, falsely labeled cookware here for some reason.