Guidance on Change of Visa Status

I am a UK citizen - 54 years old, recently retired but not yet claiming a pension. I arrived in Pattaya on 2nd June - on SETV obtained in the UK. It is my plan to stay in Thailand at least 1 year.

I believe my next stage is to apply for a change of visa status to : 90 day non immigrant (Cat "O"). I have opened a Thai bank account & am in a position to transfer money from the UK (equivalent of 800k Bhat).

Once the money has arrived in my Thai bank account- can i apply for the change of visa status?

What paperwork do i need to prove the 800k bhat is in the account - do i need a print out of the balance - on the day i apply for the change of visa status ?

I have read that i need to complete form : TM.86 - besides proving i have the 800k - what other supporting documentation will i need to provide ?

What reason do i give on the TM.86 form ?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me - i am very grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As soon as the money is in the bank you can apply for the change. You have to do it prior to the last 15 days of your 60 day entry.

You will need a letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance. You also need a letter from them confirming the funds came from abroad. Copies of your updated bank book info page and the page showing your balance. Jomtien immigration will accept the letters done a few days before you apply. 

You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

You will need proof of residence. For example a rental agreement with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.

The reason on the TM86 can for retirement.

EDIT: I note @ubonjoe has replied. Take note of what he says. You can ignore me.

Once you have transferred 800,000 baht into your Thai account, you can apply for the change of status. Note that you must initiate the change of status at least 15 days before your tourist entry expires.

You must provide a copy of your bank book showing the balance of 800,000 baht at the time you request the change of status. You also need a letter from the bank (they usually know about this at the bank) that certifies the information is correct and the money was from overseas. Apart from that, at most immigration offices, you need to ensure a TM 30 "notification from the housemaster" has been submitted to show where you are living (if not in a hotel). Otherwise, I think it is just the completed form (reason: retirement) and 2,000 baht and wait. 

You probably already know that the change of status initially gives you a 90-day non immigrant entry.. Towards the end of that 90 days, you then apply for the one-year extension.

Edited by BritTim

As soon as the money is in the bank you can apply for the change. You have to do it prior to the last 15 days of your 60 day entry.
You will need a letter from the bank confirming your account and the balance. You also need a letter from them confirming the funds came from abroad. Copies of your updated bank book info page and the page showing your balance. Jomtien immigration will accept the letters done a few days before you apply. 
You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.
You will need proof of residence. For example a rental agreement with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.
The reason on the TM86 can for retirement.

Thank you UbonJoe - for your reply - i am very grateful. Currently, I am renting via AirBnB, previously when i asked the owner for a copy of the rental agreement- he claimed ignorance or that he didn't understand. For my change of visa status, will a certificate of residence be enough for proof of residence?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

isn't jomtien the immigration office that is known to 'be difficult' for the visa status change ?  i think people have suggested using an agent to assist with this (even if you have the funds in the bank, etc...).

6 hours ago, buick said:

isn't jomtien the immigration office that is known to 'be difficult' for the visa status change ?  i think people have suggested using an agent to assist with this (even if you have the funds in the bank, etc...).

Things have changed from time to time, but I believe at the moment Jomtien would accept the application and forward it for processing to Bangkok. I don't think there should be any need to pay an agent to submit the application. In the past Jomtien may have directed applicants to apply directly in Bangkok, but at the moment Bangkok is instructing people to apply at their local offices. 

On 6/25/2017 at 8:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

There have been recent reports of immigration in Bangkok turning people away. Apparently there has been a mandate that all offices should  accept the applications for a non immigrant visa. So offices are accepting the application that turned people away before.

He should check with his local office to find out if they are accepting them now.

Edited by Suradit69

7 hours ago, buick said:

The lady at the office is reported to be acting as agent, and requesting 12,100 Baht above the visa-fees for the conversion and 1-year extension. 
I would inquire with the required paperwork, and if asked for this huge 'fee', consider going to a neighboring consulate for the conversion. 

In either case, please report this back here, so we know if Jomtien is or is not doing "sticking" conversion-applicants any more.

• Like 1

if the OP arrives at jomtien immigration with the required documents and is told to provide additional documents (perhaps the 'fee' is not mentioned), that is likely a sign that an agent is needed.  it is possible the one report i read here about this office was just a one off where the applicant made some mistakes and upset some people.

OP good luck with your application.  i hope everything works out. 

Go to the Thai Immigration website and you can download the form required and you will get confirmation of what Ubonjoe and others have said.

The fee is 2000 baht and for me when I did the conversion in Udon was a relatively smooth and easy process . If you meet all the requirements I would strongly advise you not to use an agent but to do it yourself.

The reason will be retirement and they actually wrote this by hand in my passport in Thai on the change of visa stamp and the newly issued non o.

Good luck.

Edited by mlkik