Anyone been hit with duty on iHerb vitamins?

giddyup

I see on the iHerb website where they mention that you could be liable for duty for costs exceeding US$46. I have managed to receive several orders exceeding that amount, maybe lucky. Has anyone had to pay?

Luck of the draw.. i buy a lot of stuff outside Thailand vitamins cheese.. sometimes a products attracts no tax and other times the same product does. They can't check all packages so a certain amount of packages slips through. 

• 2 months later...

I was ordering under $100 ($90-something mark) per parcel until August 2017 with no duties.

Until the last order which was $102. It's now sitting in customs in Chaeng Wattana (I'm in central Bangkok) and no one on the chain of telephone numbers I was passed along can tell me how much customs or re-delivery will cost. 

The P.O. website says 60% of value of the parcel???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BigOm19

• 2 weeks later...

After being given the runaround by the EMS office/Thai customs which seems to be the same body on a parcel that was absconded to their office in Chaeng Wattana on 6.9.17 (it is 26.9.17), it was just "clarified" to me TODAY by the original number I first rang two weeks ago that there would be a 5-7% customs charge + THB50 rental PER DAY on a parcel that went over the $100 limit (at the time the order was made on the iHerb site) by $2.

I was also just told TODAY, the parcel would NOT be sent back to the USA because it is a "food and drugs" item. When I was given the impression it would be if it is not collected.

My question is: WHY THE EFF wasn't I told this the first day I rang? This is WRONG and designed to EXTORT the maximum amount of money from urgently needed items. Nutraceuticals ARE medicines to people who need them. 

Parcel value approximately THB3,384

Estimated costs

Customs at 7% THB 237

Parcel storage "rent" at THB50/day THB1,000

Taxi fare to and from Chaeng Wattana from central Bangkok THB700
TOTAL THB2,000

Edited by BigOm19

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, sky3 said:

Your post makes me worried to order... I will report back once I receive the package. On a side note it takes forever to arrive, 1 month!

My package from iHerb normally takes about 2 weeks. I have received many packages from them now, never paid duty yet. Don't worry.

Not paid any taxes yet, I normally order from iHerb 6 times per year.    Last time was in December.  

Delivery time varies, from 2 weeks up to 4-5 weeks.  

I just stick strictly to the limit and order multiple packages at no extra cost. Sounds like a few have been lucky but why take the risk when their website clearly outlines the dollar amount you may be taxed at?

5 hours ago, starky said:

I just stick strictly to the limit and order multiple packages at no extra cost. Sounds like a few have been lucky but why take the risk when their website clearly outlines the dollar amount you may be taxed at?

Don't you pay postage on every separate package?

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Don't you pay postage on every separate package?

Yes but iherb by regular post up to the limit the costs are negligible...like 80-100 baht and it all still seems to arrive pretty promptly. Works for me. Went to buy something small from eBay from the US the other day the item was 48 the postage was 69 and the eBay pre paid price to avoid tax was over 50 dollars.. It's ridiculous the import duty here as you well know so why take the punt?