What do I have to do to get my bowels moving again?

giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I did take a course of antibiotics for a bad chest infection just over a month ago. I have also been taking Acidophilus 3 billion from iHerb daily.

Aha!

3 billion sounds alot but is nowhere near sufficient.

I take PB8 two daily which has 14 billion good bacteria. Not because I was constipated, but for maintenance.

You can obtain brands with more than 14 billion and this I'd recommend.

It is not 'normal' to defecate once a day. A healthy individual will do so after every main meal. Personally, I go first thing every morning and again within an hour after each meal, hence usually four times a day. I eat a healthy diet consisting of oat porridge for breakfast and plenty of fruit and vegetables. No meat or wheat or processed foods.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Antonymous said:

Aha!

I take PB8 two daily which has 14 billion good bacteria. Not because I was constipated, but for maintenance.

It is not 'normal' to defecate once a day. A healthy individual will do so after every main meal. Personally, I go first thing every morning and again within an hour after each meal, hence usually four times a day. I eat a healthy diet consisting of oat porridge for breakfast and plenty of fruit and vegetables. No meat or wheat or processed foods.

What is normal? In my 75 years the number of times I've had more that one bowel movement a day I could count on one hand. I'm pretty sure 4 times a day would be more an exception than the rule.

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

I know that's good advice, but I don't want to turn into one of those hypochondriacs that rush off to the hospital every time there's some change in my body. After all, at 75 I don't expect everything to work as well as it once did, and certainly constipation isn't unheard of in the elderly. I have had minor concerns with my lungs, prostate, throat and eyes in the last couple of years, All have checked out as nothing to worry about.

I lost a daughter because she didn't want to appear to be a hypochondriac.  As a consequence, I see a doctor for almost anything, and the cost is irrelevant.

You're right.....constipation isn't unheard of in the elderly, but it seems it's unusual for you.

Get your ar$e along to a doctor and have a camera stuck up it.

Edited by F4UCorsair

'They might be able to help you organise a coffee colema to get your bowels going. You will have to take a fair bit of probiotics after.'
You wouldn't want a coffee colema if you have any stomach problems. And at 75 getting the tube and solution up your bottom would be difficult.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What is normal? In my 75 years the number of times I've had more that one bowel movement a day I could count on one hand. I'm pretty sure 4 times a day would be more an exception than the rule.

"The amount of bowl movements a day that someone should have varies from person to person, so there is not one specific number that is considered completely “normal”; however most experts agree that it’s important to go to the bathroom at least three or more times per week at a minimum."

https://draxe.com/poop/

I take back what I said about once a day not being normal. What is 'normal' depends on the individual and what you eat. Anything from 3x a week to 3x a day 9generally speaking) would be considered normal and the latest research that I have read suggests that a healthy individual 'should' evacuate the bowel after each main meal.

The point in your case is that you stopped being regular and you are looking for the cause of that. The course of antibiotics would be my first clue and the probiotics the obvious simple solution.

Definitely get the colonoscopy and then report back with the results.  All the best "standard practices" for maintaining good bowel health have already been shared on this thread and now the suggestions are becoming less than helpful.  

The OP is very fortunate that he's been so regular for so long.  He's been a little lacking in not having a colonoscopy ever in his life.  You should start having them every 5 to 10 years (depending on the recommendation of your doctor given you family history and results of your colonoscopy) starting at age 50.  Colon cancer is very treatable when caught early and they can snip out the polyps that can grow to become cancer during the colonoscopy.  I had some snipped during my first colonoscopy at age 50.  Think of what they could have become if I'd waited until age 75?  

Some observations you are 75, I am 72, you are not doing so badly

Some suggestions

Full medical if you have not had one for 18 mths

Listen to Sheryl she is well informed and very knowledgeable

I have had many scans , ultrasounds, colonoscopies and more over the last 18 mths

I was having regular checkups here and was assured all OK

I took things into my own hands and went to India, and discovered prostate and colorectal cancer

Choose your hospitals and even more importantly your doctors very carefully and be inquisitive and ask questions

I very much like Chulalongkorn hospital in Bangkok despite living in khonkaen, and have a wonderful team of doctors there looking after me, at affordable cost, I am uninsured, also comfortable with that

If you think I might be able to help please PM me and I will give you my tel no 

God Bless and good luck

Edit colonoscopy at Chulalongkorn around 8/10,000 bhatt, two shot sedation very painless, I am booked for another at the end of August

I did have another at a country hospital in India, horendous but only cost 2500 Bhatt, you get what you pay for and learn by your mistakes, very very big mistake but had been advised very good no pain do not worry

Edited by al007

For long time use, a herbal tea will do the trick.

Start with a  cup per day,pref bedtime for couple of weeks. Then gradually reduce to 2 pr week. To detoxyfy the body, get shut of constipation and flatulence, you need;

Senna leaves, bael, chamomile, east indian screw tree.

A trad herbal store can do ready mixed, but better do yourself. Ask directions for preparing boiling and storage.

As others has mentioned - if you have experienced quite big changes in your toilet habits it might be wise to seek help from a doctor.

Two options to cure constipation and the most acute one is of course medication or other rapid working things such as you already have been using. From enema to many different laxatives.

The better option and more long term option is to get these 3 things right:

1. Stay hydrated - if youre not drinking sufficient - your intestins will suck up fluids from your feces and feces will be less volume and drier and thus it will not make your bowl contract and work as good as if you have been sufficient hydrated. 

2. Eat foods with fiber. It seems youre pretty good with fruits, vegetables, nuts etc. Maybe add some oat, rye bread or similar and other foods with lots of fiber. White rice and noodles does not have much fiber so it wont help much. 

Its important to get the volume in your bowl big so your intestins are stimulated to work and emptying easier.

3. Exercise - important factor too. Walk, svim, whatever youre comfortable with. 

Chok dee thi Hong Naam ?

Edited by Mangkhut

Aha!

I take the same brand from iherb. Works a treat

OP try now food magnesium citrate 250tabs (pretty cheap for a 4 months bottle)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If there is no movement for a couple weeks you HAVE to go to get it checked immediately. No ifs or butts!. Could be cancer. 4 Days is not so extreme and can be as simple as a lack of exercise, Not enough water and too much rice. I have noticed over time that rainy season im a little slow. Not sure if humidity plays a part in dehydration or not but there is some correlation for myself.

Try a coffee enema if your fit enough as you wont end up with the bloating of laxatives or high fiber additives. That will clear things out and EXERCISE in conjunction with high fiber and PLENTY of water. Limit the rice! People don't need to be as regular as popular magazine articles and such will tell you. Only sure way to make sure all is fine though is take the tests.

Psyllium husks!...  2 table spoons in a glass of water.. 2 or 3 times a week.. a natural product .. no chemicals.. works a treat.. makes going easy!  It is a 100% natural soluble fiber ..  I have been using it for years on advice from my gastroenterologist..

It is a bit gluggy to get down but pretty much tasteless.. follow 2 tablespoons in a glass of water with another glass of water 15 or 20 minutes later.. it absorbs a lot of water.. .. 

I get mine when I visit Australia.. from the health food section of most supermarkets or health food shops.. $16 / 500 grams....  here is a link for a supplier for Thailand  ..318 Bt for 450 grams.. about 6 months supply..   https://th.iherb.com/c/psyllium-husk?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7pHLBRDqs-X8hZ3Mgp0BEiQAXIo9ro6_Jy_uu1Us0LlHN3Ogw1C3yk84srkWEzrqKX1VW6YaAl3D8P8HAQ

I highly recommenced  psyllium husks for anyone who has digestive problems.. it lowers risk of bowel cancer too..  use Google and check it out... good luck..

Edited by Laza 45
..price correction..

At the risk of being outspoken, there are a lot of suggestions being made

Subject to the OP either having insurance or being able to pay, IT IS TOTAL AND UTTER CRASS STUPIDITY NOT TO SEEK PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, 

I do not apologise because I  feel very strongly on this matter

We are not doctors

We make some of our own luck

By finding my cancers relatively early, I have a chance, and only a chance of surviving

39 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Psyllium husks!...  2 table spoons in a glass of water.. 2 or 3 times a week.. a natural product .. no chemicals.. works a treat.. makes going easy!  It is a 100% natural soluble fiber ..  I have been using it for years on advice from my gastroenterologist..

It is a bit gluggy to get down but pretty much tasteless.. follow 2 tablespoons in a glass of water with another glass of water 15 or 20 minutes later.. it absorbs a lot of water.. .. 

I get mine when I visit Australia.. from the health food section of most supermarkets or health food shops.. $16 / 500 grams....  here is a link for a supplier for Thailand  ..318 Bt for 450 grams.. about 6 months supply..   https://th.iherb.com/c/psyllium-husk?gclid=Cj0KEQjw7pHLBRDqs-X8hZ3Mgp0BEiQAXIo9ro6_Jy_uu1Us0LlHN3Ogw1C3yk84srkWEzrqKX1VW6YaAl3D8P8HAQ

I highly recommenced  psyllium husks for anyone who has digestive problems.. it lowers risk of bowel cancer too..  use Google and check it out... good luck..

Thanks. I do have some Fibregel which I think is the same thing.

Same problem. Docs in Phuket said do not worry. Laxatives a no-no. Had a colonoscopy - few diverticulae - but no real worries.

I eat lots of fibre (oats and stuff) and so on. Feel fine. Exercise pretty well daily. Tried a thing called "Peg" here in Canada that did work. But I am 79 now, and I think  (hope??) it is a function of age. This getting old.... no fun.

I'd not worry too much. Drink lots of water as other Posters have said.

Hang in there Mate - all will be OK!! Mark my words.

1 minute ago, Altalake said:

Same problem. Docs in Phuket said do not worry. Laxatives a no-no. Had a colonoscopy - few diverticulae - but no real worries.

I eat lots of fibre (oats and stuff) and so on. Feel fine. Exercise pretty well daily. Tried a thing called "Peg" here in Canada that did work. But I am 79 now, and I think  (hope??) it is a function of age. This getting old.... no fun.

I'd not worry too much. Drink lots of water as other Posters have said.

Hang in there Mate - all will be OK!! Mark my words.

Thanks. As someone once said, "getting old ain't for pussies!"

In the first place giddyup, take the advice for a trip to a good Doctor as advised by a few here, could save you a lot of problems and cash in the end, and if there's nothing physically wrong, try a small amount of 'Castor oil' in the morning, but be ready with toilet door open and seat down,for up to an hour after taking, Apple cider vinegar is also a good one mixed with Honey or 'sprite', if you prefer, and like the Castor one will clear up 'small' infections, I do not have the problem, but, whenever I eat fruit that is a bit overripe, like Mango, I'm off the 'the place for dumping' pretty quickly.hope this helps.

My suggestion is upon waking in the morning, get up and drink 500ml of room temp water. That gets everything working properly. Relax for an hour before eating anything.

Above all seek medical advise, could be nothing or could be a disaster. Pay the money and get it checked out.

Money can't buy your health back, but it sure can save your life.

Good fortune.

Edited by Inepto Cracy
correction.

My post and the OP’s reply seem to have disappeared. Maybe because I included a website link? Sorry mods if that’s not allowed.

For the benefit of anyone concerned with possible colorectal cancer and who for whatever reasons does not want to involve doctors, hospitals and clinics in the diagnosis, you can obtain a test kit to do it at home. One such is available by mail order from PB Labs in the USA (Google them) called The Fecal Immunochemical Test 2 Pack. Costs $42 for two test kits including shipping to Thailand. Their blurb states:

"Use the same test as physicians do in the privacy of your own home quickly and accurately without a prescription or seeing a doctor.  The FIT can be performed and resulted in five minutes or less and is as easy to read as a pregnancy test.'

Hope this helps someone.

3 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

My post and the OP’s reply seem to have disappeared. Maybe because I included a website link? Sorry mods if that’s not allowed.

For the benefit of anyone concerned with possible colorectal cancer and who for whatever reasons does not want to involve doctors, hospitals and clinics in the diagnosis, you can obtain a test kit to do it at home. One such is available by mail order from PB Labs in the USA (Google them) called The Fecal Immunochemical Test 2 Pack. Costs $42 for two test kits including shipping to Thailand. Their blurb states:

"Use the same test as physicians do in the privacy of your own home quickly and accurately without a prescription or seeing a doctor.  The FIT can be performed and resulted in five minutes or less and is as easy to read as a pregnancy test.'

Hope this helps someone.

You may also get the test kits at Bangkok hospital Phuket too. Prof. Art Hiranyakas is the man to see.

2 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...you don't mention drinking water.....are you dehydrated...???

...up your water intake....???

...and have there been any other changes in your lifestyle....???

Good point.. your urine should be a light straw colour.. if darker you are not drinking enough water..

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Hydration is very important, I find that sometimes after a day of heavy exercise in the heat, even though I have seemingly quenched my thirst, it affects bowel habits for a day or two if I don't drink enough. 

I did mention in one of my responses that I drink at least 8 big glasses of water a day.

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

I just want to try some natural remedies before getting cameras stuck up my jacksie and down my gullet.. I don't want to end up like my old man who spent the last decade of his life in doctor's waiting rooms.

Dragon fruit!  แก้วมังกร  It's in season now, available everywhere.  Eat at least one entire fruit every day, more if you like.  Works wonders.  Get the kind with the red inside.   The white works as well,  but with the red, you can see what's going on.