UK Passport for my Son denied

I applied for my sons UK passport a few years ago. He was born in Thailand to a Thai Mother. We split up due to her gambling and I was awarded full custody of my son.When I applied for UK passport for him I explained our situation to them and supplied evidence of divorce and full custody and all related documents. The passport office insisted I supplied the mothers Thai birth certificate this went on for months and I made complaints about the person dealing with his application. I spoke to human rights lawer in UK and he told me son was entitled to Passport without his mothers birth certificate if I had legal fulI custody also Siam Legal Visa dept said the same. 

At the time of application I had been estranged from my Thai wife for 12 years and could not get her birth certificate. 

Is it worth trying again and have any single Mothers or Fathers had a similar experience

I got my 1 year old son, born in Thailand, a UK passport, applying in Thailand. His mother is Laotian and doesn't have a birth certificate, just a passport and Lao ID card. At the time I applied we were not married. The passport was issued without any problems.

• Like 1

Personally I would apply again. 

Be meticulous about meeting the requirements and include a written explanation about the absence of the Mothers BC.

Also remember to include certified translations of any Thai documentation.

Edited by perthperson

The advice you received was poor, on the assumption that you are applying from Thailand.You need the mother's birth certificate.

The rules are crystal clear and the documents they require are stated here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

I guess exceptions must be made in cases where the mother doesn't have one, like in my case.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The advice you received was poor, on the assumption that you are applying from Thailand.You need the mother's birth certificate.

The rules are crystal clear and the documents they require are stated here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

He states quite clearly that the mothers BC is not available.  His case is not unique and the "rules" are not set in concrete. 

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

I guess exceptions must be made in cases where the mother doesn't have one, like in my case.

Yes, I agree.

In the case of the OP I suspect that the document is available but she isn't playing ball.

That issue may need to be addressed without taking a high and mighty approach to the problem. To achieve anything with HMPO (when you cannot comply with their requirements) needs cooperation and not confrontation.

Just now, perthperson said:

He states quite clearly that the mothers BC is not available.  His case is not unique and the "rules" are not set in concrete. 

Incorrect.

He said he "couldn't get it".

Just now, Jip99 said:

Incorrect.

He said he "couldn't get it".

You are playing with semantics ! 

"At the time of application I had been estranged from my Thai wife for 12 years and could not get her birth certificate." 

"Couldn't get" = "Not available"  

It is also likely the OP  is not in contact with his ex and even more likely he doesn't know where she is. 

• 3 months later...

I am about to try for a British passport for my son and I have the same circumstances as the OP.

I rung the passport advice in the UK and was told that if I have a Court Order giving me sole custourdy of my son, his mother's Birth Cert. would not be needed so I will soon find out he it was good info

I did take the advisers name and his extension number (he would not give me his surname) so I will quote this on the form

Slightly off topic, sorry to the OP.

Can you apply for a UK passport for a Thai born son without going through the registration papers first? Or do I have to register his birth, wait for the confirmation and then apply for the passport?

Yes, you can. There is no need to register the birth with the UK authorities. Just apply for his UK passport.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Can you apply for a UK passport for a Thai born son without going through the registration papers first?

As per brewsterbudgen's reply, it is not a requirement to register the birth with the UK authorities, however, personally I would do this, as it could come in very handy in the future, especially if you ever plan on moving back to UK with the child, as the BC is needed to register for school, doctors and so on.

Otherwise you will have to get the Thai BC translated and certified for use in the UK, much easier just to get the UK birth certificate in the first place IMO.

• Like 1

"At the time of application I had been estranged from my Thai wife for 12 years and could not get her birth certificate. "

Did my kid when he was born 6 years back, my wife didn't have a birth certificate and they accepted her ID card.

Woman at the British Consulate in Chiang Mai said lots of Thai women didn't have birth certificates.

Passport and British registered overseas birth certificate arrived in under 6 weeks.