Panama???

Mario666

Hi Folks,

I have lived on Samui for 7 years and traveled throughout Thailand,  most European countries, Australia, NZ, USA, etc., but I have had "Island Fever" for some time now.

I am 59, English and thinking about relocation to South America. I don't speak Spanish yet but I am reasonable at picking up languages.

A friend of mine recently moved to Panama and loves it.

I would like to explore South America despite the risks...... I am an ex diver North Sea and ex military. Also ride a motorbike every day on Samui so clearly not bothered!:smile:

What do you reckon to Panama as a place to live/ base to explore South America?

All replies welcome...Thanks! :thumbsup:

Well as you are so well traveled then you should know that Panama is not an ideal base being in Central America !!

Suggest if your aim is to explore South America then it would be wiser to actually choose a base in South America.  For that you could go to Argentina. lovely country and despite the issue regarding the Malvinas, they are still friendly towards the Brits.

my wife and I relocated to Peru for a year for work. Overall experience was Stella. Neither of us wanted to leave when the contract ended and we both want to return. Friendly place, good food, reasonable pricing and the locals always made us feel welcome. Recommended to all as a great place to visit. 

Well of course Panama is in Central America but I'm sure there are good air connections to both North and South America. 

They have a very long standing retirement visa program that offers much more residency stability than Thailand and at low financial requirements.

In Central America, I've only visited Costa Rica but my impression is Panama weather is very hot and humid.

Nicaragua, especially the colonial city on a lake Granada is gaining in popularity. 

Then there is Belize. It's an English speaking nation. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Well of course Panama is in Central America but I'm sure there are good air connections to both North and South America. 

They have a very long standing retirement visa program that offers much more residency stability than Thailand and at low financial requirements.

In Central America, I've only visited Costa Rica but my impression is Panama weather is very hot and humid.

Nicaragua, especially the colonial city on a lake Granada is gaining in popularity. 

Then there is Belize. It's an English speaking nation. 

OK JT, spill your guts: How much does "Residency Stability" cost in Panama?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

OK JT, spill your guts: How much does "Residency Stability" cost in Panama?

Cheers.

As far as I can tell, Panama experts are free to correct this, show a pension (Iifetime income) of a mere 1,000 dollars per month (much less than Thailand requires for only one year on the income method) and have pensionado status for life. If Panama raises the requirement later, grandfathering is guaranteed. Or choose a path towards citizenship (I think after 5 years). The pension can be as low as 750 dollars if you purchase real estate of a minimum 100,000 dollars.

Other programs for non-retirees of course. 

However, you generally need a lawyer to deal with their visa system, it takes months to process, and Latin American bureaucracy is a thing that might make Thai immigration look good. 

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As far as I can tell, Panama experts are free to correct this, show a pension (Iifetime income) of a mere 1,000 dollars per month (much less than Thailand requires for only one year on the income method) and have pensionado status for life. If Panama raises the requirement later, grandfathering is guaranteed. Or choose a path towards citizenship (I think after 5 years). The pension can be as low as 750 dollars if you purchase real estate of a minimum 100,000 dollars.

Other programs for non-retirees of course. 

However, you generally need a lawyer to deal with their visa system, it takes months to process, and Latin American bureaucracy is a thing that might make Thai immigration look good. 

The pension- requirements are very reasonable. But the other "Flyes in the ointment" = dealing with lawyers endlessly? I'd rather not. But THX & cheers.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

The pension- requirements are very reasonable. But the other "Flyes in the ointment" = dealing with lawyers endlessly? I'd rather not. But THX & cheers.

Not endless. The pensionado status is for life because you've proven a lifetime income so no logical need to do that again. Also the government there guarantees the status won't change if the financial requirements are raised for later applicants. No annual extensions. Another OPTIONAL process later if you think you want citizenship. I've seen estimates of a few thousand dollars and six months to process. 

Pensionado status comes with financial benefits as well (tax breaks, discounts, etc.)

Panama openly welcomes retired expats in a dramatic way. 

But I think you still really should want to live there regardless of how attractive their visa program is.

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, keeniau96 said:

Americans prefer Costa Rica, stable and law-abiding, good climate up in the central region, great beaches. Colombia is quite good, Chile and Argentina are even better from my personal experience.

Americans mostly prefer Mexico, which is in North America but still Latin American. 

There are  lot of diverse options south of the Canadian border!