Is an entry stamp into another country necessary?

Do you need to have an actual entry stamp into another country when doing a visa run? For instance, when flying MAS into KL, it is much easier to just hop off the plane and wait for the flight out intstead of having to clear immigration.  What is the actual law for a Non O 1 year in which you are supposed to leave the country every 90 days?  I'd rather not have unnecessary stamps in the passport.

Edited by steelepulse

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Discussed to death. Yes you do need it.

Why?

I could go to Singapore for instance, who have now introduced the e-gate entry for British passports and would not have any stamps.

38 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Why?

I could go to Singapore for instance, who have now introduced the e-gate entry for British passports and would not have any stamps.

It is very unusual I know but I have once, only once, been asked for my boarding card stub.

3 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Why would what country you visited when leaving matter?  

When visiting the US, a stamp is not used either.

hmmm; never thought about that however you are correct; my usa passports have never had usa entry immigration stamps; however , having said that, i did run into trouble years ago across from chiang khong when going to laos; was a problem and i had to come back to thailand; thai immigration gave me a lot of trouble; called me 'a fish in the water' (mekong river) as in 'between countries'; resolved it but a bit ugly

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It is very unusual I know but I have once, only once, been asked for my boarding card stub.

Pressed add too early.

How do you get your boarding card without going to check in?

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Can you physically get from arrivals to departure without going through Imm' on the way in?

At KL I mean

Yes, so long as you do have the onward boarding pass.

30 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

For Malaysia airlines, no worries.  Hit up the transfer desk.

Yes indeed, modern technology is making the "stamp" more difficult if one wants to fly to another country and come straight back, but it is at present a requirement and it's their rules that apply.

Easily solved if staying a day at least out of Thailand, or using a land border instead of flying.

5 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

surely if you do a visa run to your home country you won't have an entry stamp

Who is going to go home and come back on the next plane? Lot of money for nothing and doesn't happen, IMO. Even if I was mad enough to do that to my home country, it would take 24 hours minimum to do so, so no problem.

• Like 1

Some have done an in/out by air successfully without formally entering the other country. That said, you are expected to do it, and some have had big problems at immigration trying what you suggest. Unless using a country that does not stamp your passport, such as Hong Kong, it would be wise to comply with the rules strictly.

3 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

surely if you do a visa run to your home country you won't have an entry stamp

Correct never had a uk stamp in my UK passport.

On the other question Thai immigration need to see an entry and exit stamp from the country your leaving before they will stamp you in.

Two years ago i made a cock up on a border run. Nong khai went outof thialand. Went into Laos stamped in visa on arrival ect. Went to end of building and turned straight round now how or why still eludes me senior moment perhaps. Went over to duty free shops nobody stopped me. Bought some duty free spirits fags ect and walked out of shop diagonally over to bus ticket booth. Bought ticket  got on bus. Only when i got to thai immigration did i realise. After explaining and a bit of humor from immigration officer was sent back over on bus. A bit more explation to laos immigration waved through with a rye (silly farang look) smile. Did it correctly then. And picked up my untouched duty free from the thai immigration officer i left it with.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Why would what country you visited when leaving matter?  

When visiting the US, a stamp is not used either.

Same here (once upon a time), but I was not visiting... but returning home.  If I am able to remember (after the long flight back home), I will insist that I get a stamp.  It is good to have a complete record of one's travels.

Normally the stamp is checked at land borders and required.  For air it is not normally an issue if you do not have one because, as said, many countries do not provide.  But expect this could be an issue in world of computers if they see you leaving to a country doing stamps but your arrival does not have.  In the past there was internal shortcut provided for some without leaving departure airport - turn around to arrival from a connecting door - and at times boarding passes were checked to limit this.  These days suspect immigration has clear view on computer of when exit made so that type of a quick return would be noticed easily.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Correct never had a uk stamp in my UK passport.

On the other question Thai immigration need to see an entry and exit stamp from the country your leaving before they will stamp you in.

Two years ago i made a cock up on a border run. Nong khai went outof thialand. Went into Laos stamped in visa on arrival ect. Went to end of building and turned straight round now how or why still eludes me senior moment perhaps. Went over to duty free shops nobody stopped me. Bought some duty free spirits fags ect and walked out of shop diagonally over to bus ticket booth. Bought ticket  got on bus. Only when i got to thai immigration did i realise. After explaining and a bit of humor from immigration officer was sent back over on bus. A bit more explation to laos immigration waved through with a rye (silly farang look) smile. Did it correctly then. And picked up my untouched duty free from the thai immigration officer i left it with.

"On the other question Thai immigration need to see an entry and exit stamp from the country your leaving before they will stamp you in."

Only if arriving by land. Many countries don't use stamps anymore, so arriving by air a stamp is not required. But after a quick turnaround they may want to see stamps, simply to confirm you have entered another country.

Edited by stevenl

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i think i am correct in saying Thai immigration will require  entry /exit stamps of the country you have visited  for the proof to renew your 90 run  and re entry to Thailand

Of course you can say that, but you'd be wrong.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Of course you can say that, but you'd be wrong.

ok i will accept that my knowledge is not accurate about this maybe one of the frequent

posters will throw some  light on this matter  (maybe those in the know)

If departing by air, I would have thought that you are technically supposed to enter another country prior to reentering Thailand, by definition.

However, as pointed out, lots of places now do not stamp passengers in or out nowadays and this will become even more so as time goes on, at the end of the day, as far as Immigration are concerned you have left the country prior to returning, because in an airport there is no other choice and if needed they can verify this by the boarding pass if there is no stamp, I am not so sure that they want to see or even look for a stamp all of the time.

In my previous job we used to get all of the marine and project crew stamped out of Thailand when the ship departed for a project in Thai waters, the vessel would then go out and do the job and the crew would enter Thailand again either on that vessel or a crew boat and get stamped back in again, they had not been anywhere apart from offshore Thailand and it was and as far as I know it is still not an issue.

Having said this, given the so called current climate, then for the extra time it takes to go through immigration in say KLIA and the fact that you most likely have time to kill, then might as well go through and do it properly, no point in inviting possible problems,

Edited by Mattd