Proposed law would allow trans Thais to legally change gender

webfact

Proposed law would allow trans Thais to legally change gender

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Treechada “Poyd” Petcharat is one of the most famous transwomen in Thailand. Poyd built her fame after winning the Miss Tiffany title in 2004, a prestigious pageant for transwomen. Since, she has worked as an actress in Thailand and Hong Kong.

BANGKOK: -- A new law proposed by faculty at a top Thai university would be a true game-changer for the country’s trans population.

The proposed Gender Certification Act, if taken up by the country’s legislature, would allow trans citizens to legally change their gender and prove a giant step forward for the rights of trans people in the country.

Under the proposal, citizens could change their gender on legal documents, affecting everything from military draft status to social acceptance.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/proposed-law-allow-trans-thais-legally-change-gender/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-07-26

42 minutes ago, losworld said:

So you think the department of motor vehicles is using dna tests to identify you on your driver's license?

Why would they?  They can just let you fill in your preferred prefix.  Or omit it altogether.

I think it would be a great step forward for Thailand.   (Which means I'm sceptical that it'll get passed, and even more so in the current climate.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

My dear old mum, who had a rotten life with a beastly husband and ungrateful children, would sometimes give vent to her feelings on the burden of being a mere woman by shrieking "Next time I'm coming back as a man!"

Sadly, she died before gender-bending became fashionable from Bangkok to Basingstoke and remained blissfully unaware that, had she held on a bit longer, she could have had her wish in her own lifetime  - with official blessing.

Mind you, I'd have felt a bit naff making my annual pilgrimage to the cemetery and putting flowers on the graves of parents who were both blokes. . . 

Edited by Krataiboy

14 hours ago, losworld said:

Crazy.  So they can have a dick and be considered a female? Male/Female identification is based on sex via the human anatomy.  

apparently it is to do with the gender of the brain. not sure how it is checked. there is a man competing in the females weight lifting competitions in new zealand who is winning every competition they enter. seems a bit unfair and the female competitors look very pissed off.

18 hours ago, losworld said:

So you think the department of motor vehicles is using dna tests to identify you on your driver's license?

No sir but who cares what gender you are to drive ones vehicle. My point is a larger one. Your gender is XX or XY correct?

No matter ones orientation this cannot be changed correct? so an XY cannot become an XX is this correct or have I missed something salient to this discussion?:

4 minutes ago, binjalin said:

No sir but who cares what gender you are to drive ones vehicle. My point is a larger one. Your gender is XX or XY correct?

No matter ones orientation this cannot be changed correct? so an XY cannot become an XX is this correct or have I missed something salient to this discussion?:

I agree your biological gender can't be changed but once you change the plumbing a large step has been taken. Those people should indeed be able to change their gender. It would be useful for military service and other such things as toilets. Now i can understand the fear of foreigners that they now might be snagged by a ladyboy pretending to be girl. But fears should not prohibit this law as it would bring a lot of good to those who really want to change themselves. 

I don't see how this bothers other people actually, maybe some old fashioned people or religious people but it would not bother me at all. 

It's proposed. I've noticed things get "proposed" here and never happen. Like marriage equality was "proposed" here and then nothing happened. 

It is probably true if Thais could legally change their legal gender I.D. then they can legally marry a person of the opposite gender of the their birth gender. But that wouldn't help transgender persons that want to marry a person of the same sex as their birth gender. 

Edited by Jingthing

47 minutes ago, binjalin said:

not correct, many do not have usual chromosones, it is NOT merely XX or XY...

12 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

My dear old mum, who had a rotten life with a beastly husband and ungrateful children, would sometimes give vent to her feelings on the burden of being a mere woman by shrieking "Next time I'm coming back as a man!"

Sadly, she died before gender-bending became fashionable from Bangkok to Basingstoke and remained blissfully unaware that, had she held on a bit longer, she could have had her wish in her own lifetime  - with official blessing.

Mind you, I'd have felt a bit naff making my annual pilgrimage to the cemetery and putting flowers on the graves of parents who were both blokes. . . 

this is not merely a matter of "gender-bending" or "fashionable",

to many trans it is literally a matter of life or death

19 hours ago, losworld said:

Crazy.  So they can have a dick and be considered a female? Male/Female identification is based on sex via the human anatomy.  

actually, there is such a thing as "intersex", in which the person has both male and female genitalia;

it's not that uncommon, i personally have had two very good friends who were intersex (aka hermaphrodite)

3 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

not correct, many do not have usual chromosones, it is NOT merely XX or XY...

Please give links as I would like to research that. If there is a YY then I have learnt something new.

19 hours ago, binjalin said:

I'm baffled because I never see any older Trans and many change 'back' later in life. Also DNA doesn't change so I can't see how gender can change either. 

with all due resepct, that is completely false, virtually NO true trans 'change back later in life'...

somebody is either born trans or they aren't, it is not just a choice or decision or a lifestyle!!!

chromosones are not just XX or XY, and many trans do NOT have normal chromosones,

also male to female trans have often been shown to have same brain wiring as females, not males...

and if you 'never see any older Trans' i suggest that it is because you have:

1) never looked  [or]   2) not known many trans    

[or]  3) not known how to tell (most likely, especially considering that the longer one has been living as their  true self, the harder it is to discern that they have ever been anything but what they appear)

Edited by jenifer d
sentence formatting

6 minutes ago, binjalin said:

Please give links as I would like to research that. If there is a YY then I have learnt something new.

YOU can do the research, there are many scientific studies...

Just now, binjalin said:

You are making it up by suggesting Trans have different DNA

not making it up whatsoever, i have researched this extensively

-but i have better things to do that to do research for YOU that you can EASILY do yourself

6 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

with all due resepct, that is completely false, virtually NO true trans 'change back later in life'...

somebody is either born trans or they aren't, it is not just a choice or decision or a lifestyle!!!

chromosones are not just XX or XY, and many trans do NOT have normal chromosones,

also male to female trans have often been shown to have same brain wiring as females, not males...

and if you 'never see any older Trans' i suggest that it is because you have:

1) never looked  [or]   2) not known many trans    

[or]  3) not known how to tell (most likely, especially considering that the longer one has been living as their  true self, the harder it is to discern that they have ever been anything but what they appear)

How do you know that. You are projecting your bias but that aside you cannot change your DNA which DEFINES which sex you are by putting on a dress.

19 hours ago, losworld said:

Nah surely to get reclassified they must prove there commitment to their new gender and get snipped?

3 minutes ago, binjalin said:

How do you know that. You are projecting your bias but that aside you cannot change your DNA which DEFINES which sex you are by putting on a dress.

i am NOT the one with bias, but i AM the one with FACTS...

now please don't talk to me, i have better things to do than debate somebody who chooses to be

purposefully uninformed

1 minute ago, jenifer d said:

i am NOT the one with bias, but i AM the one with FACTS...

now please don't talk to me, i have better things to do than debate somebody who chooses to be

purposefully uninformed

I suspect that you are Trans and that's fine. Have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah surely to get reclassified they must prove there commitment to their new gender and get snipped?

in much of the west, trans can change gender on most ID with a doctor's diagnosis after having lived as

the assumed gender for a certain length of time, but PASSPORTS can NOT be changed until after surgery

3 minutes ago, binjalin said:

I suspect that you are Trans and that's fine. Have a nice day.

i am female and i live my dreams in the Land of Smiles-

and who, what, where, when, how or why I am is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, 

but ONE thing i am NOT is uninformed...

another thing i am NOT is lacking in compassion and understanding

Edited by jenifer d
clarification

I could care less how somebody else lives their life.

Now please tell them to stop harassing/groping and stealing? If they want to be treated normally then act like a human should act.

Sorry they have a bad rap, but it's been self inflicted over the years.