Router setup

Dipterocarp

I have a ASUS router purchased preloaded with a VPN service firmware called "Tomato". I used at one location it in the States, no problem basically plug and play.

Now I'm trying to set it up in Japan actually. My service provide'rs modem requires  connecting using PPPoE (username and password.).

I can access the Router settings using the number IP provided. Put the proper settings in PPPoE but no joy, the internet light on the router illuminates but no web pages load, any ideas?

I don't know the modem was installed by the NTT tech who visited. I don't think I can do anything with the modem. BTW I have tried my Apple time capsule and an Apple airport express at this location, have no issues connecting to the internet (meaning pages load).

(I'm pretty much a computer dummy, sorry)

Well then it seems the modem is working and you shouldn't be trying to have the router connect via PPPoE
Try setting router WAN connection type to a static ip
(192.168.1.200 for example)
or DHCP
Can you see what IP address the Apple clients are receiving Wifi connection I assume ?

14 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

The LAN IP address showing on time capsule is 10.0.1.1

Are you trying to replace the already installed ISP provided 'Modem/Router' with the tomato router, or are you connecting it

downstream, as another device hanging off the existing ISP provided Modem/Router?

I'm assuming the later.

Short Directions:

You need to manually reconfigure the Tomato Router so it has a WAN IP address in the same range as the ISP Modem/Router/Gateway.

Long Rambling Directions:

What is the 'Gateway' address your computer gets when connecting to the Modem/Router?  That would give an indication what subnet (IP address range) the Tomato Router WAN address needs to be configured for in order to work with this service.

Most Modem/Routers will use a 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x (where X is 1-255, the Modem/Router reserving "1" for itself ). The 'Gateway' address is almost always the Modem/Router. The computer's DHCP dynamically assigned IP address will be in the same 255 nuymber 'range' but from the Modem/Router's DHCP 'Pool' of reserved IP addresses (usually 100-200, but can be anything in the 2-254 range). If you had setup access to the ISP Modem/Router all this would be displayed in the configuration settings. 

Lacking direct configuration access, we have to make educated guesses.

So knowing the 'Gateway' and the PC's assigned 'IP' addresses you know know the ISP's Modem/Router LAN-side address (aka: Gateway IP address) and your computer's IP address will be a good indicator of what addresses the ISP Modem/Router/Gateway has reserved and using for the DHCP Pool of addresses. You can then try to manually reconfigure the Tomato Router be setting it to a UNIQUE WAN IP address that's in the same x.x.x.1-255 range (but the x.x.x.1 Modem/Router/Gateway address or in the predicted DHCP Pool address range). Take a guess, set it to 192.168.0.2  -or- 192.168.0.220 and see what happens. Or try 192.168.1.2 -or- 192.168.1.220 ...it just has to match the first three numbers as the Gateway IP address given to your computer.

Thank you for your detailed response. I will read it closely later and check out the SBN forum. Don't have time to deal with it today,  I may be out of my tech depth anyway .

I want to use the Tomato router as my Wifi environment here in Japan and do something else with the time capsule. The VPN is already coming in handy.

(Funny story. I never wanted a VPN particularly but I bought a SAMSUNG smart TV in California for Mom, who lives on the US territory of Guam. I tried to set up the TV smart functions, but first you have to "Download the Terms and Conditions". Since the TV was unboxed on Guam, and not in North America it would not let me! I had long phone calls with SAMSUNG, no help. I went to a local electronics store on Guam a guy laughed at me said I "should have bought a Sony, everyone has this problem here". So I got this idea to use VPN signed up for a year VPN, ordered VPN router on line. She does not use the SMART functions and just watches Cable TV anyway but the next time I went to visit I set up the router in her house. The TV once in a Wifi Environment with a US IP downloaded the terms and conditions immediately and has no more issues.)

In Japan I think NTT has a monopoly on the line, but there are a number of different internet providers you can contract with. I chose SoftBank Hikari (fiber). First a guy from NTT comes in and sets up a Modem and tests it.  If I ordered a router from SoftBank it would have come by mail. I already have a time capsule and an airport express, and this ASUS/Tomato thing, so I did not want to buy/lease a wireless router from SoftBank, which would have been more money.

For the apple airport express and time capsule I followed the instructions Softbank sent and put in the provided username and password on the airport setup utility in PPPoE, and it works no problem. This is not to be confused with my Wifi password it is a random strong password assigned by soft bank that comes via registered mail, if I want to I can log onto the SoftBank customer service site and change it. I have not had experience with such a setup but I don't think any router can access the NTT modem without it. (Everything in Japan is extremely complicated by the way I think they like it that way. )

Edited by Dipterocarp

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

First a guy from NTT comes in and sets up a Modem and tests it.  If I ordered a router from SoftBank it would have come by mail. I already have a time capsule and an airport express, and this ASUS/Tomato thing, so I did not want to buy/lease a wireless router from SoftBank, which would have been more money.

For the apple airport express and time capsule I followed the instructions Softbank sent and put in the provided username and password on the airport setup utility in PPPoE, and it works no problem.

OK. This tells me you have Fiber Optic line connected to 'something' that is doing 'media conversion' From Fiber to Ethernet, but does not provide the PPPoE credential authentication.

Since you have successfully configured your Apple Time Capsule to act as the Gateway Router, but don't really want to use it for this function, you'll need to similarly configure the Tomato Router to be the Gateway Router. So completely IGNORE my previous post.

Normally an ISP will either provide you a STATIC connection data (consisting of IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS, etc)  -or-  dynamically issue this data electronically via an automatic DHCP request from the Gateway Router. So long as the Gateway/Router has the correct Name/Pass credentials you should then have Internet (as you do now with the Time Capsule).

You'll need to either reset the Tomato Router  -or-  connect to it and manually set it up with the data provided by NTT.  

Some ISPs will auto-configure newly connected Gateway/Router equipment via TR-069 provisioning protocol ...but It's probably easier to just enter the Tomato Router's web config and populate the required settings for the WAN port, just as you did with the Time Capsule you're wanting to replace.

I did that prior to posting my query does not work for me.

I can access the router settings at 192.168.11.1

" Basic page looks like this. I put in the same user name and password (provided by SoftBank) I used on the Time Capsule and airport express. At the bottom of this settings page there is a save button that restarts the router. I have not touched any other settings.

Internet pages still don't load and my devices do not show internet connections although the Wifi signal from the router is strong and the internet light on the router is illuminated.

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 2.28.00 PM.png