Process for selling used car

connda

My wife has a used car she is selling.  The car is registered in Lamphun with Lamphun license plates, but we have potential foreign buyers who live in Chiang Mai. 

From my understanding, the easiest way to transfer ownership is to meet with the buyer at the Lamphun DMV to do the ownership transfer.  What documents will the foreign buyer need.  I'm assuming a letter of residence, passport, and.....anything else?  I assume my wife needs her Thai ID, Blue Book, Insurance paperwork and the tax stamp/sticker in the car window which along with the insurance is current and up-to-date.

Is there anything else we should know?  

At DLT offices car change of ownership is usually straight forward but l would go and ask what you need.

When we sold, we did it at our house, we got the money gave them car book signed off, copy of wife house book, copy of wife ID and off they went. 

When I sold mine in Chiang Mai it had Bangkok number plates, just handed over Blue Book which the buyer then took to the driving centre and changed owner. Nothing else need and no problem for either party.

40 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

When I sold mine in Chiang Mai it had Bangkok number plates, just handed over Blue Book which the buyer then took to the driving centre and changed owner. Nothing else need and no problem for either party.

That would be unusual.

From the seller they normally require a signed copy of the sellers passport, a signed transfer document and a signed document allowing the transfer to take place without the seller being present.

Without those documents it would be possible for anybody with the vehicle book to simply transfer it to their name, leaving one helluva mess for the owner to get it back again.