British parents wishing to reside in Thailand

My UK Parents would dearly love to reside full time in Thailand, both are in their 70s. Having read through the visa options I was hoping somebody could just clarify to me a few questions I am unsure of

1.Are they are both required to apply for a "non immigrant" visa based on reitirement from the UK first ?

2. Do they then apply for the first "yearly" extension before the 1st 90 days are up at the local immigration office in Thailand where they will be staying ?

3. Am I correct in reading that because they are both over 70, the required  financial condition for the yearly extension is 200,000 baht "each" and / or a monthly income/pension of 65,000 baht.

4. Are they both required to have Thai bank accounts when producing financial proof to Thai Immigration, or is a joint account sufficient  ?

5. Is there any other important information I may have overlooked, which is also required ??

Many Thanks 

IF they bare choosing that route with extension of stay based on retirement, they can do it like this.

a - Both buy a non immigrant "O in England

b - One of them aply after the first 60 days of that entry to Thailand at Immigration for an exten sion of stay....

c - He/she needs to proove a monthly income of 65.000 baht OR having a thaibankaccount with at least 400.000 baht for 2 months to show for.

d - This thing with the age of 70 forget it, noit in existence here in Thailand at least.. Plse someone correct me if I am wrong!!

e - After he/she got his extension of stay, the other can apply for the same extension as the "dependent", and do NOT have to show any money at all.....

So to conclude; your points;

1 - yes apply in England for a Non Immigrant "O" whatever kind that suits them..

2 - Yes during the last 30 days of that entry but there need to be at least 15 das left on that entry.. So between 30 down to 15 days left they can apply..

3 - 70 stuff never heard about in my life.... and moneyincome see my point c)

4 - Do not know- await further answers plse....

Wait also for more answers as if you have more questions and maybe suggestions can be handy..

Glegolo

800,000 Baht in the bank each if they both want to apply for retirement status.

Or 800,000 Baht if one of them wants to apply and the other one can apply as their dependent with no finances needed.

800,000 in the bank OR 65,000 a month OR a combination of both.

Edited by Phuket Man

OP - I suggest that you take a read of Police Order 327/2557, an English version of which can be downloaded via item 10 of the pinned topic at https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/. Basically one of your parents will, in due course, need to apply for annual extensions of stay on the basis of retirement as set out at section 2.22, with the other parent applying for such extensions on dependency grounds as set out at section 2.20.

If proving finances on the basis of at least 800,000 THB in a Thai bank, the "retiree" parent will need to hold this amount in an account which is solely in their name (in other words, NOT a joint account with the "dependant" parent). Furthermore the 800,000 THB will need to be seasoned continuously in the account for at least 60 days prior to the initial extension of stay application and for 90 days before each subsequent annual application.

Regarding the non-immigrant type "O" visas which, as already said, your parents will require before relocating to Thailand, they (your parents) should be eligible for these (visas) from the Royal Thai Embassy in London as (presumably) recipients of the State Pension. The evidence which they will need to provide to the Embassy in support of their visa applications will take the form of their latest rate notification letters from the DWP.

It is, however, important for your parents to realise that, once they have relocated to Thailand, they will no longer be eligible for the annual "triple-lock" State Pension increases.

Further visa info is contained on the Embassy's website at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa (although you will need to scroll down somewhat for the info which will be relevant to your parents).

Edited by OJAS

47 minutes ago, OJAS said:

OP - I suggest that you take a read of Police Order 327/2557, an English version of which can be downloaded via item 10 of the pinned topic at https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/. Basically one of your parents will, in due course, need to apply for annual extensions of stay on the basis of retirement as set out at section 2.22, with the other parent applying for such extensions on dependency grounds as set out at section 2.20.

If proving finances on the basis of at least 800,000 THB in a Thai bank, the "retiree" parent will need to hold this amount in an account which is solely in their name (in other words, NOT a joint account with the "dependant" parent). Furthermore the 800,000 THB will need to be seasoned continuously in the account for at least 60 days prior to the initial extension of stay application and for 90 days before each subsequent annual application.

Regarding the non-immigrant type "O" visas which, as already said, your parents will require before relocating to Thailand, they (your parents) should be eligible for these (visas) from the Royal Thai Embassy in London as (presumably) recipients of the State Pension. The evidence which they will need to provide to the Embassy in support of their visa applications will take the form of their latest rate notification letters from the DWP.

It is, however, important for your parents to realise that, once they have relocated to Thailand, they will no longer be eligible for the annual "triple-lock" State Pension increases.

Further visa info is contained on the Embassy's website at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa (although you will need to scroll down somewhat for the info which will be relevant to your parents).

A further point which I should have added is that, come the time your parents need to start applying for annual extensions of stay here in Thailand, Immigration will almost certainly require their marriage certificate to be formally legalised as a prerequisite to granting extensions to the "dependant" parent. This will necessitate them going through a tediously bureaucratic process as descibed in the following downloads:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461072/legalisation_infographic.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461071/Legalising_a_signature_or_seal_final_Sept_15.pdf

IMHO, therefore, your parents would be strongly advised to get this all sorted before moving to Thailand.

1 hour ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Perhaps a major concern for them, since both are over 70, could be  medical insurance coverage.  Really need to look at this before making the move.

Mac

they do need to sum up the state of their health,the heat and the humidity are not reccomended if you have breathing problems.

plus your old age pension's wont go far unless you have back up.

having suffered with athritus the warm climate suits me,also my internal workings had overall surgery[2007] so no need for another m.o.t. [hopefully] in the future.

i cant rearly say do i regret moving permantly here at an old age,but with us being the foster parents of our beloved SAM i wouldnt swap it for the world.

so if the ops.parents know what to expect living here all well and good.

3 hours ago, glegolo said:

IF they bare choosing that route with extension of stay based on retirement, they can do it like this.

b - One of them aply after the first 60 days of that entry to Thailand at Immigration for an exten sion of stay....

c - He/she needs to proove a monthly income of 65.000 baht OR having a thaibankaccount with at least 400.000 baht for 2 months to show for.

d - This thing with the age of 70 forget it, noit in existence here in Thailand at least.. Plse someone correct me if I am wrong!!

e - After he/she got his extension of stay, the other can apply for the same extension as the "dependent", and do NOT have to show any money at all.....

1 - yes apply in England for a Non Immigrant "O" whatever kind that suits them..

2 - Yes during the last 30 days of that entry but there need to be at least 15 das left on that entry.. So between 30 down to 15 days left they can apply..

Wait also for more answers as if you have more questions and maybe suggestions can be handy..

Glegolo

The requirements must have changed as a Retirement exemption requires Baht 800,000 for 3 months. A Thai wife visa is 400k

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

The requirements must have changed as a Retirement exemption requires Baht 800,000 for 3 months. A Thai wife visa is 400k

You are right, but that has already been mentioned and admitted by me, earlier in this thread.

Plse read the thread...

Glegolo

Good luck to your parents- I have many many friends in their seventies- even one who is 94!

The social life here can be exhausting - it's non stop events , dinner parties etc. So much more fun than dreary old England. 

I feel they need to be a little outgoing, joins clubs ( preferably not Bridge of course) , get involved in charities , maybe Rotary ( nothing like the stuffy Rotary back home) - they will have a great time.

OP you do not mention which city they are planning to live in? Somewhere with many expats. I think you must  explain the Kingdom is an expensive place, a car is necessary - unless they are real free spirits I can't imagine them living on street food and jumping on motorbike taxis. 

There is the thorny issue of health insurance- which could be expensive , or just ring fence a few million . I found all aches and pains simply disappeared in a warm climate. Humidity can be bit wearing - it's been very hot this year. 

As I say good luck to them - the visa issues are easy - an O-A will give two years if you work it correctly- my view is if you are retired- it's not much effort to do a 90 day report or retirement extension. The expat clubs will help . 

And another bonus - you can explore the region, Myanmar, Vietnam , some very reasonable cruises if they like that sort of thing. 

Regards 

6 hours ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

I have also never heard of any special exemptions for septagenarians (or higher).  The OP may be thinking of the grandfathering rules put in place when they increased the financial requirements in the early 2000s.  Anyone who had continuously held an extension based on retirement for several years at that time was grandfathered in at the old rate that was I think 200,000 lump sum in bank.  They are probably all over 70 by now.

7 hours ago, glegolo said:

Glegolo

800000 THB

Might want to test the water before moving permanently. Try a couple of tourist visas back to back before making the jump. I would never give up my UK home; got to think about what happens when you need full time care. 6 month in Thailand and the other 6 months in the UK suits me fine, and you can always work back in the UK to top up the coffers.

Edited by MaiChai

Thanks to all for the input I will go over it carefully,

I clearly overlooked section 6a below as it does state a person aged 60 or over who entered before Oct 21st 1998 only needs to show 200,000 baht annually, after that date I presume 800,000 each is required !!

Many Thanks to all

In the case of retirement:

Criteria for Consideration

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively
permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.

(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:13 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Perhaps a major concern for them, since both are over 70, could be  medical insurance coverage.  Really need to look at this before making the move.

Mac

And THAT Is certainly NOT Cheap......Think very carefully about that....