Fortuner turbo kit / tuned pickups

Xaos

I put a Racechip on the Vigo, was brill until it packed up after about 4 years..Easy 10 minute job to plug in...:stoner:

The specs they advertised for my ride was..

(163hp stock) 204 HP and 400+ft/lb torque..(approx 363 stock).

Yup, ECU shop, you get a free sticker too. Plus have a look in the 7/11, plenty of Thai motoring mags. Got all my info from "Pickup Performance" mag. Bonus,  plenty pics of scantily clad Thai girls draped over trucks, if that floats your boat.

21 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

There is a lot more to it than just bolting a turbo on a normally aspirated engine.  Many cowboys out there will sell you a system and kill your motor in the end.

Yes, the black smoke billowing out the rear is a dead giveaway. That and the 10 wheel garbage truck sound. Very impressive indeed.  

12 hours ago, fullcave said:

Yes, the black smoke billowing out the rear is a dead giveaway. That and the 10 wheel garbage truck sound. Very impressive indeed.  

Never noticed any black smoke with the racechip, probably cos there wasn't enough power added. Quick diesel rides do belch stuff out. But Audi had it sorted with their LeMans racer.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Never noticed any black smoke with the racechip, probably cos there wasn't enough power added. Quick diesel rides do belch stuff out. But Audi had it sorted with their LeMans racer.

I had smoke from my last 3lt Spivo unless I put it in a lower gear first. But then again it did have a full race chip + a few other bits done to it. 

My I suggest you don't bother as the New Fortuner 2.8lt is a different kettle of fish, has a very loose Torque converter even in sports mode using the paddle shift, or tiptronic. Unlike the old one that was tight and you got instant speed. All you'll get now is bags of revs and no instant speed. Ok it will be a tad faster but IMO not worth the cost or agro.

If you do decide to get it done please let all know the outcome.

Edited by fredob43

24 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I had smoke from my last 3lt Spivo unless I put it in a lower gear first. But then again it did have a full race chip + a few other bits done to it. 

My I suggest you don't bother as the New Fortuner 2.8lt is a different kettle of fish, has a very loose Torque converter even in sports mode using the paddle shift, or tiptronic. Unlike the old one that was tight and you got instant speed. All you'll get now is bags of revs and no instant speed. Ok it will be a tad faster but IMO not worth the cost or agro.

If you do decide to get it done please let all know the outcome.

Be interested to know how loose it is, what does it flash to...?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Be interested to know how loose it is, what does it flash to...?

I think you have the same gearbox as I had the 4 speed, with option of sticking it into 3rd by just moving the stick to the right from D. Auto change into top at 1.5rpm at 80kph.

The new 6 speed one as said is nothing like a the old set up.

Designed for high speed cruising with low revs with good fuel economy I think. The old one stick your foot down and you flew "Mine did" and instantly. New one it'll go up to 3.500+ revs before you get the same sort of acceleration if then. Before dropping back to less than 1.5th if you hold the loud peddle constant. It'll hold that as it goes through the gears till you get to over 103kph before it starts to rise.

That's of cause your gentle, stick your foot down and the revs go up yet again 3.5th + till it decides to change into higher gear. But the RAPID speed wont be there. Just revs. Well till the gearbox decides to catch up.

You do get the option of easing your foot off and it'll go into higher gear, also has some braking on the box that the last one didn't have.

Not to easy to describe.

Suggest you have a test drive in a new 6 speed one Fortuner or Revo, you will see the difference strait away. Even though they are a tad faster than the old one, nothing like the instant speed unless it changes down and you use the revs. You don't have any control of that. I now just cruse around.

N/B you cant hear the engine as I has previously said you only know what it's doing if you look at the rev counter. 

Hence I said to the OP don't bother. If I had thought it would have been faster I would have done it.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I think you have the same gearbox as I had the 4 speed, with option of sticking it into 3rd by just moving the stick to the right from D. Auto change into top at 1.5rpm at 80kph.

The new 6 speed one as said is nothing like a the old set up.

Designed for high speed cruising with low revs with good fuel economy I think. The old one stick your foot down and you flew "Mine did" and instantly. New one it'll go up to 3.500+ revs before you get the same sort of acceleration if then. Before dropping back to less than 1.5th if you hold the loud peddle constant. It'll hold that as it goes through the gears till you get to over 103kph before it starts to rise.

That's of cause your gentle, stick your foot down and the revs go up yet again 3.5th + till it decides to change into higher gear. But the RAPID speed wont be there. Just revs. Well till the gearbox decides to catch up.

You do get the option of easing your foot off and it'll go into higher gear, also has some braking on the box that the last one didn't have.

Not to easy to describe.

Suggest you have a test drive in a new 6 speed one Fortuner or Revo, you will see the difference strait away. Even though they are a tad faster than the old one, nothing like the instant speed unless it changes down and you use the revs. You don't have any control of that. I now just cruse around.

N/B you cant hear the engine as I has previously said you only know what it's doing if you look at the rev counter. 

Hence I said to the OP don't bother. If I had thought it would have been faster I would have done it.

Hmmmmm, something doesn't sound right there....As we know the 3.0 and the 2.8 have similar HP and TQ numbers at low RPM. When you have high TQ numbers at low RPM you don't need a high stall converter as these converters find/or fitted to get into a power band..Plus the new 6 speed has a ridiculously low first gear ratio which should near lift the front wheels off the ground..Both engines should never see 3,500 RPM to shift unless perhaps kickdown is used..

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Hmmmmm, something doesn't sound right there....As we know the 3.0 and the 2.8 have similar HP and TQ numbers at low RPM. When you have high TQ numbers at low RPM you don't need a high stall converter as these converters find/or fitted to get into a power band..Plus the new 6 speed has a ridiculously low first gear ratio which should near lift the front wheels off the ground..Both engines should never see 3,500 RPM to shift unless perhaps kickdown is used..

Oh Dear the expert wont like that..!:smile:

42 minutes ago, transam said:

The new one has more HP 177/161 and bigger NM. 450/430? 

Have driven a couple of 2.8lt 6 speed and all the same. As stated the torque converter is loose compared to the old 3lt one. Think it might be to ease the pressure on the gearbox. Saying that it still goes well. Lift the front wheels off not a chance though.

When I stated stick your foot down from start it would be in kick down. Not that I ever do it I just poodle away from lights, didn't do that in the old one either. Nothing to prove as I knew it went well, only used the power to overtake.

Whatever I'm very happy with it so far still rapid but mainly down to the economy. On runs in C/C I'm getting 6.3lt = 100km. Old 3lt one I was lucky to get 12lt = 100km. Even less if I stuck my foot down.

7 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The new one has more HP 177/161 and bigger NM. 450/430? 

Have driven a couple of 2.8lt 6 speed and all the same. As stated the torque converter is loose compared to the old 3lt one. Think it might be to ease the pressure on the gearbox. Saying that it still goes well. Lift the front wheels off not a chance though.

When I stated stick your foot down from start it would be in kick down. Not that I ever do it I just poodle away from lights, didn't do that in the old one either. Nothing to prove as I knew it went well, only used the power to overtake.

Whatever I'm very happy with it so far still rapid but mainly down to the economy. On runs in C/C I'm getting 6.3lt = 100km. Old 3lt one I was lucky to get 12lt = 100km. Even less if I stuck my foot down.

I for sure am not questioning your findings, just interested as l have fooled around with different stall converters..

PS..The HP/TQ numbers mean nothing between the two, just a few digits..I am just trying to take stuff on board..

11 minutes ago, transam said:

I for sure am not questioning your findings, just interested as l have fooled around with different stall converters..

PS..The HP/TQ numbers mean nothing between the two, just a few digits..I am just trying to take stuff on board..

As said go have a test drive. My local Toyo garage has a Revo 2.8 and a Fortuner for same.

Think the Tuna is a 2.4 though doesn't have the 2.8 badge. So cant really compare.

One of the big things I have found is the smooth gear changes. You could feel it in the old one if you were moving rapid. The only way you know the new one has changed is the Rev counter. 

Edited by fredob43

5 hours ago, transam said:

No, it's not a "race chip" it's the turbo upgrade. 

3 hours ago, transam said:

For TA and anyone that's interested. Just been out to give the new Tuna a go and take note Rev wise.

If you start off normal + acceleration engine rapidly climbs to 1.800rpm then changes into 2nd low first gear, if you continue to accelerate it'll go to 2.4/5th and then keep changing up still at those revs till it gets to over 110kph at that point it'll go into 6 gear and the revs will drop to 1.600.

That's if you keep the throttle /revs at the same level. Stick your foot down and the thing will sit in 5th or lower with revs to match, and only going into top when your going well over 140/50kph.

You can of cause creep along and not get anything like those revs. Slow acceleration it'll be below 1.5rpm in all gears till 105kph.

I wasn't flooring it or it would have revved a lot more. (To much traffic to go any faster than 160 on the short run I did)

• 2 weeks later...
I cant find anyone that does ECU tuning in Thailand for the Fortuner 2.8.
Might be as I stated in a previous post that the torque converter is not suitable.

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the STEINBAUER PowerModule for the ToyotaFortuner 2.8L D-4D 1GD-FTV EUR6 130 kW

Product number#230048
Price €950,- excl. 20% Austrian VAT

Our product comes with a factory map with an increase in HP of 20% from standard. All STEINBAUER modules, operate downstream from the ECU - meaning that the manufacturers safety settings remain in place. We do not increase fuel 'rail' pressure nor do we alter directly the ECU by remapping it. Neither of these tuning options are particularly safe. STEINBAUER has been developing, testing, and producing Injector Duration modules for over 20 years.

You can test the module 14 days for free!

If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to email us.

Have great day!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards 

STEINBAUER Info Austria Team

Raphaela Riegler 

c0ce448def51c9d0622ba05bfd590c4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the STEINBAUER PowerModule for the ToyotaFortuner 2.8L D-4D 1GD-FTV EUR6 130 kW

Product number#230048
Price €950,- excl. 20% Austrian VAT

Our product comes with a factory map with an increase in HP of 20% from standard. All STEINBAUER modules, operate downstream from the ECU - meaning that the manufacturers safety settings remain in place. We do not increase fuel 'rail' pressure nor do we alter directly the ECU by remapping it. Neither of these tuning options are particularly safe. STEINBAUER has been developing, testing, and producing Injector Duration modules for over 20 years.

You can test the module 14 days for free!

If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to email us.

Have great day!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards 

STEINBAUER Info Austria Team

Raphaela Riegler 

c0ce448def51c9d0622ba05bfd590c4a.jpg

I did quote Thailand. They do do the 2.8 Revo but no mention of the Fortuner.

Just look at ECU tuning Thailand and nothing comes up for the Tuner.

I did quote Thailand. They do do the 2.8 Revo but no mention of the Fortuner.
Just look at ECU tuning Thailand and nothing comes up for the Tuner.
You can order it from aus and get it fitted in thailand its 20min job

1 minute ago, Xaos said:

You can order it from aus and get it fitted in thailand its 20min job

Thanks for that but have no intention of doing so to my 2.8. Tuna. Did it on the last 3lt one with a 4 speed box, that was fine but the new 2.8 revs to much if you boot it.