Returning to Phuket from UK

Hi All

Two queries really, I've been living in Phuket for 9 months and have traveled back to Europe for Parents health matters.

Initially when I traveled out to Thailand I approached the Thai Embassy in London and I got a METV, which I was informed was for a duration of 6 months but I could extend this to a 9 month stay with visa runs and extension of stays, this was confirmed by the embassy there and numerous people, what I didn't realize until I arrived was that rather than a 6 month duration and then you enter into the additional 3 months etc it was more a case of extension of stays primarily (within the 6 month period) then 60 days afterwards the 1st visa run, then extension of stays and so on, but when I reached the 6 month period and was en route for the visa run I was informed that my visa had expired? 

So it never became a 9 month duration that I had paid for, has anybody else encountered this? And because this was of little benefit to me, when I return in November (I will have been out of the country for 4.5 months then) can I enter Thailand and be granted a 30 day pass and then commence (before the 30 days expires) with the visa run to last 90 days and then an extension of stay to last a further 30 days and repeat?  

As once in the country if you're wishing to stay long term people tend to adopt that method and would my passport showing I had previously been there for 9 months and had the extensions etc go against myself gaining entry, as right now my life is there and apartment etc.

Also I read about people being refused entry at the airport for not showing proof of at least 20.000 baht to sustain them, so I assume it's of benefit to have a bank statement with you to satisfy them?

Thank you for your time guys and assistance in this matter.

Edited by truthfix
Another important question to add.

2 hours ago, truthfix said:

So it never became a 9 month duration that I had paid for, has anybody else encountered this?

As you probably now know the METV is valid for 6 months from the date it's issued and allows for multiple entries during that 6 months. Thai visas do not specify the date you can stay until, but the date of the last possible entry. The amount of time you can stay is granted by immigration at the border. You can get nearly 9 months stay from an METV, but you need to make the first entry as close to the issue date as possible, and make a final entry as close to the 'enter before' (expiry) date of the visa. The final entry would give 60 days beyond the visas expiry date and a final 30 day extension takes you near to the 9 month mark.

Many countries issue visas with the date you can stay in the country until, however, Thailands system is different and can cause confusion.

when I return in November (I will have been out of the country for 4.5 months then) can I enter Thailand and be granted a 30 day pass and then commence (before the 30 days expires) with the visa run to last 90 days and then an extension of stay to last a further 30 days and repeat?  

If possible you should get at least a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV). They're easy obtained in the UK, and by post from the London Embassy (only). You'll get 60 days on entry that can be extended by 30 days at immigration. Further SETV's are easily obtained locally to Thailand.

You should have no problem entering without a visa, however, the airline might insist that you have an onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival. That could be a ticket to anywhere. Onward flights are not necessary if you have a visa. You'll get 30 days that can be extended by another 30 days. After 60 days you could do a border hop for a new 30 day visa exempt entry or go for a Tourist Visa form a local Embassy/Consulate. Either the new 30 day visa exempt entry or 60 day Tourist Visa entry could be extended by 30 days. You are limited to two visa exempt entries by land each calendar year. There are no set limits when entering by air, but if you do it too often you will at least get questioned about your long term tourism and possibly, although unlikely, denied entry.

Also I read about people being refused entry at the airport for not showing proof of at least 20.000 baht to sustain them, so I assume it's of benefit to have a bank statement with you to satisfy them?

You've had several months outside the country, but you've already spent 9 months as a tourist so expect (it's not a definite) to get questioned when entering in the future, especially if you are young. If you are asked to show 20K it will need to be in cash (foreign equivalent is usually accepted) or travellers cheques. Bank statements will not be accepted.

Edited by elviajero