First Visit To Thailand

themuse1969

I am pondering the idea of bringing only specialty clothing and buying daily wear locally. Do local men wear long pants or shorts? T-shirts? tropical shirts?

Gifts? Can I bring in gifts without tariff? Do Thais have CD and DVD players? What are cool gifts for Thai older (50-ish) women?

Are disposable digital cameras available locally? Or, must I bring 3-4 in? Would they be tariffed?

It was suggested to me to open a Baht cash account for the 2.5 months I'm there due to the weakening US dollar. I haven't found an institution with which to do that. My airfare rose by US$300 due to devaluation because I waited 'til late August to purchase.

To those willing to assist me, I am grateful.

-Will

I am pondering the idea of bringing only specialty clothing and buying daily wear locally. Do local men wear long pants or shorts? T-shirts? tropical shirts?

Gifts? Can I bring in gifts without tariff? Do Thais have CD and DVD players? What are cool gifts for Thai older (50-ish) women?

Are disposable digital cameras available locally? Or, must I bring 3-4 in? Would they be tariffed?

It was suggested to me to open a Baht cash account for the 2.5 months I'm there due to the weakening US dollar. I haven't found an institution with which to do that. My airfare rose by US$300 due to devaluation because I waited 'til late August to purchase.

-Will

Almost everything that is available in the west is available in Thailand. Some goods (imported) cost more, but things are generally cheap in Thailand. Thailand is good for a number of English brands, but China is better and cheaper for North American brands in clothing.

As far as clothes for men are concerned. In the cities it is considered proper to dress in long light weight slacks, and a sport or polo shirt. Shorts are the order of the day in the beach resorts. Bring just a little bit of clothing and buy everything else. When I was there last winter I stocked up on a lot of shirts, shorts etc. I found Central Department Store very good, and Paragon--although beautiful--a little pricey--but when they had a sale, there were true bargains. MBK is also good for tee shirt purchases and knock off stuff (Bangkok).

Camera's--you can get one time use cameras almost everywhere in Thailand. But, why not get a digital with a memory card that you can reuse again and again?

As for gifts to bring--I have no idea of what to tell you. How much do you plan spending? I would say that if you meet someone special, why not take them out to a shop and let them pick something out? Thailand is a very first world country--more so in many ways than North America. They have everything we have in North America and more in electronic gadgets. Your eyes will open widely once you see the selection available there. CD's and DVD's are about the same or a bit cheaper than in North America, and if you happen to go to Mai Sai border point in Burma for a day you can get very good quality pirated dvd's and cd's for next to nothing.

Bring your own currency--US dollars, I presume. They are readily changeable at almost every corner bank kiosk. You can also use your ATM card to withdraw money as you need it. Charge as many purchases in major stores and hotels to your credit card, as you get a better rate when it is charged to your account than you get at a bank when changing money.

I don't know how your airfare rose by $300 due to currency fluxuation. Every international flight originating in the US is quoted in US dollars. Rates do fluxuate do to supply and demand though.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Almost everything that is available in the west is available in Thailand. Some goods (imported) cost more, but things are generally cheap in Thailand. Thailand is good for a number of English brands, but China is better and cheaper for North American brands in clothing.

As far as clothes for men are concerned. In the cities it is considered proper to dress in long light weight slacks, and a sport or polo shirt. Shorts are the order of the day in the beach resorts. Bring just a little bit of clothing and buy everything else. When I was there last winter I stocked up on a lot of shirts, shorts etc. I found Central Department Store very good, and Paragon--although beautiful--a little pricey--but when they had a sale, there were true bargains. MBK is also good for tee shirt purchases and knock off stuff (Bangkok).

Camera's--you can get one time use cameras almost everywhere in Thailand. But, why not get a digital with a memory card that you can reuse again and again?

As for gifts to bring--I have no idea of what to tell you. How much do you plan spending? I would say that if you meet someone special, why not take them out to a shop and let them pick something out? Thailand is a very first world country--more so in many ways than North America. They have everything we have in North America and more in electronic gadgets. Your eyes will open widely once you see the selection available there. CD's and DVD's are about the same or a bit cheaper than in North America, and if you happen to go to Mai Sai border point in Burma for a day you can get very good quality pirated dvd's and cd's for next to nothing.

Bring your own currency--US dollars, I presume. They are readily changeable at almost every corner bank kiosk. You can also use your ATM card to withdraw money as you need it. Charge as many purchases in major stores and hotels to your credit card, as you get a better rate when it is charged to your account than you get at a bank when changing money.

I don't know how your airfare rose by $300 due to currency fluxuation. Every international flight originating in the US is quoted in US dollars. Rates do fluxuate do to supply and demand though.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

whatever you can get in the west you can get here ,weather original or copy ,dress all depends where you go bangkok yes long pants ,one of the islands shorts and flip flops ..

You might think twice before using a credit card from a US bank. There are two exchange rates for the US dollar to Thai baht, the onshore and the offshore exchange rate. Most credit cards use an offshore exchange rate service such as Forex which is about 10% lower then the onshore exchange rate plus the credit card bank might add on a extra charge for that service, usually 3%. Might want to check with your credit card company first.

Other than that, good advice from Shepsel.

You might think twice before using a credit card from a US bank. There are two exchange rates for the US dollar to Thai baht, the onshore and the offshore exchange rate. Most credit cards use an offshore exchange rate service such as Forex which is about 10% lower then the onshore exchange rate plus the credit card bank might add on a extra charge for that service, usually 3%. Might want to check with your credit card company first.

Other than that, good advice from Shepsel.

I used my Canadian Dollar credit cards last winter, and the statement charges were a better rate than I got cashing cash and travellers cheques at the bank.

He means what gifts to take to LOS for a Thai lady not what gifts to take home.

Clothes I only ever take shorts and t-shirts and maybe a couple of pairs of lightweight pants. There are plenty of places to buy clothes from once you get there and they are chap, 200/250baht for a t shirt and 300 up for cotton trousers.

As for gifts i have always found women like the same things where ever they are from. If your lady friend is from a not so well off background then she will be happy if you just take care of her and her family.By this I mean take them out for something to eat and drink.

Hve a great trip,I think you will find that the welcome you recieve from the Thai people is warmer and more friendly than almost anywhere on the planet.

It depends on whether you want to be seen as being respectful or a westerner on holidays. You will very rarely see a Thai man wearing shorts, even at the beach... you will see westerners in shorts, and I don't think that the Thai's are offended by it, but I usually wear long pants, unless I am doing something physical during the day...

I would think that most Thai's would have a CD and DVD player, but remember that 'Thai's can run the range from living in a slum to living in a mansion... there is a much much much larger spread of wealth than in the west...

I get the feeling from your post that you are perhaps a guy who isn't that experienced with 'the world', and coming to Thailand to meet women that you have met on the Internet already or something...

Please please please be careful here... so many western guys go to Thailand looking for love and leave emotionally and financially destroyed... try and find someone who can 'mentor' you in this, because it is fraught with danger...

I access my cash through Visa... if your visa account is in Debit, from the minute you withdraw money it is treated as a cash advance, and you start paying interest. If you pay into your visa account more than you owe, i.e., maintain a positive balance, you don't pay interest. Visa Charges a standard fee to convert the money from $US to Baht, and your bank may as well. Visa uses a wholesale rate, so it is usually cost effective to do it that way... check your bank for there fee and enter it into this form...

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_serv...er_ex_rates.jsp

-Will

If you are looking to get into a relationship in Thailand, I would suggest that you come clean on here and get some advice, you stand to loose a lot more than a bit of devaluation on your exchange rate.

Cheers,

Daewoo

DVD's ??

LOL, most of the players I have seen in Thailand are VCD. Yes, there are DVD players but many still seem to be using VCD quality so it would be advisable to check on the format first.

As for clothes I still tend to wear jeans and a T-shirt most of the time when out and about in town. For lounging around the house or for a trip to the shops, shorts are fine. Not sure about Pattaya and other places down that way but most Thais I see on an evening out are wearing trousers or jeans with a shirt. Yellow Thai shirts are generally used for all occasions. Rarely do I see anyone wearing socks.

Buying clothes depends on where you stay in Thailand. XXL sizes are not as common in many places outside of the likes of Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok. Same with shoes / flip flops. Size 44 are harder to get but if you have small feet and are of a smaller build then I see no problems. Prices are very cheap.

A very good anti-perspirant is advised. Also, trim the hairs under your armpits! It does help with the under arm sweating. Buy talcum powder too. It is very good for absorbing the sweat.

Money wise use your visa card or bring cash and exchange it at the airport as their exchange rate is usually better. $ traveller cheques incur heavier charges in my past experience although they are safer.

Have a good trip and don't forget to trim your nasal hair :o (Strange, the Thai women I have met don't like hairy noses LOL)

Put a positive balance on your credit card and withdraw funds through an ATM in Thailand, maintain a positive balance at all times by transferring funds from your savings into your credit account and you will be better off (allthough the Credit Card companies hate it when you put the card into the black).

With dress, I believe it is pretty much what you have already been advised except age is a factor, if you are over say 50 you should probably wear long pants and a collared shirt.

As for gifts, I have always found a quality bottle of red wine is appreciated and of course things from your country of origin that are unlikely to be available in Thailand.

Enjoy your trip and if you ever need advice - this is the forum to get it. (but not necessarily from me).

I have to agree with Dawoo, be carefull, Thais seem to think that all foreigners are millionaires(which most are in Thai baht, 1mill Thai Baht=30k us dollars ish). I know my wife was a bit dissapointed when she came to Englad and realised we don't have money trees here :o .

I always use my debit card and get whatever the uk exchange rate is at te time of withdrawal.I get charged a set fee for each transaction usually about $4 or $5, so I tend to draw enough cash to last a week or so.If you are going Issan (north east) your money will go a hel_l of a lot further than in Bangkock or on the Islands.

Edited by mickj88

He means what gifts to take to LOS for a Thai lady not what gifts to take home.

Clothes I only ever take shorts and t-shirts and maybe a couple of pairs of lightweight pants. There are plenty of places to buy clothes from once you get there and they are chap, 200/250baht for a t shirt and 300 up for cotton trousers.

As for gifts i have always found women like the same things where ever they are from. If your lady friend is from a not so well off background then she will be happy if you just take care of her and her family.By this I mean take them out for something to eat and drink.

Hve a great trip,I think you will find that the welcome you recieve from the Thai people is warmer and more friendly than almost anywhere on the planet.

I know what I means - The point I was trying to make is why buy the gifts at home when he can buy them cheaper in Thailand? Anyway, I always advise people to take an empty suitcase and bring a full one back so, he'd be wise to bear that in mind.

Put a positive balance on your credit card and withdraw funds through an ATM in Thailand, maintain a positive balance at all times by transferring funds from your savings into your credit account and you will be better off (allthough the Credit Card companies hate it when you put the card into the black).

With dress, I believe it is pretty much what you have already been advised except age is a factor, if you are over say 50 you should probably wear long pants and a collared shirt.

As for gifts, I have always found a quality bottle of red wine is appreciated and of course things from your country of origin that are unlikely to be available in Thailand.

Enjoy your trip and if you ever need advice - this is the forum to get it. (but not necessarily from me).

It's funny you say that about red wine; my Wife's family and friends hate it, she did too until she came to the UK and acquired the taste. A bottle of Scotch Whisky goes down as well as anything and you can pick one up cheap in the duty free. One of the surprising things that went down well were Underberg Bitters - I took them as a joke to watch their faces when they tried the vile stuff but, her mum and her uncle liked them.

It's funny you say that about red wine; my Wife's family and friends hate it, she did too until she came to the UK and acquired the taste. A bottle of Scotch Whisky goes down as well as anything and you can pick one up cheap in the duty free. One of the surprising things that went down well were Underberg Bitters - I took them as a joke to watch their faces when they tried the vile stuff but, her mum and her uncle liked them.

A lot of Thais started to drink red wine after the King had his heart problems and the doctors advised red wine was a good drink for his health. I have many Thai friends that really value a quality bottle of red (Australian of course, none of that French garbage).

A lot of Thais started to drink red wine after the King had his heart problems and the doctors advised red wine was a good drink for his health. I have many Thai friends that really value a quality bottle of red (Australian of course, none of that French garbage).

I don't dispute this but, from my own experience it didn't go down too well, where as the Scotch never fails. Out of interest, how much is a decent bottle back in OZ?