Broadband In Udon Thani

gyruss

Hi folks!

It's exactly one week I am getting crazy... I am trying to obtain a broadband subscription in Udon Thani (or better just 7 km. from City Centre).

Well, TT&T doesn't reach the place (Tambon Kudsa, on the way to Nong Khai, just a bit far from the railway crossing...). TOT doesn't have room on main ADSL hub.

TOT offered me Satellite service, but I read just bad about it.

So, the only ways are: GPRS (Really slowly, even worse than 56k connection!) and I read about CDMA CAT offer...

Does anyone have CDMA connection in Udon? Does it work fine?

Is just CDMA 1x or the faster evolution 1x EV-DO?

And (last but not least) where is located a reseller of CAT CDMA services in Udon?

I tried to find it on their website http://www.catcdma.com but their server seems to be down

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've been using CS Loxinfo ipstar satellite for about 3 years. We live in a pretty remote area and have no other choice but i do recommend it. The cost for unlimited access and download is Bt2675 per month and servicing is free. I have had to get the setup serviced three times in those three years and the service engineer is excellent. He lives in Korat and travels all over the Isaan region.

The service is reliable and pretty fast if you have a decent computer. I have a core 2 duo with 2 gigs of RAM and huge capacity on each hard drive.

The services have been needed because the neighbours kids swing on the dish and it needs to be realigned. Apart from that no problems. A mate of mine in the region is using TOT satellite and his service is not as reliable as Loxinfo.

Heavy cloud cover does affect the signal but only if it is a very severe storm situation.

Hope this helps.

I've been using CS Loxinfo ipstar satellite for about 3 years. We live in a pretty remote area and have no other choice but i do recommend it. The cost for unlimited access and download is Bt2675 per month and servicing is free. I have had to get the setup serviced three times in those three years and the service engineer is excellent. He lives in Korat and travels all over the Isaan region.

The service is reliable and pretty fast if you have a decent computer. I have a core 2 duo with 2 gigs of RAM and huge capacity on each hard drive.

The services have been needed because the neighbours kids swing on the dish and it needs to be realigned. Apart from that no problems. A mate of mine in the region is using TOT satellite and his service is not as reliable as Loxinfo.

Heavy cloud cover does affect the signal but only if it is a very severe storm situation.

Hope this helps.

I am looking at this and when I checked prices the CS Loxinfo ipstar service is 2500 baht/m for a measly 256/128Kbs connection

While TOT offers a whopping 1024/512Kbs connection for 2600 baht/m.

If CS loxinfo's service have to be pretty amazing to justify the speed versus baht gap between the two?

Yeah I am aware that what they say you will get, and what you actually will get, speed wise in this country are two very different things.

So my question is: Will CS Loxinfo ipstar satellite actually deliver those 256/128kbs and will TOT's 1024/128 really be so bad I may as well

fork out for the (officially slower) CS Loxinfo ipstar conection?

Anyone with any experiences in that regard?

I am in Udorn and have TOT IPSTAR satellite service and have no complaints short of a bit of a delay (1 month), waiting for installation, evidently there is a shortage of equipment on hand. I have the 512/256 service and the speeds and connectivity have been consistantly good. The price for this package is 2200Baht and the 1024/512 package is 2700baht. ADSL is cheaper if you have access to it but have no experience with it as I am a little bit out of town as well.

Keg

Been looking some more and found a thread from last year on here that was not to flattering for CX Loxinfo. While people where generally more happy with TOT for their IPSTAR connection. They are a cheaper too. So I might give them a ring or drop by their office....

I'll be back in a few weeks whinging about internet speed problems... :D :D :D:o

ToT now have the contract for IPStar in Thailand - and have done so now for over a year when they took it over from CSLoxinfo. (Who held it for about 5 years )

Any other company/ reseller other than TOT, who offer IPstar will be charging more and even (like CSLoxinfo now do) placing bandwidth restrictions upon your usage. They just but the bandwidth from TOT and resell it

If you are still with CS Loxinfo then I suggest you move to TOT as for certain their service is no worse than CSLoxinfo (NOTE I DO NOT SAY BETTER!) but you will be saving money and have no bandwidth restrictions.

I have used IPStar for nearly 5 years for internet cafe usage so do speak from experience.

We have the corporate connection 1024/512 and pay 4,900+ VAT per month

I use all common VOIP packages, download torrents etc with no problems.

The home use packages are very cheap starting at around 1500 for 256/128 and up to 2600 for 1024/512.

Suits me as we can not/will never get! ADSL

Just wanted to tack on a supplementary question in case anybody with firsthand experience responds. Apart from speed, how noticeable is the delay arising from the bouncing of the signal to the satellite and back again?

It adds roughly about an average 900ms second delay (450ms up + 450ms down) to a ping to Europe but sometimes this rises to 1.5 secs.

A ping to BKK is about 850 ms

A lot really depends about the routing.

You can forget being 1st in first person shooting games! but other online games are fine.

Voip I find is OK. I use mostly Voipcheap (which I can redirect to any land/mobile phone for only 1 uk p per minute for incoming calls) or skype.

Opening a webpage to read, there is a slight lag as per above but once the page starts to open its fine. You can't read quick enougth.

I also use the connection to assist my Multichoice Africa satellite tv reception and its fine(but that is a different subject not to be discussed here!) :o

gyruss, prepare to go crazy, I have yet to experience a reliable connection here.

I would guess I lose 20-30 days per year from no connection, it starts to rain I lose my connection, the ladies water buffalo dies nextdoor I lose my connection and I live in Udon Central :o

I have to agree with Keg that Sat will be as good as anything else because no matter what you pay for the speed will decrease significantly during the day.

I did go and have a look at a property last week very near to where you speak of and they assured me they recieve TOT no problem, its maybe even a little further out so maybe another call might be worth it.

Good luck.

After four frustrating years T.o.T.expanded ADSL outside the Ringroad in Udon;not only that,the monthly rate diminished significantly!

Last week I had my new connection(had to change the telephone number),the speed is,of course,well short of what promised,but so far I'm happy,a big improvement. :o

• 3 months later...
After four frustrating years T.o.T.expanded ADSL outside the Ringroad in Udon;not only that,the monthly rate diminished significantly!

Last week I had my new connection(had to change the telephone number),the speed is,of course,well short of what promised,but so far I'm happy,a big improvement. :o

Can you give me more information about the price per month.How lon you need to wait for getting adsl.Thank you

Can you give me more information about the price per month.How lon you need to wait for getting adsl.Thank you

Edited by tony_antwerp

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but any updates? I am thinking of moving out of BKK to Udon or nearby sometime early next year. I would like to have at least 1MB internet speed, I know it can fluctuate but on average). I currently have True I paid for 2MB and I typically get 1MB which I can live with.

I would like to get the best I can get. I think I'm presently paying about 1,200 a month but if it's needed I could pay triple that even more if absoltuely essential though if I can pay less of course that's better.

Has DSL widely become available around Udon? Is Satellite a better choice? Which provider? I really would like something reliable and will pay if I must.

So my question is: Will CS Loxinfo ipstar satellite actually deliver those 256/128kbs and will TOT's 1024/128 really be so bad I may as well

fork out for the (officially slower) CS Loxinfo ipstar conection?

Anyone with any experiences in that regard?

I have experience with them both. Both delivers "decent" satellite internet. CS-Loxinfo has "decent" customer service. TOT has none. Zero.

I use the CDMA from C.A.T. Been happy with it for one year. I also live about 7kms west of the city center.

As far as the technical stuff goes, I'm not qualified to answer. I just use it for general surfing. I don't download movies or any other large downloads.

C.A.T. office is located on Udon Dutsadi Rd. (highway #2), between Wattana Nuwong Rd. and the Clock Tower Circle.

I know this thread is a bit old but any updates? I am thinking of moving out of BKK to Udon or nearby sometime early next year. I would like to have at least 1MB internet speed, I know it can fluctuate but on average). I currently have True I paid for 2MB and I typically get 1MB which I can live with.

I would like to get the best I can get. I think I'm presently paying about 1,200 a month but if it's needed I could pay triple that even more if absoltuely essential though if I can pay less of course that's better.

Has DSL widely become available around Udon? Is Satellite a better choice? Which provider? I really would like something reliable and will pay if I must.

I didn't look at the thread for a long time,presumed was dead.

I have the ToT ADSL since last October 1M/500K,for 700++ Baht,and live about 5Km from Citycenter.

Now they are offering 2M,a little more expensive,but only for new connections!

The speed is NEVER what they say and sometime really low;black-out are possible,especially by storm.

But, for me,a big improvement,in this last year. :o