Strange Way To Sell Cars

aussieladdy

You cant really compare it, can you..
I would agree, you are on the outside in one case and on the inside in the other ! :D ,.to me leather just feels so good,( in a car ) but i have to add i would never have a 3 peice suite in my house ,

:D I know, and I'm not the seller, but an odd co-incidence :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=158423

May I add my sad experience with Toyota dealers? OK, here we go:

Last year I wanted to buy the new Camry and went to the Toyota dealer on Serithai Road. The guy was polite, nice and helpful and I was even able to test drive the car. I then ordered the 2.4 liter and was promised it would be delivered before the end of the month.

5 days before the end of the month the dealer called me and told me the car will be ready in a few days and I should get the cashier's check ready, which I did. Then, the big silence. Finally, on the morning of 30. November I called the dealer, but he wouldn't talk to me, promised, he would call back. Nobody called back. Later I asked my (Thai) wife to call him and ask him when the car could be delivered. He got angry at the phone and said, the car would be ready by the end of the year, maybe mid January.

Obviously something went wrong there, so we went in person to talk to the dealer. He maintained his version that he had never promised the car for end of November. That's when I got angry and told him that he was either a liar or and incompetent salesman; either way I would cancel the deal right here and now.

It took me 1 month to get the down payment back and cost me about 1700 THB to return the cashier's check to my bank.

For me it was clear that he had sold "my" car to another customer, who might have slipped him a white envelope. The story confirmed my bad opinion of Toyota dealers I had made previously when I tried to buy a pick up truck.

The moral of the story: I will never again try to buy a Toyota, I bought a Mitsubishi pick up truck and a Volvo.

Last year I wanted to buy the new Camry and went to the Toyota dealer on Serithai Road. The guy was polite, nice and helpful and I was even able to test drive the car. I then ordered the 2.4 liter and was promised it would be delivered before the end of the month.

5 days before the end of the month the dealer called me and told me the car will be ready in a few days and I should get the cashier's check ready, which I did. Then, the big silence. Finally, on the morning of 30. November I called the dealer, but he wouldn't talk to me, promised, he would call back. Nobody called back. Later I asked my (Thai) wife to call him and ask him when the car could be delivered. He got angry at the phone and said, the car would be ready by the end of the year, maybe mid January.

Obviously something went wrong there, so we went in person to talk to the dealer. He maintained his version that he had never promised the car for end of November. That's when I got angry and told him that he was either a liar or and incompetent salesman; either way I would cancel the deal right here and now.

It took me 1 month to get the down payment back and cost me about 1700 THB to return the cashier's check to my bank.

For me it was clear that he had sold "my" car to another customer, who might have slipped him a white envelope. The story confirmed my bad opinion of Toyota dealers I had made previously when I tried to buy a pick up truck.

The moral of the story: I will never again try to buy a Toyota, I bought a Mitsubishi pick up truck and a Volvo.

Its the staff, not the particular make/francise, what ill bet happened is a 'layaway " walked in ,someone not querying the price and wanting finance and they jumped the q,.happens all the time here, business practise is awful, i deal with all the francises and they dont differ and most of the sales/parts staff are absolutly useless,.

There is a long way to go before Thailand catches up to the west in terms of Customer service - this is partly due to the Thai obsession with avoiding confrontation....as soon as things go "quiet" you know that something has gone wrong. This coupled with an inability to see one centimeter beyond the end of the day's business results in an enormous amount of bad feeling from Western customers especially. Do Thais still expect to be shat upon?........

With regards to changing to Mitsubishi I think there is no substantial difference in this culture.......If you take your custom elsewhere you will be greeted with open arms and everything will be fine until there is a hiccough.....then the whole thing starts again......

This is the land of 90% - everything goes fine and then someone leaves 10% completely undone, kiboshed, snafued, bolloxed and no one will take the blame!

sorry to jump back into the thread I started, but I was also told that there was no English version of the owners hand book available in Thailand. I now find that this maybe a bit far from the actual. Anyone know where I can find one?

Hi Aussieladdy

Toyota definitely produce a owners handbook in Engrish. Ive met at least two people who said they have them and going back some time on TV, I'm sure someone even quoted a Toyota part number for one. Iv also seen ads on the Interweb selling them in CD format. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I think its a case of you trying to find a salesperson with more braincells than a goldfish

Good Luck :o

Dave

sorry to jump back into the thread I started, but I was also told that there was no English version of the owners hand book available in Thailand. I now find that this maybe a bit far from the actual. Anyone know where I can find one?

Hi Aussieladdy

Toyota definitely produce a owners handbook in Engrish. Ive met at least two people who said they have them and going back some time on TV, I'm sure someone even quoted a Toyota part number for one. Iv also seen ads on the Interweb selling them in CD format. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but I think its a case of you trying to find a salesperson with more braincells than a goldfish

Dave

Dave, thanks. I just added that to the list of things the saleslady "misinformed" me about

Its the staff, not the particular make/francise, what ill bet happened is a 'layaway " walked in ,someone not querying the price and wanting finance and they jumped the q,.happens all the time here, business practise is awful, i deal with all the francises and they dont differ and most of the sales/parts staff are absolutly useless,.

I am almost certain that is what happened to me. Circa the beginning of May we decide on a D-Max 3.0L 4cab 2WD auto in light blue. He phones the order through and we have a delivery date of 26th May. About 23rd we phone up and we get the run around. Some <deleted> about themonly making brown ones (<deleted> ?). I told them to sort it out or I'll be up (from Pattaya to Nang Rong in Buriram). By now the wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant.

Anyway, I make a couple of phone calls and I find 2 cars identical to the one I want available immediately. I relay this information to the garage in Nang Rong and they say they will enquire about sorting one out for me. The next day we drive to Nang Rong. Complete confrontation, they say 3 to 4 weeks for the blue one so I threaten to sue and tell them I will stand outside their garage for a month until the car comes an I guess they will not sell another one in that time.

Within an hour or two we get a call and are offered a black one, auto with 50k off. We push for full tank of gas, wheel arch protectors and some final extras they were unwilling to give before and we sign it off. Then they want us to pay up the full deposit and they will send us the 50k. Needless to say that did not happpen !

They had our truck on order. It was ours, period. Someone else more important or who offered cash got our truck.

I am almost certain that is what happened to me. Circa the beginning of May we decide on a D-Max 3.0L 4cab 2WD auto in light blue. He phones the order through and we have a delivery date of 26th May. About 23rd we phone up and we get the run around. Some <deleted> about themonly making brown ones (<deleted> ?). I told them to sort it out or I'll be up (from Pattaya to Nang Rong in Buriram). By now the wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant.

Anyway, I make a couple of phone calls and I find 2 cars identical to the one I want available immediately. I relay this information to the garage in Nang Rong and they say they will enquire about sorting one out for me. The next day we drive to Nang Rong. Complete confrontation, they say 3 to 4 weeks for the blue one so I threaten to sue and tell them I will stand outside their garage for a month until the car comes an I guess they will not sell another one in that time.

Within an hour or two we get a call and are offered a black one, auto with 50k off. We push for full tank of gas, wheel arch protectors and some final extras they were unwilling to give before and we sign it off. Then they want us to pay up the full deposit and they will send us the 50k. Needless to say that did not happpen !

They had our truck on order. It was ours, period. Someone else more important or who offered cash got our truck.

Hi torrenova

Sorry to about you horror story, but it has helped me, cos I'm going to give Isuzu a Deposit on Monday, but not collecting truck until 7/1/08 (its the only ('show') model in stock).

With the help of your info, I will lay down a few ground rules and make sure that if this CONTRACT is broken by them , I will sue for returned deposit and go elsewhere.

:o

Dave

Perhaps it helps to get it all in print, on the contract, signed by the owner of the distributorship. One thing I hated in the USA was the dealer's sticker (or chromed logo) put onto MY vehicle. I thought if I ever bought another new car, I'd add on the contract, "Dealer pays $1000 fine for any advertising on the vehicle, paid on demand upon delivery." I would not believe the word of a new car salesman anywhere on the planet.

Hi Aussieladdy

Dave

Toyota does indeed publish an owners manual in English, at least they do for the Vigo trucks, however they are not published with the intent of satisfying us English speaking customers.  They are published for their export models; this is why they don't generally have them in stock at the dealership and have to order one from Toyota at the time of purchase.  I had mine included in the purchase price of the truck, otherwise they will charge you for the English manual.  It took almost 3 months for my manual to arrive primarily because the one ordered in my name had been given to someone else.  Someone had signed for it next to my name so the dealership thought I had already received it, however they were surprised and apologetic when I inquired as to it's whereabouts and promptly ordered me a new one which arrived in about two weeks.

PattayaDavid

Whole point of the story is that the girl lied all the way through to get a sale, was still lying when I collected the car, but now everyone is happy. Am I getting used to Thailand and it's strange ways of doing business?

In which case, is it time to leave?

My my fancy that a car sales person who lies? Cant believe it please tell me it aint true

I also had mine debadged as I didn't want the dealer's logo on the back of the truck. When I got there it wasn't so I told them to sort it out as I was not going to do it.

English manuals are available. Insist on one as part of the purchase. Pay nothing for it. I didn't for Isuzu.

As for deposit, I paid Bt10,000 until I collected the car.

make it a deal breaker and they will get one. Mine is a photo copy but it is in english and better than nothing.

Hi Aussieladdy

Dave

It took me a while, but I eventually got one. I was told they had to be sent from England :D

Regards

Jaiyenyen

English manuals are available. Insist on one as part of the purchase. Pay nothing for it. I didn't for Isuzu.

As for deposit, I paid Bt10,000 until I collected the car.

HI TORRENOVA

Thats interesting, put 20k deposit down yesterday at Isuzu,Surin and they said D Max manual is in Thai & English so another manual wont be required :o

I guess in 3 weeks time, I'll find out if this is another salespersons 'porky pie' unless anyone who has bought a D Max recently can confirm this info ?

Dave

:D

Edited by Dave the Dude

I reckon they are talking crap as I have the Thai and English manuals. They are both 3/4" think so I presume a dual one would be 1 1/2" think which is stupid. They may have condensed it but I'll wait and see.

20k down eh ? Seems Surin is more greedy or less trusting that Nang Rong, Buriram :o

I reckon they are talking crap as I have the Thai and English manuals. They are both 3/4" think so I presume a dual one would be 1 1/2" think which is stupid. They may have condensed it but I'll wait and see.

20k down eh ? Seems Surin is more greedy or less trusting that Nang Rong, Buriram :bah:

Hi Torrenova

Your RIGHT IT WAS CRAP. I want back in today with passport and they showed me my actual manual in nice new folder. Its in THAI ONLY but they had another English one that some poor ferang had not collected. Only cost me 300baht A BARGAIN!!! :o

Interesting what you say about 20k deposit. 2 thoughts:- 1) Toyota wanted 50k!! and 2) maybe the Sawf London accent made them put up the amount :D:D:D

Dave

:D

Perhaps it helps to get it all in print, on the contract, signed by the owner of the distributorship. One thing I hated in the USA was the dealer's sticker (or chromed logo) put onto MY vehicle. I thought if I ever bought another new car, I'd add on the contract, "Dealer pays $1000 fine for any advertising on the vehicle, paid on demand upon delivery." I would not believe the word of a new car salesman anywhere on the planet.

Yep, I'm with PeaceBlondie on this one, without a doubt. I would never buy a new car; anywhere. Just a complete waste of money, IMHO. In the UK, I used to buy a 2 or 3 year-old car every 3 years. Let some other poor bugger take the depreciation. When I came to Thailand, I saw no reason to change this despite my Thai wife's protests. "But everybody buys new. What will people think?" I realised though that this was only partly due to the Thai love of percieved status. There were perhaps sound reasons to buy new, ie, Thai used car-dealers being even more crooked than their Western counterparts. I ended-up buying from Andy Wing at http://www.expatmotors.co.th/

No, I don't work for them or have any links with them at all. Just a bloody good guy and a lot of help. Those of you in BKK probably already know him. I wish there was someone like him in Khon Kaen province.