Auto/truck Safety Inspections-how Often?

cm-happy

Have had car since 2001. Its never been inspected by gov't. Every year when I re new my registration, no one ever says anything. Do they notify ppl in wrting to have auto inspected?

What do they check for?

documentation-registration etc, driving license

Emissions

brakes

lights,horn, wipers, turn signals

windscreen cracks that might obscure vision

tire wear

fuel, oil leaks

some of the things I've seen on the road, should have been retired years ago.

What do they check?

Once your vehicle is over the pit, they then make a thorough inspection of the contents of your wallet....

:o:D:D

That's about right....

The last time we had a vehicle inspected, they walked around the car, honked the horn, wrote up the paper, and took the money.

About the same as getting a doctor's certificate for work permit / drivers licence.

As far as I know you can have the inspection done at every garage with the 'cog wheel sign' outside.

I did it once at a shop that charged 250 Baht for it.

I mean for the form and the stamps on it, suggesting that the inspection would have taken place.

The good man gave me back 850 Baht in stead of 750.

Honest as I am I gave him 100 Baht back.

"A Thai person would never have done that", he told me, "if you permit me I am going to inspect your car for real"

Believe me or not, he actually did (safety check)!

Honesty pays off once in a while.

Limbo

Edited by Limbo

I just remember another inspection which I had done at an official dealership.

The young man was very dedicated and did it using professional test-machinery.

Even the brakes were checked and as I knew they were not too good on one of the wheels.

When I had to brake hard, the car tended to turn sharply to the right for mysterious reasons.

I was waiting in the office and the young man came in and told the ladies present (who happened to

know me rather well) that something had to be done about the brakes.

Like furies they yelled at him and told him to change the report immediately.

They apologized to me and I wasn't charged anything.

So I recommend the official dealership, it's more expensive, but they do a good job.

Limbo

Its every 7 years that you will need to check. The owner of the car will be notified. It used to be 10 years, somehow its now 7 years. Not sure what they check. Emission for sure, rest from your list I cant answer

Are you sure that it is every 7 years?  It was my understanding that an inspection was required at 7 years then every year thereafter due to the age of the vehicle.

Its every 7 years that you will need to check. The owner of the car will be notified. It used to be 10 years, somehow its now 7 years. Not sure what they check. Emission for sure, rest from your list I cant answer

Are you sure that it is every 7 years?  It was my understanding that an inspection was required at 7 years then every year thereafter due to the age of the vehicle.

You might be right. I only know that first inspection is at 7 years.

Are you sure that it is every 7 years? It was my understanding that an inspection was required at 7 years then every year thereafter due to the age of the vehicle.

This is correct- inspection is annual for older vehicles. You will need to submit the report when paying the annual registration / road tax.