What Do You Prefer?

DaoDao

I'm another Emjoli depilator fan. I can't use chemical hair removers at all. They give me burns on my skin long before they make the hair removable. I don't live in BKK so don't have fast and easy access to laser, which frankly I'd love. I might be able to get waxing done someplace in town here, but I'd rather spend the money on something more interesting.

Hi ladies,

Apologies in advance for resurrecting this thread, I was abroad and missed it!!! :o

On the subject of Epilators....I bought a Philips Satin Ice Epilator from the UK 2 years ago and have used it about 5 times! :D I just couldn't get my head around the whole epilating thing - even though it had a cool pack that numbs the area! Anyway, if anyone is interested in buying it for a V. cheap price, drop me a PM! (I have decided to (FINALLY) have a good clear out! :D

I have since gone back to waxing legs and actually had Laser Hair removal on underarms and bikini area done in Bangkok! WOW - FAB!! This I would TOTALLY recommend like Zaza above. What a difference! Especially for those of us who live in a hot country!

A tip! Apex Beauty Salon in Bangkok tends to have a 50% off promotion for Laser Hair removal twice a year so worth looking out for and buying a package of 5 (plus you can request for an additional 3 treatments for free if you feel you still have hair and need more treatments!).

• 1 month later...

I have had 3 treatments with Pulsed Light (IPL) and I must say that I am really satisfied with the results so far. You shave before treatment, they put this gel on your skin and with flashes of light the roots get destroyed. It can hurt a little bit but right after treatment (the flash) the pain is gone. The hairs completly stop growing. After about 5 to 6 weeks they grow again but they seem less. I had skipped some areas with treatment which I shaved later on (after 2 treatments). I can really see the difference! They claim it isn't permanent removal but reduction. I hardly have to shave my armpits anymore after 3 treatments :o

You do have to watch out with the sun before and after treatment.

Apex Beauty Salon in Bangkok tends to have a 50% off promotion for Laser Hair removal twice a year

where is that located?

I have had 3 treatments with Pulsed Light (IPL)

did you get it done in BKK? if so, where? is it expensive?

No, didn't do it in Thailand. But it should be available I am sure. Googled IPL and Bangkok and I did get some hits. Some cliniques are very expensive while others are much cheaper, I think that also has to do with the machine used ( read somewhere that the machines are not all that efficient or powerfull)

Apex Beauty Salon in Bangkok tends to have a 50% off promotion for Laser Hair removal twice a year

where is that located?

APex are in Emporium (also Siam Centre plus you can google it for other locations....) I prefer Emporium branch. :D

As i mentioned in my earlier post they DO have a 50% off promotion twice a year, however, unfortunately you have just missed their most recent 50% off promotion - it was in June. :D (They tend to have the same promotion in Dec and June each year (although if you ask the staff, they won't know when the next one will be :D).

If you are unsure about your needs etc and wanna find out more info, go in and ask to speak to Judith who is the Filipina lady who works there on the front desk. She is a true fount of knowledge and speaks English fluently.

If you want you can also make an initial appointment to discuss your needs with the Dr (Dr Nantapat??? NOt sure if I remember her name correctly). Although be aware she is V busy and so will be a QUICK in and out and she may well be delayed..... Judith is great to ask questions and discuss your specific needs with & pros and cons of different machines etc !

The only other thing I would say is Good luck and be careful of the place you choose to have tretament. I have had friends that have gone for the 'Cheapie' Laser salons based purely on cost and..... they have ended up with terrible burns..... :o

Andiamo (added in green!):D

Sorry I have somehow underlined my whole post and I can't get rid of it without losing my words! (Not very technologically savvy) :D

I have had 3 treatments with Pulsed Light (IPL)

did you get it done in BKK? if so, where? is it expensive?

Edited by sbk
removed underline--sbk

Removed your underlining andiamo--look for the u inside the brackets[ ] at the top and bottom of your post and delete only the u and the brackets :o

So, Andiamo, what does it run with the 50% of deal then?

As someone suggested that epilady [with icepack!] would do the trick, I tried it and I only can stand the horror if somebody else does it [and ties my hands...] what a painfull procedure wich made the red spots only worse!! Sorry not buying yours Andiamo... :D

So I think also after reading the posts here its a good option to go for the laser, in europe these are expensive treadments, so like SBK im curious to what the rates are like in BKK! :o

Removed your underlining andiamo--look for the u inside the brackets[ ] at the top and bottom of your post and delete only the u and the brackets :D

So, Andiamo, what does it run with the 50% of deal then?

Txs sbk :D I can also never multiquote! Grrrr :o

Ok, so prices for laser hair removal at Apex Beauty salon in Emporium (Tel no: 02 664 8613)....Drumroll........

Underarms - 50% discount price is for 5 times package + 3 free = Total of 8 times 9,000bt (Full price = 18,000bt).

Bikini Line - 50% discount price is for 5 times package + 3 free - Total of 8 times 9,000bt (Full price = 18,000bt).

Full Bikini - 50% discount price is for 5 times package + 3 free - Total of 8 times 18,000bt (Full price = 36,000bt).

Upper Lip - 50% discount price is for 5 times package + 3 free = Total of 8 times 7,000bt (Full price = 14,000bt).

They have lots of different areas and prices (I have overheard some people booking a treatment to have the hair above their lip removed too - ouch!). BTW, I've just called them to check prices above for all you ladies out there!

As mentioned in my earlier post, Judith the Filipina lady on Reception is very knowledgeable about machines and treatments etc so worth asking to speak with her if you call/pop in. Usually, (although they won't confirm directly), the 50% promotions for laser hair removal tend to be twice yearly (in June and December).

Best of luck gals!

I'll be watching out for the December promotion then! I've been wanting to have my bikini line done for ages. A friend has had her's done at Bumrungrad and the cost then (a few years ago) was 19,000 for 3 sessions but I think it's gone down now.

From my understanding and research though, laser only requires about 3 sessions and it's IPL (which is not quite as effective) that requires 6-8 sessions ... so is it IPL at the Apex clinic or definitely laser?

Edited to add: did my research and found the website for the Apex clinic and it's definitely laser .... here's the link to their page on permanent hair removal:

http://www.apexprofoundbeauty.com/en/treat...p;productID=111

Edited by sylvafern

Just 2 days ago i had my first IPL treatment for underarms. She said i had a good response, but the hair is still there tho .. ive been told it falls out over the next week or two... :o ? I didnt find it painful at all, but thats probably because ive waxed or epilated for years, so im de-sensitized. If it responds well i will do my lower legs too. Def want to do the bikini area for sure! That is a royal pain because I cant stand stubbliness from shaving so i wax, but i always have areas of ingrown hairs no matter how much i exfoliate (not to mention the itchiness when it starts to grow through again!) Ive also done the plucking thing dingdongrb :D but will be much much nicer to have to do nothing. Hoping IPL will give good results. :D

In order of preference:

laser - in the future, when I have saved enough

waxing in a salon

epilator - DIY, convenient, not for the faint of heart! (I have the Philips Satinelle Epilator from Canada)

waxing at home - can be messy & time-consuming

shaving - i have a LOT of scars from zits/pimples because of ingrown hair (I exfoliated, used sharp razors, yadda yadda yadda)

hair removal creams/lotions - never worked for me

My skin type: very sensitive

hair type: very thick