Channot Transfer

Hi Guys n Gals

Wifey (CNX) wishes to purchase land (CNX) from her Aunt (BKK).

Wifey says that we need to put the money into the Aunt's account

then the Aunt (I think using wifey's Dad (CNX) as a power of attorney)

will contact the land office (CNX) and transfer the channot.

Is this the correct procedure?

Being European I'm used to land transfer being a 'big job' needing

a solicitor and not just a 'small job' such as signing it over.

I'm assuming there must be more to it than just that as I've read on here

about 'Taxes' to be paid and a 'declaration the the money is solely the wifey's'

So, as I've done a search and returned empty handed - although enlightened on

another couple of subjects I wasn't looking for - would someone be kind enough

to fill me in on the process.

Also, if I were looking into a 30 + 30 lease on the land, when would the best time

be to do that - now at the purchase stage, or does that not make any difference . . . .

Many thanks

David

If you trust all parties involved explicitly, then you can do it this way.

If the tiniest bit of doubt, then what normally happens in the vast percentage of transfers, is you pay a deposit first, then on the day of transfer you pay the balance, so at the land office when the deed is being done, you basically swap one for the other.

As for costs, the government just put in new rules for 1 year, which basically makes any transfer costs almost nil, in fact they are now 0.1%.

The lease you can do anytime convenient.

Having done it myself, and as pointed out by MrPaddy, if you trust the others involved it appears to be a relatively painless experience at the Land Office to do teh transfer. Deposit up-front, then balance on transfer of the papers. Land Office will update the Channot with the details of the new owner and register accordingly.

The 30 year lease can be done at any time, and again requires a trip to the Land Office where they will again make entry on the Channot with the relevant details of the lease.

Note that a 30+30 lease is not a legal entity. A legally binding lease can be made for 30 years. Thereafter there is no legal provision for to automatically extend for a further 30 years.

Did this just that simple last year with my wife. I had made a deposit on the land, the woman we were dealing with was "old school" and wanted "CASH"... I spent 10k baht and had an attorney do a title search a few weeks before I arrived to do the transfer.

Showed up when the land office opened with over 3 million baht, and we were out of there by 10:30AM with the Chanote in my wifes name....Some of the relatives were still arguing as we left, as they had forgot to deduct the deposit and had anticipated getting more money. :o:D (Also they agreed to pay all taxes and transfer costs as I did not haggle the asking price.

Nice to have an attorney to cut through the language barrier for me, and cheap insurance too.