Closing A Us Bank Account

Why not just leave it open with say 50 cents in it...you might just need it some day.

I found over the years that I have had something like 20 plus accounts including the likes of the British Bank of the Middle East,ABM in Amsterdam,AnZAC in Aus,Campu in Phnom Penh,the usual UK offshore/onshore dodgers...RBS-Nat West Barclays,HSBC,TSB although nowaday only really use the Bangkok Bank and Nationwide.....but I never close any down.....even got an a/c with th Islamic Bank of Bahrain.......figure....?????.... :o

First check out any bank fees on low-balance or inactive accounts.

If fees aren't a problem, then keep the account. Assuming you're a US citizen you'll probably find yourself with the need to write or deposit a USD check at some point, and that can be relatively expensive -- especially for small amounts -- if you don't have a USD account.

First check out any bank fees on low-balance or inactive accounts.

If fees aren't a problem, then keep the account. Assuming you're a US citizen you'll probably find yourself with the need to write or deposit a USD check at some point, and that can be relatively expensive -- especially for small amounts -- if you don't have a USD account.

Yes, I'd keep at least one account open, perhaps even a checking account and one for savings.  My retirement check and social security are direct deposist in the U.S. account and I draw on them with my U.S. ATM card when necessary.  I also write a check on the U.S. account for deposit tomy SCB baht account here, this is to show Thai Immigration that I do have a certain amount of money coming into Thailand monthly, they seem to like this.  In addition, now and then someone owes me some $$ or baht, I just tell them to send a check deposit to the U.S. bank.

However, as mentioned previously, do your banking at a low fee or no fee place.

Mac

Just doing an ACH (Automated Clearing House) transfer in or out of the account very periodically will keep it alive and free of dormancy fees...

With the way financial and banking markets are going, I don't close my U.S. accounts. I just transfer all the money out, and keep a buck or two in as a placeholder. There have been times then when I've had reason to go back into some account and begin using it again.

A whole lot easier than trying to open a new account from scratch while living in LOS.

I assume, you mean, for someone physically living in Thailand...

Assuming that's the case, I'd absolutely disagree... You just need to have a non-post office box mailing/mail forwarding address in the U.S. that the bank can accept as your address of record... Such things are easy to obtain, and useful for other purposes, including the forwarding of U.S. mail (like bank statements for existing accounts) that typically cannot have a foreign address...

One such service is the following... There certainly are others.

http://www.usa2me.com/

It is almost impossible to open a new account with a bank that does not already know you in the US. If someone knows of any please share, as I have had no luck.