Confusion With A Thai Drivers Licence Renewal.

I currently have a Thai drivers licence which is up for RENEWAL next month, there's a few areas which I wish to tidy up before then : 1. What is the proper day to reapply ( the expiry date or the day after)

2. Do I need a certified letter from my embassy or as we own our own home is our house book sufficient.

3. Do I need a doctor certificate for a renewal.

4. Do I have to apply for the renewal at the same office where my original licence was processed.

5. Do I need to do the colour blind test etc again.

If anyone can help me from recent applications I'd be more than grateful for their advice. Thanks.

Hi Mason45

just got my new cr card 5 yr one so here goes with the answers

1) I went the day after expiry (still have UK PP as 'backup')

2)Your PP, House book and Owner(Thai Wife?) plus ID card AND letter from local Immigration Office are required (& photocopies of all (except wife! ))

3)Yes

4)Not 100% sure as both mine were done locally, but surprised if a problem.

5)No, I didn't have too

BTW you get the option of a new plastic card or old style (cheepie) paper card. I took PP size photo's with me and they were not required as office takes photo's for new card and its charged out with the cost of the Cr card DL (Mine was 960b for 1xcar & 1xmotorcycle). It was funny, I showed new DL to my Thai mate who is a policeman and it made him very worried cos they are printed in English and clearly most BIB wont be able to read 'em. Good times ahead !! :o

I hope this has been of help

Dave

I currently have a Thai drivers licence which is up for RENEWAL next month, there's a few areas which I wish to tidy up before then : 1. What is the proper day to reapply ( the expiry date or the day after)

2. Do I need a certified letter from my embassy or as we own our own home is our house book sufficient.

3. Do I need a doctor certificate for a renewal.

4. Do I have to apply for the renewal at the same office where my original licence was processed.

5. Do I need to do the colour blind test etc again.

If anyone can help me from recent applications I'd be more than grateful for their advice. Thanks.

ok, i can answer all except # 2. no clue on that.

#1 : you can re-apply on the day of the expiry or any day AFTER that. i learned about this because i tried to renew my license last week of November last year although my card will be expiring first week of Dec. the official on duty said i should come back when my license expires.

#3 : Yes.

#4 : No. My 1-year license was issued by the office near Chatuchak Park while the 5-Yr renewal was issued by the office in Rayong. No questions asked.

#5 : No.

Regarding Dave's comment above. I don't know if all transport offices are issuing a standard card but my license ID card shows all information in both English and Thai characters. For the Driver details, there's two boxes - one for Thai and below that for English.

Edited by Palace

Hi Mason45

just got my new cr card 5 yr one so here goes with the answers

1) I went the day after expiry (still have UK PP as 'backup')

2)Your PP, House book and Owner(Thai Wife?) plus ID card AND letter from local Immigration Office are required (& photocopies of all (except wife! ))

3)Yes

4)Not 100% sure as both mine were done locally, but surprised if a problem.

5)No, I didn't have too

BTW you get the option of a new plastic card or old style (cheepie) paper card. I took PP size photo's with me and they were not required as office takes photo's for new card and its charged out with the cost of the Cr card DL (Mine was 960b for 1xcar & 1xmotorcycle). It was funny, I showed new DL to my Thai mate who is a policeman and it made him very worried cos they are printed in English and clearly most BIB wont be able to read 'em. Good times ahead !! :o

I hope this has been of help

Dave

Thanks alot Dave and Palace, your help is very much apreciated. Dave you mentioned a letter is required from the local immigration office could you please elaborate on this and how it can be achieved, do you mean from the embassy from our country of origin or Thai immigration and what is the procedure. Thanks again.

Hi Mason45

The letter was obtained when me & the Mrs visited our local (Kap Cheuang) Thai Immigration Office where I do my 90 day address reporting. It is a FREE service and they needed to see the House Book, Wife's ID card and my PP plus PP size photo. They then provide a letter in Thai detailing your full name,address,age & PP number. The photo is stuck on the litter and then an Officially stamped.

Whole operation should not take more than approx 15 mins. I suggest photocopying everything twice (one for Imm & one for DL Appcn, 2 x photos)

:o

Dave