Where To Live: Cha-am Or Hua Hin?

JOHN2

I stated on a previous thread that i'm seriously considering re-locating to Hua hin with gf and a new born,after speaking to a pal last week he thinks it would be better to live in Cha-am,his thinking is that it is less touristy there,a better environment to raise a kid and less 'tempatations'....i'm sure it's very nice there but the first thought that came into my head was there won't be as much there ie:Tesco lotus,villa,less choice of shops,restaurants,bars etc...

Any opinions appreciated...

Edited by JOHN2

I stated on a previous thread that i'm seriously considering re-locating to Hua hin with gf and a new born,after speaking to a pal last week he thinks it would be better to live in Cha-am,his thinking is that it is less touristy there,a better environment to raise a kid and less 'tempatations'....i'm sure it's very nice there but the first thought that came into my head was there won't be as much there ie:Tesco lotus,villa,less choice of shops,restaurants,bars etc...

Any opinions appreciated...

Hi John.

I have a family and don't go near the 'temptations'. The beer bar area is small.

Hua Hin is a prettier town IMHO.

You may want to check crime levels in both places. With the poor feeling the squeeze, robberies against property and person are on the increase.

Cha-am's a good place and definitely quieter than HH. There are great places to eat and prices seem to be reasonable when compared to the touristy HH. When I'm in Cha-am I notice more Thais are there enjoying the place as a get-away from Bkk. My gf and I are also considering living there. She's lived/worked in HH and thinks it's too crowded and the theft/gangstars are on the rise. Try staying in both areas and see which one you and your family would like most? Other than that, good luck on the decision.

Cha-am's a good place and definitely quieter than HH. There are great places to eat and prices seem to be reasonable when compared to the touristy HH. When I'm in Cha-am I notice more Thais are there enjoying the place as a get-away from Bkk. My gf and I are also considering living there. She's lived/worked in HH and thinks it's too crowded and the theft/gangstars are on the rise. Try staying in both areas and see which one you and your family would like most? Other than that, good luck on the decision.

Good points.Although i certainly won't be living in both places before i make a decision,a weekend in both places and gathering opinions like on here for example will be enough to make a decision.

Cheers,John2

Cha-am is one of my favourite places with its long white sandy beach and I would much rather live there than in Hua Hin. Cha-am is much quieter and tranquil than in Hua Hin and if you want a more relaxing enironment, it is the place to be. In saying that, most facilties/shopping are in Hua Hin so expect to travel the short distance when required. If you have a car, it will make things much easier for you.

I live directly between the two and would highly recommend that you not live in Cha-am. With a child about to start school in a couple years your options in Cha-am are very limited. In Hua Hin, there are plenty of English language (bilingual) schools and the community that goes along with that. If you are willing to trudge into Hua Hin twice every day from Cha-am then the choice is yours. Like I say, I live between the two and go to Hua Hin 20 times for every one I go to Cha-am. It's just not that interesting except for the grass airstrip there that I fly out of.

I live directly between the two and would highly recommend that you not live in Cha-am. With a child about to start school in a couple years your options in Cha-am are very limited. In Hua Hin, there are plenty of English language (bilingual) schools and the community that goes along with that. If you are willing to trudge into Hua Hin twice every day from Cha-am then the choice is yours. Like I say, I live between the two and go to Hua Hin 20 times for every one I go to Cha-am. It's just not that interesting except for the grass airstrip there that I fly out of.

Sunrise - take your point matey,but moving down the road to hua hin in 3 years time won't really be a big problem,this is about where to live now.

But you say Cha-am is boring?

We haved lived in Cha Am for the last 8 months and really like it. It is about 20 minutes drive to HH Mall or 30 minutes to Pritchaburi Big C shopping. As far as fresh fruit, vegtables and meat go the Cha Am market has a great selection and is a fair bit cheaper. There is a super market in Cha Am although a rather small one with no produce or bakery goods.The beach at Cha Am IMHO is much nicer than the one in HH. Not the main beach but the one near the Veranda or Regent Holiday Inn.

Can't comment on schooling. For night life HH is much more active. For too much traffic and to many people go to HH. As far as crime is concerned I think Cha Am has much less than HH.

Shouldn't really be telling you this as we prefer Cha Am the way it is and don't want it to end up like HH with more people than it can handle.

To each his own. Some would be bored there, some not. As has been said, Cha-am gets hordes of Thai bus tourists on weekends then empties out. Not alot there but cheap guest houses. Stay there a couple weeks and see if it's for you. The whole area of Hua Hin and Cha-am is fantastic. I often fly inland from Had Puek Tian (15 km north of Cha-am) up to the Myanmar border and Kaeng Krachan National Park; truly spectacular scenery!

We haved lived in Cha Am for the last 8 months and really like it. It is about 20 minutes drive to HH Mall or 30 minutes to Pritchaburi Big C shopping. As far as fresh fruit, vegtables and meat go the Cha Am market has a great selection and is a fair bit cheaper. There is a super market in Cha Am although a rather small one with no produce or bakery goods.The beach at Cha Am IMHO is much nicer than the one in HH. Not the main beach but the one near the Veranda or Regent Holiday Inn.

Can't comment on schooling. For night life HH is much more active. For too much traffic and to many people go to HH. As far as crime is concerned I think Cha Am has much less than HH.

Shouldn't really be telling you this as we prefer Cha Am the way it is and don't want it to end up like HH with more people than it can handle.

Don't worry your secrets safe with me.

I have to agree with BTDT that there are nice relaxing beaches with good food in Cha-am area. There are some new developments in Cha-am at the Boat House and Palm Hills Golf Resort that are interesting options.

Actually I spent almost a year in a rented house at Palm Hills Golf Course and I agree with Sunrise it is a very nice place to be. Even bought a piece of land in Palm Village a new Palm Hills development. But after looking into building a house and the ownership rules I chickened out and bought a condo on the beach in Cha Am. Must say after experiencing the two I prefer the beach to Palm Hills. But that is a personal call and if I was a golfer I'm sure I would have prefered PH. Don't think you can go to far wrong in either one.

Good luck with your selection John.

Actually I spent almost a year in a rented house at Palm Hills Golf Course and I agree with Sunrise it is a very nice place to be. Even bought a piece of land in Palm Village a new Palm Hills development. But after looking into building a house and the ownership rules I chickened out and bought a condo on the beach in Cha Am. Must say after experiencing the two I prefer the beach to Palm Hills. But that is a personal call and if I was a golfer I'm sure I would have prefered PH. Don't think you can go to far wrong in either one.

Hi mate,just a benchmark figure how much would a 3 bed condo or house go for arounf cha-am?

Thanks,

JOHN2

Hi mate,just a benchmark figure how much would a 3 bed condo or house go for arounf cha-am?

Thanks,

JOHN2

John

Don't really keep up with the real estate market much but as a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) I would say anywhere from 50,000m2 to 100,000m2 (some asking 150,00 but in their dreams IMO) depending on

Quality of building and grounds

Quality of finishings in condo

Management

whether 49% farang part or 51% Thai part. You need the 49% portion of the building but typically not a problem in Cha Am as the condos are mostly owned by thais from BKK who only occasionally use them.

The condo my wife (also farang) and I live in is 4br 4ba 255m2 with 4 balconies + storeroom in covered parking area. On the beach, near 4 & 5 star resorts with lots of Thai and farang restaurants within easy walking distance. Normal ammenities 24hr guards, fitness room, large pool, racketball court, billard room and on site management. Very responsive management I might add. The building is 10 years old structually very sound, just finished reworking the pool and are in the process of a total new paint job.

There are 38 units in the condo, 3 buildings. My wife and I and one other couple are the only ones living here full time. It is pretty quiet most of the time. Occasional dogs or nearby resort having party. We are on the 14th floor so the view is forever beach N&S and mountains to the west, view all the way to Burma. Cha Am lights at night.

I believe they are slightly less in price than HH. Most of the new ones have to be 200mtr from the low water line or be restricted to 4 floors. Unless they have influence with the decision makers.

Lots of Thai kids around as we are right next to a fishing village. Very tidy and friendly people there, very inexpensive fresh fish.

Hope this helps John.

Thanks,

JOHN2

John

Don't really keep up with the real estate market much but as a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) I would say anywhere from 50,000m2 to 100,000m2 (some asking 150,00 but in their dreams IMO) depending on

Quality of building and grounds

Quality of finishings in condo

Management

whether 49% farang part or 51% Thai part. You need the 49% portion of the building but typically not a problem in Cha Am as the condos are mostly owned by thais from BKK who only occasionally use them.

The condo my wife (also farang) and I live in is 4br 4ba 255m2 with 4 balconies + storeroom in covered parking area. On the beach, near 4 & 5 star resorts with lots of Thai and farang restaurants within easy walking distance. Normal ammenities 24hr guards, fitness room, large pool, racketball court, billard room and on site management. Very responsive management I might add. The building is 10 years old structually very sound, just finished reworking the pool and are in the process of a total new paint job.

There are 38 units in the condo, 3 buildings. My wife and I and one other couple are the only ones living here full time. It is pretty quiet most of the time. Occasional dogs or nearby resort having party. We are on the 14th floor so the view is forever beach N&S and mountains to the west, view all the way to Burma. Cha Am lights at night.

I believe they are slightly less in price than HH. Most of the new ones have to be 200mtr from the low water line or be restricted to 4 floors. Unless they have influence with the decision makers.

Lots of Thai kids around as we are right next to a fishing village. Very tidy and friendly people there, very inexpensive fresh fish.

Hope this helps John.

Thanks very much for that but i was looking for a ballpark figure to buy a house/condo.