Hope For Farangs Living In Thailand

Chiangmai Cheers

So what is so difficult for foreigners in Thailand?

nothing is difficult, everything is business as usual, and always has been, for those foriegners i know with Non-B + WP, Non-O + marriage or retirement extension, Immigrant visa holders(Permanent residency).

it is probably difficult for those who use tourist permits as their means of "residency" because they dont/cant/wont satisfy the many other legal long term stay categorys.

What about catogorys of employment permitted for foreigners to work in? - Thailand has skill shortages in certain business sectors.

Rules over company set up (share ownership) ? - Many investors are investing outside of Thailand as the rules are not as flexible as other ASEAN countries.

Land and property ownership for westerners ?

I think these are the types of things that a new PM could/should look at.

We now have a prime minister born in England, educated at one of the world's best universities, who knows what it was like to be born and raised as a foreigner. A very rich and privileged Thai whose family probably never worked in a rice paddy, gogo club, or noodle shop, who had the privileges of high rank and good looks. Now, given all that, he might give nice English interviews to the press, and know which Birmingham and which Georgia the interviewer is mentioning. He is far more traveled than G W Bush was upon taking office. But I seriously doubt that he has the time to steer Thaiand's xenophobia or educational system into the 20th or 21st century. I wish him luck, and have hope that things may improve. Like Obama, he comes to his new office with more than enough challenges for ten chief executives.

We now have a prime minister born in England, educated at one of the world's best universities, who knows what it was like to be born and raised as a foreigner. A very rich and privileged Thai whose family probably never worked in a ride paddy or a noodle shop, who had the privilege of high rank and good looks. Now, given all that, he might give nice English interviews to the press, and know which Birmingham and which Georgia the interviewer is mentioning. He is far more traveled than G W Bush was upon taking office. But I seriously doubt that he has the time to steer Thaiand's xenophobia or educational system into the 20th or 21st century. I wish him luck, and have hope that things may improve. Like Obama, he comes to his new office with more than enough challenges for ten chief executives.

Well said, I would be over joyed if he just let the baht drop a lil to make things easier on Thai exporters so that they can be more competitive with their neighbors.

Jingthing,,, don't know who the troll is, but in this case he asked a simple question.

1. What 'hope' is required?

2. How is the a PM ,that will last 3 months, going to become a 'saviour' for all expats and farangs who want their Thailand dreams to come true?

the devil is in the DETAILS, do you have any?

QUOTE Did you even read the respondents question?Yes. Mr. T (aka Troll). Hoping is not the same thing as saying farangs are hopeless.

the op NEVER said 'a little easier', you made that up

somebody posted it might about the desire to ease visa retrictions?

another, related, poster said it should be easier to get the skilled jobs in Thailand?

Is that what is 'hopeless'? huh?

There are millions of people starving in Africa and millions of Thai newly out of work.

I really think that finding out what YOUR complaints are and fixing them should not be on the in the front seats!

We now have a prime minister born in England, educated at one of the world's best universities, who knows what it was like to be born and raised as a foreigner. A very rich and privileged Thai whose family probably never worked in a rice paddy, gogo club, or noodle shop, who had the privileges of high rank and good looks. Now, given all that, he might give nice English interviews to the press, and know which Birmingham and which Georgia the interviewer is mentioning. He is far more traveled than G W Bush was upon taking office. But I seriously doubt that he has the time to steer Thaiand's xenophobia or educational system into the 20th or 21st century. I wish him luck, and have hope that things may improve. Like Obama, he comes to his new office with more than enough challenges for ten chief executives.

Im sorry to say but he is not our PM, he is there pm. Thai people not farang who think they are thai!!

What about catogorys of employment permitted for foreigners to work in? - Thailand has skill shortages in certain business sectors.

Rules over company set up (share ownership) ? - Many investors are investing outside of Thailand as the rules are not as flexible as other ASEAN countries.

Land and property ownership for westerners ?

I think these are the types of things that a new PM could/should look at.

Why, because the impact you personally? They will not be a priority because they have no bearing on the most pressing problems.

Thailand’s growing unemployment problem is not because of the lack of investment, it is because the significant portion of the economy that is driven by exports is falling fast due to lack of orders, primarly in the electronic manufacturing and assembling sector.

I know of no "shortage in certain business sectors" that is being caused by employment being forbidden to foreigners. Can you elaborate?

Foreign investment is falling in every ASEAN country, not because of Thailand’s rules, but because of the tightening credit market and a falling demand.

What the new PM needs to focus on is solving the social-economic divisions within the country and finding a way to reduce the power of the patron-client system the controls the elections.

TH

Edited by thaihome

We now have a prime minister born in England

Im sorry to say but he is not our PM, he is there pm. Thai people not farang who think they are thai!!

Pardon my pathetic posting of personal pronouns. You're right, we farang will never be Thai, etc. But I am here and he is the prime minister of the country I live in, so he's about as prime a minister as I'll ever have.

Well, I raise my glass to the new PM, I lived here under the Dems before Toxin and it was pretty rosey then boys :D

Lived in Thailand during the TRT bs, not that rosey.

Now the Dems have re-taken power things should get a little more comfortable for us.

Think nightlife closing times and immigration laws :o:D

Understanding a Thai PM.

Hopefully he will speak in English at more interviews with the worlds press, and even in Parliament. It might make the other MPs consider learning English and becoming part of the 21st century.

:o Yeah, OK, cut that last bit about the MPs learning English.

Yeah , i was about to say you were joking until i scrolled down , the day they just 'May' become part of this century is when they lose the trait that Thai already know all , learning English would not help , they just seem to ignore the 'I understand ' part of conversation .

You must NEVER forget , Thailand is nor will be THE HUB of everything , they still do not get the fact that Thailand and Thai NEED THE WEST , NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND , THEY KNOW LITTLE AND GIVE LESS TO THE WORLD . America even grows its own rice of superior quality and actualy exports its excess , and so , what was that you were saying , mai fcuing pay when ?

Foolish words.

Well, I raise my glass to the new PM, I lived here under the Dems before Toxin and it was pretty rosey then boys :D

Lived in Thailand during the TRT bs, not that rosey.

Now the Dems have re-taken power things should get a little more comfortable for us.

Think nightlife closing times and immigration laws :o:D

I also lived here under the Dems before Toxin and everything moved at snail pace!!

Hopefully this young PM has more urgency about him!! :D:D

You know my wish list is very small I woudl like to see retirees be able to get a Residnet visa. Currently not possible. You have work permit and pay taxes. Can;t do that if your retired.

I wish the man luck and Thailand with him. He has tremedous job ahead of him. A job that I certainly would not want to take on.

By the sound of this topic you have to go to uni overseas to know anything. That's ridiculous. How does a uk education make him knowledgeable?

Because you don't buy your degree there you earn it unlike the "degrees" that are given out here to the local mutants

Are you some kind of crack head? :o

Living in another country means living by their rules, if that is too much for you, try living somewhere else, or stay home.

Yes, it means sometimes having to jump through hoops and loops which in our home countries we don't have to, at least not the ones given the right to live there because of birth or whatever.

We are guests, and we will just have to accept the time frames set for us, including the in our eyes ever changing rules and whatever it is that make it so different from back home.

We want to live in Thailand, or have a business in Thailand, it is our choice, and we know it isn't like back home, and if that is too much, than don't live there, or don't do business there.

Nobody is twisting your arm.

So again: What is difficult for foreigners in Thailand?

The only difficult thing is that you have to forget about the rules as they are in your home country, that is what seems to be the problem.

You are in a different country, so you will just have to adjust to whatever "stupidity" you think there is around.

Who made the choice to live there? You or Thailand ?

If it was you, stop complaining, and if you have no grounds to stay long time, that is one of their rules, and they must have their reasons for that. Just like any other country which handles stupid rules in our eyes.

The advantages of being in Thailand seem to be bigger than the disadvantages, or the rules would not be accepted, now would they?

End of story.

Let's hope that this will make things a little bit easier for foreigners living in Thailand. He obviously didn't get his degree at the university of Khao San Road.

Sure he's better educated than most foreigners living here. However for making life easier we might be better off with a Newcastle educated bricklayer.

Quite right. There are some, nay many, doodies that come out of Eton and Oxford, that ain't worth shit. Some of the most arrogant parasites on earth, so don't expect too much of Abhisit. He hasn't shown much political savvy or courage so far.

I think the years of the TRT party were the beginnings of fairness for ALL, not just a particular group like foreigners.

My theory is that it was just the name 'Thai Rak Thai' that set some complete idiot foreigners off thinking they were somehow excluded or something.. Utterly ridiculous, TRT was very good for everyone, including foreigners and especially foreign business. (or those wanting to start a business).

trust me from first hand experience (of having an ethnically thai wife born, raised & tertiary level educated in the west)...there is still significant thainess in their blood !!

By the sound of this topic you have to go to uni overseas to know anything. That's ridiculous. How does a uk education make him knowledgeable?

Because you don't buy your degree there you earn it unlike the "degrees" that are given out here to the local mutants

They pay for their M.A.'s - perhaps that's why he seems not to have bothered to take his M.A.

Richard.

Spend a little time in the classrooms at some Thai universities and you'll soon find out, trust me I have :o

Fair call. I haven't spent any time in thai classrooms. But to say there's no decent education LOS is pure arrogance in my oppinion.

Maybe going back to British rule of the colonies would be a good idea to educate the 'local mutants' (skiman1 quote). Are you people serious or has this topic been taken over by trolls?

Well a a volunteer in a class room one semester, what was I to do, get them to talk they all knew English. As a matter of fact they all were university teachers, It took me three weeks to get them to challenge me which was what I wanted their thoughts.

I'm not a teacher and don't profess to be, but what I am is a retired cop pretty getting people to think and chat. My only goal was to get the English teahers to use the language they were teaching. I'm happy to say they all were at the end of the semester. Could argue points with me and were not shy about it by the end of the class.

But this is the impression I was left with, they thought walking into that class that I make them memorize a bunch of junk they would never use again after the class. So I think they had been taught all thier lives to remember the things that got them graduated.

Now I don't have a clue as to what Thais are to taught a students in the Thai curriculim, but if anyone has every tried to read and write here, it requires a lot on memory work

Actually I had a lot of hope for our new PM. But, as someone pointed out politics are politics and you got to pay the devil his due. That seems to be causing problems already and the last I heard the new cabinet has not even been authorized yet.

Yellow has been replaced in the streets by red, befoe he was even appoited. On the night of his appointmet there was a fund raiser being held to ge him out.

So brillant or not I don't think we will ever find out. It's going to take a heck of a lot more them a few months for any country to dig out of current mess, let alone one that is trying to taer itself apart.

I love this country and love living here, but I know in the end this is not my buisness. I can only be sad for what I see happening today. So far it has not changed my life one bit. I just hope it stays that way.

Edited by ray23

It is just another " we are so much better" topic.

Western arrogance has no boundaries, but take a good look at the western world, and I mean a real good look.

Agree 100%. I'ts interesting that the west is in decline... Must be all those Oxford Degrees running the show!