Phishing

banK

Yesterday I stupidly opened an e-mail which warned of phishing. This from my French bank - I presume I would be sent any e-mail from them from within the secure site - unless (hopefully) it was just advertising.

I am now very worried that I have been infiltrated - since then I have not logged on to any of my bank accounts, just my e-mail accounts.

Questions:-

1. Can a phishing virus or whatever it is, be detected by normal Norton internet security system?

2. If not how can it be got rid of?

3. If I buy a new computer, could the phishing virus be embedded in the likes of say my e-mails thus negating the action of buying a new computer - always with me unless I open a new e-mail account.?

4. Is there a computer shop who can sort this lot out in Khon Kaen that can understand English?

Any solutions gratefully received.

Stupid me!!

Did you open and run any attachments or follow any links FROM the email? If you have done neither then you have nothing to be worry about Just delete the message if you no longer need it.

Just think of it like this: you receive a letter in the mailbox, you open it and read it. The letter provides instructions for you to follow and even a phone number to call. But if you don't follow any of the instructions or call any of the numbers.... basically you 'execute' nothing that the letter tells you to. So that's basically the situation you'd be in if you yourself 'executed' no actions whatsoever other than reading that email.

Next if you actually wanted to you could try to check the authenticity of the email by looking at the headers of the actual message. Very dependent on your email client/provider but most will provide the function. Shouldn't take much detective work and common sense to work out the origins from the message to verify if it came from a bank.

Edited by momosan

Did you open and run any attachments or follow any links FROM the email? If you have done neither then you have nothing to be worry about Just delete the message if you no longer need it.

Just think of it like this: you receive a letter in the mailbox, you open it and read it. The letter provides instructions for you to follow and even a phone number to call. But if you don't follow any of the instructions or call any of the numbers.... basically you 'execute' nothing that the letter tells you to. So that's basically the situation you'd be in if you yourself 'executed' no actions whatsoever other than reading that email.

Next if you actually wanted to you could try to check the authenticity of the email by looking at the headers of the actual message. Very dependent on your email client/provider but most will provide the function. Shouldn't take much detective work and common sense to work out the origins from the message to verify if it came from a bank.

A bit hazy on what I actually did, I know I opened the e-mail and there were several Blank squares where pictures would be - I may have tried to open them - but not sure - but nothing happened. Anyway, at that time I realised I had better get out of it and then went back into the inbox and deleted it.

However, there was another from the same bank in the inbox - did not open it but right clicked on it and chose the 'view source' and a few lines down it said X-SID - Fail.

Did not take note of anything else and deleted this one as well.

Not being computer literate not sure what the score is??

PS As you can see by my reply on the forum am just learning how to reply to a post!! I'll get the hang on it in the end!

Tks

It is not my intention to give you the wrong advise but as far I can see you have clicked on something which might have or not have initiated something.

I highly recommend a full anti virus/malware scan only to be on the save side. As long as you have not typed your online banking password...

the simple click on one of these squares could have installed a key logger.

/edit: added technical term

Edited by webfact

It is not my intention to give you the wrong advise but as far I can see you have clicked on something which might have or not have initiated something.

I highly recommend a full anti virus/malware scan only to be on the save side. As long as you have not typed your online banking password...

the simple click on one of these squares could have installed a key logger.

/edit: added technical term

Went out yesterday and bought a new computer - to be 100 percent sure. Picking it up next week.

Would it be safe to use the same hotmail account on the new computer or would I need to open a new account?

Obviously, I will change any passwords for banking etc., although I have not logged on to any bank accounts so those should be safe anyway.

Tks for your advice.

Bought a new computer?! Woah, that's taking it bit far. If anything had been installed on your pc then your Antivirus should have picked it up. If you are very paranoid, then a quick format and re-install would destroy anything that may have been put on your pc.