Gmail

TizMe

I have been using GMail for a short while now. (thanks to HenryP)

I really like many of its features, however on my dial up connection here in Thailand it is soooooooooooo sloooooooooooow.

In FireFox I can open my Gmail Tab, then open my Yahoo Mail Tab, read all of my yahoo mail and the opening page of GMail is still loading.

Whats your experience?

HI TizMe,

Ive been using gmail for several months now, and think its great but over the last few weeks the internet connection time has been very slow , just as you say.. Ive lost count of the friends who also comment on how slow its getting, some thing must be going on for so many poeople to be having the same problem..?

can any on come up with the answer why its now gone!! SLOW !!,

VAM...

You could try using Thunderbird or Outlook, Eudora, etc. and pick up your gmail via Pop3. (I know it works well with Thunderbird).

It's just a matter of going into the settings in gmail, and enabling your account for POP3, then going into your mail client and setting up the POP3 (and optionally SMTP) settings.

Gmail POP3 settings

Edited by bkk_mike

It doesn't seem to be slower as usual using adsl!

Gmail does work different compared to e.g. Yahoo mail or hotmail.

After you log in, Gmail loads its entire userinterface before you see anything appear (apart from the "Loading" notice)

Once it's loaded it works faster then most other webmail systems because all the buttons, graphics etc are already loaded...

Anyway the biggest advantage for me is the POP capability, for which you have to pay extra with most other webmail providers!

Follow BkkMike's link for more info on this...

I too find that loading the GMail web page in Firefox is very slow. First there's the "Loading" message in black and white at the top left, then there's the "Loading" message in red at the top right. I also run "DUMeter" so I can see what is coming down from the web - and it does seem that a lot comes down, with gaps, making it quite slow. I haven't tried using IE :o:D

Fortunately, I use GMail for the POP access and get my email using Outlook Express - and this way is very fast - much faster than Hotmail. Up until recently there seems to have been a problem with GMail's POP access. After getting the message "receiving list of messages from server", it used to time out and I would have to cancel and restart. But now it seems to work every time.

The other good thing about GMail compared with Hotmail, is that the messages end up on your PC immediately. With Hotmail, they end up in your Hotmail inbox - on the web - and then you have to select them all and copy them to your PC. So Hotmail takes two operations and the copying process is pretty slow. With GMail, the messages are on your PC immediately.

I find POP access to Gmail pretty slow, even through our works 1MB connection (on a lightly trafficked academic network). Not that it bothers me - I have more email than I know what to do with already. I'd cheer if it would jam :o

I just wish they would add the reverse feature--allow you to check other POP accounts with GMAil. I can't access my main account at work because of a firewall, but they haven't blocked GMail as of yet.

Yes, my new Gmail acct is very slow using Outlook.

But the 1000MB of storage is worth the wait as I just read my other email accounts first.

Google may just be slow in keeping up with needed BW by adding servers. It may get fixed soon ..... I hope.

Yes, my new Gmail acct is very slow using Outlook.

But the 1000MB of storage is worth the wait as I just read my other email accounts first.

Google may just be slow in keeping up with needed BW by adding servers. It may get fixed soon ..... I hope.

When I was in Thailand, I never had any problems with Gmail unless I had problems with other US based sites. This kind of implies it was my ISP that had the bandwidth problem or whoever provided them with their link to the US.

I haven't tried the POP feature with Gmail. I like the Gmail interface better than Outlook. And until I can find a local interface that I liked as much as Gmail, then I doubt I will use it. It would be really nice if Google created a Gmail Desktop. Then I start thinking about using POP.

Dave.

Edited by daveh

I've been using gmail in Thailand for several months now. Has worked really great and I use it with POP (I use Incredimail). I just contacted "Hotmail" yesterday and cancelled my "Hotmail Plus" account. By the way, to cancel the account their customer support page said I had to call an 800 number. Not exactly what I cared about doing from Thailand. So I was going to complain to them about this on their "interactive chat" and they let me do it in the "chat". Thought that was nice of them and they did ask why I was cancelling. Basically, I told them......gmail. :o

A friend just mentioned to me the other day that he was forwarding his gmail to another account -- I didn't know you could do that, but it's true. It took me some digging to find where to set that, and I don't remember the place anymore, but it's in there. About where you would set POP3 I suppose. This lets you apply gmail's spam filters before forwarding.

The friend related all this because he had recently complained to them that they were tagging the spam as such, but then forwarding it anyway. "Why?" he asked them. First they said they weren't, then, when he forwarded some proof back to them, they said "oops". So that should be fixed soon. :o

Firefox keeps ' losing ' all inbox history for me.

Have you got "Web Washer" or some such utility installed and set to "Paranoia" mode?

Ahhhhh the old Paranoia mode :o That could be it :D The Firefox is destined for the sh*t heap.

No Doc! Don't do that! It's not a Firefox problem - have a look at Firefox's "Tools/Options/ Privacy/History" settings. Maybe you haven't set the time interval long enough:

fftoolsoptions6zl.jpg

P.S. There really is a "Paranoia mode" in one of these "web cleaner" utilites - it wipes all history of what you've been doing and where you've been surfing from your PC. Maybe it's called "Windows Washer" or "Web Washer" :D

Firefox keeps ' losing ' all inbox history for me.

Have you got "Web Washer" or some such utility installed and set to "Paranoia" mode?

Ahhhhh the old Paranoia mode :D That could be it :D The Firefox is destined for the sh*t heap.

No Doc! Don't do that! It's not a Firefox problem - have a look at Firefox's "Tools/Options/ Privacy/History" settings. Maybe you haven't set the time interval long enough:

fftoolsoptions6zl.jpg

P.S. There really is a "Paranoia mode" in one of these "web cleaner" utilites - it wipes all history of what you've been doing and where you've been surfing from your PC. Maybe it's called "Windows Washer" or "Web Washer" :D

I'll take another peek RDN. Thanks :o