Volunteer As An English Teacher

SEETEFL

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a bit of a joke asking someone who wants to volunteer, but is already trained, with teaching experience, to first pay £1000 to go through another training course before they can be placed.

Obviously helping themselves is more of a priority than helping others.

The TEFL course helps to offset the cost of the administration of the foundation, visas and work permits.

It's a choice. There are many choices in Thailand if you wish to volunteer.

We spend 4 weeks with our trainees and we get to know them well. We know whether they are suitable to teach children or whether they should be offered a placement teaching adults. For example, we teach English to monks. Surely this is a far more responsible approach than placing people we don't know with children in schools and orphanages.

The training course fee is US$995 and not £1000.

I think it's a bit of a joke asking someone who wants to volunteer, but is already trained, with teaching experience, to first pay £1000 to go through another training course before they can be placed.

Obviously helping themselves is more of a priority than helping others.

The TEFL course helps to offset the cost of the administration of the foundation, visas and work permits.

It's a choice. There are many choices in Thailand if you wish to volunteer.

We spend 4 weeks with our trainees and we get to know them well. We know whether they are suitable to teach children or whether they should be offered a placement teaching adults. For example, we teach English to monks. Surely this is a far more responsible approach than placing people we don't know with children in schools and orphanages.

The training course fee is US$995 and not £1000.

You will only place someone in a volunteer work environment that you have come to know well. And the way to get to know them is through your paid course. Fair enough. If I come at you waving a perfectly good TEFL Cert and you don't know me from Jack, you're in no way obliged to sort out a placement for me. In fact, it might even be irresponsible for you to engage in willy-nilly placements and arranging of work permits. I get it.

But what if someone's already been through your course, done a year's volunteering through your placement and now wishes to get another year's volunteer WP/visa and be placed through your organization, would that be doable? Would there be additional costs other than the cost of the work permit?

They could place everyone with e TEFL Cert in a volunteer position. But then it would not be win-win-win. It would be just be win-win.

From what I can tell, the training course organizers do not claim to be a charity. They only claim to work with a charity to place their graduates in volunteer positions. If their wording seems a little vague (and it doesn't to me), you can put that down to 'marketing hype'

Company is in Thailand, bills are paid in Thailand - presumably in THB, charges are in USD.

That alone would stop me going through this system.

Our customers come from many different countries across the world and usually first find us on the Internet. We price our training course in a currency that everyone will recognize. If you read our website, you will see we use a currency converter if you wish to pay in other currencies.

But what if someone's already been through your course, done a year's volunteering through your placement and now wishes to get another year's volunteer WP/visa and be placed through your organization, would that be doable? Would there be additional costs other than the cost of the work permit?

If someone completes 1 year as a volunteer with our foundation and all reports are positive, we would be exceedingly happy to sponsor extensions of the visa and work permit for another year. In fact, if there are no problems, the volunteer can stay with us indefinitely. The cost to the volunteer would just be the visa and work permit extension costs.

If someone is worried about the quality of our training, there was a recent thread called the "Best TEFL course in Chiang Mai: Link here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tefl-Mai-t23...mp;hl=best+TEFL

Edited by SEETEFL

When they say a "police background check" are they talking about city or state or federal? I'd imagine federal, but the form on that even claims that it's not used for record of immigration, visa, employment, etc. That it's against Penal code 11125.

Anything else would seem silly since you can just go to an area where you haven't done anything before?

When they say a "police background check" are they talking about city or state or federal? I'd imagine federal, but the form on that even claims that it's not used for record of immigration, visa, employment, etc. That it's against Penal code 11125.

Anything else would seem silly since you can just go to an area where you haven't done anything before?

I hope this helps:

Inside Thailand:

(from a post on Thaivisa)

Form 47P.

Apply at :

Police Clearance Service Centret

Special Branch (Building 24)

Royal Thai Police Headquarters

Rama 1

Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Resident Citizens Provide :

Passport; Thai ID card house registration; evidence of name change; evidence of military service (Sor Dor 8 or Sor Dor 43); marriage certificate or divorce certificate, if availible; in case of minor, the parents or the guardian must be present to give consent.

The Police Clearance Service Centre open Monday to Friday from 08:30-16:30

Phone: 02-2052168 and 02-2052169

Fax: 02-2052168

Internet: www.sb.police.go.th

E-mail: [email protected]

Fee: nil - processing period is 7 working days.

Outside of Thailand:

Australia

http://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks

UK

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q542.htm

USA

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

NZ

http://www.justice.govt.nz/privacy/

SA

http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm

Edited by SEETEFL

While I appreciate that you want to recruit applicants for your course, there must be a number of people here with quality TEFL qualifications and often some teaching experience who want to volunteer but are staying under a visa that doesn't allow them to work in this way. It's unlikely that many will want to go through another full training course (for financial reasons at the very least), so why not develop a short refresher programme that would satisfy you as to their suitability and then provide the work permit and volunteer placement service? Your fee could then be more affordable and would cover the costs of the "extras" you provide with the full TEFL course plus operating profit as you see fit. Of course the other conditions such as police reports etc. would have to be satisfied too.

As long as residing on a work permit to volunteer doesn't involve regular border runs and the like then many might consider swapping retirement status to legally teach people who really need the help.

While I appreciate that you want to recruit applicants for your course, there must be a number of people here with quality TEFL qualifications and often some teaching experience who want to volunteer but are staying under a visa that doesn't allow them to work in this way. It's unlikely that many will want to go through another full training course (for financial reasons at the very least), so why not develop a short refresher programme that would satisfy you as to their suitability and then provide the work permit and volunteer placement service? Your fee could then be more affordable and would cover the costs of the "extras" you provide with the full TEFL course plus operating profit as you see fit. Of course the other conditions such as police reports etc. would have to be satisfied too.

As long as residing on a work permit to volunteer doesn't involve regular border runs and the like then many might consider swapping retirement status to legally teach people who really need the help.

:)

How about this?

Our next training course starts Monday June 22nd. I will reserve two places for teachers who already hold a 120-hour TEFL qualification and want to volunteer for our foundation. They must complete all course requirements. They will receive all course materials. They will pay zero baht to SEE TEFL.

After the training is completed, they must volunteer at least 16 hours per month and donate 12,000 THB worth of teaching materials to a school, orphanage or temple associated with our foundation (DSS Foundation). The donation will be direct between the volunteer and the school, orphanage or temple. The foundation will coordinate. After the volunteer completes our certification course, receives a police clearance and the donation is made, SEE will sponsor and administer the volunteer's application for a non-immigrant O visa and volunteer work permit and will administer without charge yearly renewals if all reports are positive.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your CV/resume with a covering message to:

info at seetefl.com

John Quinn.

Edited by SEETEFL

I am amazed at how many people seem to have difficulty with reading and comprehension these days.

An opportunity to volunteer in the community is being given to native English speakers with a TEFL qualification.

A forum sponsor is promoting this opportunity and is also promoting their TEFL training programme.

TEFL qualified teachers can either take up a paid teaching position, volunteer their services or both.

It 's not rocket science.

JxP

Thank you for the synthesis! Do you ever read the fine print in a contract you sign? :)

It would appear that things were not as simple as they first appeared.

For the record, I --and I assume some people-- would probably not mind too much working 4 hrs a week to get a visa (if I cannot get it any other way) to stay longer in LOS. I have no problem in helping and volunteering. I also realize that someone (the owner) might benefit fairly or not!

BTW, would a regular teacher with a BA, an education certificate, and 20 years of experience teaching ESL and FSL need to have a TEFL certificate?

Thank you for the synthesis! Do you ever read the fine print in a contract you sign? :)

Only if I didn't write the contract. :D

It would appear that things were not as simple as they first appeared.

Maybe I oversimplified for the hard of hearing but the essence was there.

For the record, I --and I assume some people-- would probably not mind too much working 4 hrs a week to get a visa (if I cannot get it any other way) to stay longer in LOS. I have no problem in helping and volunteering. I also realize that someone (the owner) might benefit fairly or not!

I'm not sure that this offer is intended to facilitate a visa.

BTW, would a regular teacher with a BA, an education certificate, and 20 years of experience teaching ESL and FSL need to have a TEFL certificate?

In this instance it appears so as the school is putting their reputation behind the quality of the volunteers.

I have no vested interest and have surprised myself by posting here - maybe I'm just not in the mood for conspiracy theorist whingers at the moment (NOT directed at you Mr rethaired :D ), a bloke goes out of his way to come up with an interesting offer from his business only to have his patience tried by a bunch of timewasting nit-pickers . . . bah-humph . . .

JxP aka Mr Grumpy

The above is an example of why we must know people and their motivations before we allow them to volunteer for our foundation. The above is not a valid reason to join us. People who want to join us because they cannot get a visa any other way should not apply.

Edited by SEETEFL

• 4 months later...

On July 4, 2009 our school received ISO 9001:2008 certification -- the first and only TEFL teacher training company to do so in Asia. This means we are externally audited by the world's leading certification body, Bureau Veritas, and our certification is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Authority (UKAS), which is the the sole national accreditation body recognized by the UK government to assess, against internationally agreed standards, organizations that provide certification services.

Completion of our TEFL certification course qualifies you to become a volunteer with the DSS Foundation in Chiang Mai, and allows you to teach in Thailand or any country in the world.

We are currently offering an early-bird US$200 discount for people who confirm their place at least 45 days in advance of their course.

View people who have joined previous courses at our Flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seetefl

John

seetefl.com

Edited by SEETEFL

Completion of our TEFL certification course qualifies you to become a volunteer with the DSS Foundation in Chiang Mai, and allows you to teach in Thailand or any country in the world.

John

seetefl.com

Only if you satisfy other government regulations which vary from country to country. Having a degree is unfortunately now a common one.

Edited by Greenside

So,It would be nice to know the real truth about this is as i was/am interested in volunteering in something like this that would provide benefits to both parties.

I wouldnt like to guess or allege that all is not above board but I guess my question is thus:

If someone is advertising/promoting a service like this,then there has to be operating and advertising costs???

Are we to believe if no-one is profiting out of the work of volunteer teachers then are we also to believe that john is paying the expenses out of his own pocket??

I somehow think not

So,It would be nice to know the real truth about this is as i was/am interested in volunteering in something like this that would provide benefits to both parties.

I wouldnt like to guess or allege that all is not above board but I guess my question is thus:

If someone is advertising/promoting a service like this,then there has to be operating and advertising costs???

Are we to believe if no-one is profiting out of the work of volunteer teachers then are we also to believe that john is paying the expenses out of his own pocket??

I somehow think not

There are overheads and they come out of the income from the TEFL training course.

Please meet us, our staff and current volunteers before making a commitment if you are considering joining us.

Edited by SEETEFL

who in their right mind would want to work for free????? I wouldnt lol

Must be a scam and they get the money lol

I dont think hes looking for retired plasterers or postmen wanting to make a living in thailand to support their bar girl,. no i see this as a service to help the underprivelidged and i think its a great idea,. .there are those that like to help other people ,and to those i say well done,....... :) Edited by imaneggspurt

just seeking a clarification. Does one need a WP to volunteer 4 hours a week? What if your just okay with a non renewable Non Imm ED visa?

Check with Immigration and Labour, but I understand that you need a volunteer work permit to volunteer in Thailand. However, many people volunteer for organisations without a work permit (I did myself a few years ago), and I think it's highly unlikely there would be a problem.

http://www.thaivisa.com/462.0.html

A non-immigrant ED (Education) is for educational purposes.

http://www.thaivisa.com/279.0.html

Edited by SEETEFL

I worked in sales (international development :) ) for 20 years.

I have worked in education for nearly 10 years.

I read this as a sales ploy. i.e. they sell TEFL courses to fund their business.

Anytime I want to volunteer, I can, without paying a penny, without breaking my work permit and without changing my visa status. Indeed, I volunteered at the Wat in Chiang Mai earlier this year, via my uni. I paid nothing. My rail ticket from Bangkok, accom and food were provided by the wat / uni - I gave my skills free of charge.

Lines like 'early bird discount' should make you run a mile, IMHO...

I worked in sales (international development :) ) for 20 years.

I have worked in education for nearly 10 years.

I read this as a sales ploy. i.e. they sell TEFL courses to fund their business.

Anytime I want to volunteer, I can, without paying a penny, without breaking my work permit and without changing my visa status. Indeed, I volunteered at the Wat in Chiang Mai earlier this year, via my uni. I paid nothing. My rail ticket from Bangkok, accom and food were provided by the wat / uni - I gave my skills free of charge.

Lines like 'early bird discount' should make you run a mile, IMHO...

There are many opportunities like this in Thailand. Certainly there is no need to join our programme to volunteer here.