A Rumor About The Shangrila And Four Seasons Hotels

Ulysses G.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four Seasons is definitely still open. Of course they may have closed off bits but definitely still open.

I heard the Shangri La was open but they had closed off some of the top floors (put in mothballs so to speak).

I know someone who stayed at the Shangri La about two weeks ago. I went there each day he was in town to pick him up and one evening we were all invited to the buffet dinner there (not bad except the pasta bar!), and each time it seemed like we were the only people in the hotel. It was just like out of a movie set or something, 5 of us sitting in these high ceiling, luxurious lounges each with seating arrangements for 50 people or something. Our friend thinks he was the only guest on the floor he was on. The night we were at the restaurant there were only three other tables occupied. I guess they end up throwing away more than 1/2 the food.

Edited by elektrified

I know someone who stayed at the Shangri La about two weeks ago. I went there each day he was in town to pick him up and one evening we were all invited to the buffet dinner there (not bad except the pasta bar!), and each time it seemed like we were the only people in the hotel. It was just like out of a movie set or something, 5 of us sitting in these high ceiling, luxurious lounges each with seating arrangements for 50 people or something. Our friend thinks he was the only guest on the floor he was on. The night we were at the restaurant there were only three other tables occupied. I guess they end up throwing away more than 1/2 the food.

I wonder if anyone ever suggested to have it (the leftovers)

send to father josef meyer in klong toey or for some similiar

social institution?

Instead of throwing it into the garbage?

That where our/any society is absolutely sick - sick to the bone!

Edited by Samuian

A customer just told me that the Shangrila Hotel is,"closed down" and that the Four Seasons Hotal is closed for four months. Is there any truth to this? Scary if true! unsure.gif

The expat's club had its meeting at the Shangri-la this past Saturday. Everything looked fine then.

Edited by venturalaw

I heard a similar rumour about the Le Meridien (or possibly just the restaurant).

I had lunch next to the Executive Chef of the Le Meridian today. He seemed to be having a meeting with his staff about marketing and he did not have anything kind to say about farangs in Chiang Mai or any of the foreign restaurants.

He proclaimed the Holiday Inn Sunday buffet "terrible" and went on to rip apart almost every decent foreign restaurant in Chiang Mai. He also said that they are not going to do any advertising oriented towards farangs, but will target Thais instead, as, "these farangs won't spend any money".

I don't know if this guys food is as good as he made it out to be, but he certainly got me interested in trying the place.

Has anyone eaten there yet? Rassuru? Is it that much better than any other restaurant in the city?

Hi UG,

I have eaten in the downstairs restaurant on 3 occasions, and upstairs in the "posh" restaurant. There never appeared to be many people in the downstairs restaurant, where the lunch time buffet looked very good I must admit, we ordered from the menu and found it to be a little expensive though with a good variety. On the one occasion we went upstairs I had a very good steak, apprx, 1200 bht. On all the occasions we have been there the majority of the people in the restaurants have been Asian, and possibly they were staying there as guests.

The management there need to realise that there is a plethora of competition all around them, and at a lot cheaper prices than they have. On a Sunday its possibly easier to go to the Holiday Inn, get good parking and decent Dim Sum and still only pay 30-50% of what they would pay at the Meridien. The manager needs to get the people to go into his place, where are the enticements to go to the hotel, what are the hotel PR personnel doing to get people in? Nowadays its not good enough to open up a place and say "here we are, we're open come in" and expect people to be flooding into the place.

This fellow seems to think that they are WAY above ANY competition and that they should go for high prices rather than low ones. I don't want to say what I thought he was talking about charging for a buffet, because I could have misunderstood, but it was WAY more than any other hotel.

How would you compare them to the Holiday Inn (or can you as you did not have their buffet)?

This fellow seems to think that they are WAY above ANY competition and that they should go for high prices rather than low ones. I don't want to say what I thought he was talking about charging for a buffet, because I could have misunderstood, but it was WAY more than any other hotel.

How would you compare them to the Holiday Inn (or can you as you did not have their buffet)?

Sorry to say I cannot compare the buffet's. Maybe the manager needs reminding that there is a world wide recession on!!!!! I still have not seen the hotel advertised anywhere, how does he hope to project any type of customer loyality if he isn't even getting people into his hotel to try the goods? How can he compete with the Mandarin's and Holiday Inns frequent diners card? How many times has he got his wine suppliers to put on a meet and greet dine night there, to parade what his chef's can do? There are ways to attack the problem, but putting ones prices up and then sticking ones head in the sand does not seem the way round it for me.

As I mentioned before, he feels like the farangs living here are mostly a waste of time and intends to advertise only in Thai venues. It will be interesting to see if there are enough Thais willing to pay top dollar to make the place a success. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

As I mentioned before, he feels like the farangs living here are mostly a waste of time and intends to advertise only in Thai venues. It will be interesting to see if there are enough Thais willing to pay top dollar to make the place a success. :)

Sorry, is "the fella" Thai?

Well thats his opinion and he's welcome to it. I feel that there are still plenty of Farangs about that, even in these times, are prepared to "spash the cash". The thing is they don't know whats on offer!!! I have a feeling the managers attitude may backfire on him, after all the moneyed people are already going to the other lux. hotels rather than his, and with discount cards available, albeit at a price, as they like to keep an eye on the pennies as well.

Edited by mickmac

I have not been to the Le Meridien but I've heard that the food is very good and that the chef is really top notch. I also heard that the buffet is really good as well. I must get there soon.

As far as the Holiday Inn buffet, it is probably my favourite. I'm a big buffet fan. However; I have noticed that it has changed in its selection lately and is not as good as it used to be.

I checked with both hotels. Costs for both buffets are approx the same so I'll have to get to the Le Meridien soon.

No, he is a farang.

I heard a similar rumour about the Le Meridien (or possibly just the restaurant).

I had lunch next to the Executive Chef of the Le Meridian today. . . . .

I don't know if this guys food is as good as he made it out to be, but he certainly got me interested in trying the place.

Has anyone eaten there yet? Rassuru? Is it that much better than any other restaurant in the city?

Some months ago I had dinner with three others at the Italian restaurant at Le Meridien. I remember it as being excellent, and as having a very good wine list. We all enjoyed it very much. Quite expensive, though, and not in my favourite part of town for a la-di-da dinner, so have not been back.

A customer just told me that the Shangrila Hotel is,"closed down" and that the Four Seasons Hotal is closed for four months. Is there any truth to this? Scary if true! unsure.gif

The expat's club had its meeting at the Shangri-la this past Saturday. Everything looked fine then.

Many people at the meeting /talk

but "everything looked fine" !!! how many in restaurants bars? how many guests did you see? reception and thye shops busy or completely empty? they are under cost pressure, look at the change in the finger buffet selection

everything fine. i think not.

No, he is a farang.

Is it the fat Italian guy? (Not sure actually if he was Italian but he looked it. Anyway, the chef of the Italian restaurant at the Meridien I mean?

I wasn't very impressed there and wouldn't go again even if the prices were moderate. The guy put chocolate or other sweet stuff into just about every dish. Dishes sure looked nice, but the taste was just weird, frankly.

But thanks for posting the things he said about the local expat scene.. (Guess who will be here longest, those Chiang Mai farangs or the master chef at the Meridien... :D )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If he talks like that he deserves to lose custom and he will. Maybe many Thais need a wake up call; will someone one day tell them the world does not owe them a living in the hospitality trade.

Having said that, I had a buffet lunch at the marinakorn with friends. Half full when we left. attentive service. Food fine and varied Good value. The waitor even found some lemon for my tea. The overall atmosphere was that they wanted the business. and the manager was keeping an eye on things.

In these times many farang will vote with their feet; support honest venues avoid the rip offs.

Is it the fat Italian guy? (Not sure actually if he was Italian but he looked it. Anyway, the chef of the Italian restaurant at the Meridien I mean?

Well, compared to me he was in pretty good shape. I would describe him more as plump, and he seemed either Italian or Italian American and he did talk a lot about the local Italian restaurants, but had nothing good to say about any of them.

He was not trying to hide what he was saying from the other farangs in the restaurant, but he might not have realized that we were not all tourists. He sure did communicate that he felt that his place was far superior to any other restaurant in town.

I have eaten at La Favola, the Italian restaurant in Le Meridien, several times. It was the best Italian food I've had in CM, but not cheap. I have not yet eaten at their buffet, but I'm sure they must be better than the Holiday Inn, since the Holiday Inn food is not even in the same league as La Favola.

I have eaten at La Favola, the Italian restaurant in Le Meridien, several times. It was the best Italian food I've had in CM, but not cheap. I have not yet eaten at their buffet, but I'm sure they must be better than the Holiday Inn, since the Holiday Inn food is not even in the same league as La Favola.

That is a pretty good review. I bet this guy mostly works at La Favola. Other than the Holiday Inn buffet, he mostly concentrated on dissing other Italian restaurants.

WinnieTheKwai wasn't very impressed though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I had lunch next to the Executive Chef of the Le Meridian today. He seemed to be having a meeting with his staff about marketing and he did not have anything kind to say about farangs in Chiang Mai or any of the foreign restaurants.

He proclaimed the Holiday Inn Sunday buffet "terrible" and went on to rip apart almost every decent foreign restaurant in Chiang Mai. He also said that they are not going to do any advertising oriented towards farangs, but will target Thais instead, as, "these farangs won't spend any money".

Sounds like a right prick. Dissing his own kind in front of the locals in this manner will only lower their perception of him. Suggest if he doesn't care for farangs eating in his toffy restaurant to eff off somewhere where there ain't any and take his undercooked, undersalted slop with him... somewhere in the arse end of North Korea would be good, meaning anywhere there :)

Yep, will be tough on the five stars at this time. Tourists coming to CM are generally not in that bracket.

The Shangri-La's lunchtime buffet was ever so popular I would say until a couple of months ago.

I last ate there a few days ago and apart from a large table of Korean mum's, in the 2 hours that we we're there, I saw 3 other diners. Initially the buffet was 169b inclusive and then a salad bar was added at an extra 50b (optional) cost . Today the price has increased (including avery limited but quite tasty salad bar) to 235b(inclusive of taxes). I would imagine that their increases have significantly affected lunchtime trade . I really hope the buffet continues (I could go there just for the bread selection!) but with such a self opinionated chef, who knows.

Lesson 1 in the restaurant business: understand your market and adapt accordingly.

regards Bojo

The thing is though, he may be right; I wouldn't market a seriously posh and expensive place to local (s)expats either. However I'd probably acknowledge that it was a huge mistake to invest big in Chiang Mai in the first place, where you lack the big international business market that makes such a place viable in Bangkok or Singapore or Hong Kong. Not much use blaming local foreigners for their own gross mistakes in surveying the market.

I was referring to the fact that I think that Shangri-La had their market right before even though @ 169b, lunch may have been a loss leader. The place was always quite busy with both Thai, Asians and foreigners.

I wasn't referring to the companies' choice of location. Aparently the land became part of the Shangri-La's property portfolio about 15 years ago. True?

regards Bojo

It is probably very frustrating for Gustavo, the chef at Le Meridian. Big nice new hotel, good restaurant. They go out of the gate with some 5 page promotion in Compass Magazine and numerous ads in all the local tourist and Thai publications and no one comes for dinner.

What he doesn't realize is that no one is going to dinner anywhere, there are no tourists and locals are seeing diminishing returns. It has nothing to do with what he is doing or might do in the future.

Locals have not forgotten him. They can't afford him. And this is not Bangkok or Paris or Singapore. You can't sell a hotel restaurant with 10% occupancy in the hotel.

They are, by the way, a Starwood Hotel so if you have a Starwood card you get 1/2 price which makes it affordable. I have not been there yet but I want to try it before they either take a dive or cut back on quality to save money.

I would imagine that the average well-to-do Farang would not have the same sense of conspicuous consumption as would the average well-to-do Thai relative to eating in an upper scale Farang food restaurant. So I think his plan to direct his advertising dollars towards Thais is a sensible plan.