Z Cars

Nice cars. I nearly bought a 260Z in the UK years ago and a friend at the time owned a 240Z and a 260Z. Only ever seen two in Bangkok (260's I think). The 350Z and 370Z are silly money IMHO (very nice though!)

Nice cars. I nearly bought a 260Z in the UK years ago and a friend at the time owned a 240Z and a 260Z. Only ever seen two in Bangkok (260's I think). The 350Z and 370Z are silly money IMHO (very nice though!)

Classics! Well, the 240Z anyway, affectionately known in the UK in the 70's as the "twenty four ounce."

I drove a full factory rally version in a UK forest once, and it was an absolute delight. A modern Healey 3000 with a roof!

At the Classic Car Expo at Secon Square last May there were half a dozen immaculate 240 and 260Z's displayed. Sadly the show won't happen this year, but if you google Classic Car Assoc of Thailand and ask for Khun Pravut (charming man, a real enthusiast and fluent English) he will surely put you in touch.

As for as I know, the 240,260 and 280 Z models, body is this same, just some minor modifications and the engine size offcourse. The first series 240Z has the most lightweight bodyshell, this makes it perfect for tuning applications.

• 1 month later...

Off topic, I'm sorry but 240Z your avatar is just great. Where did you get it from?

It makes me laugh every time and my daughter just loves it. You're not in marketing by any chance, are you?

more on topic.. I sold a 300 Nissan twin turbo once, a second hand one about 12 years ago. The car reminded me of Kit from Knightrider. When you drove it down the street, even at low revs, people would turn around and stare from even 100 meteres away not knowing what they we're expecting. It must have been faster than anything at 3 times it's price. Not that I'm a boy racer or anything!!

regards Bojo

Bojo, don't worry, the 300Z was a real sleeper car. The lines still look good today to boot.

DB, what's a 'sleeper car'? You mean it was slow?!!

What would be your poison? Not that Japanese are mine.

12 years later things have changed dramatically, I drive a 'click' now!

regards Bojo

Bojo, don't worry, the 300Z was a real sleeper car. The lines still look good today to boot.

regards Bojo

You misunderstand. Remember the spy movies and 'sleeper agents'? Ordinary looking people who didn't raise suspicion and who were activated when needed? That's where the term come from. A sleeper car is a car that hides its true potential and can embarrass the sporty cars that it would run up against. I've wanted a 300zx for a long time, but considering their age and lack of care in general that cars get in Thailand, I'd be hesitant to buy one.

What I'm lusting for currently is a BMW 135i. Or as a cheaper option the soon to be released Camaro. For the record, I drive a couple of different bikes and a Toyota Pre-Runner.

regards Bojo

You misunderstand. Remember the spy movies and 'sleeper agents'? Ordinary looking people who didn't raise suspicion and who were activated when needed? That's where the term come from. A sleeper car is a car that hides its true potential and can embarrass the sporty cars that it would run up against. I've wanted a 300zx for a long time, but considering their age and lack of care in general that cars get in Thailand, I'd be hesitant to buy one.

What I'm lusting for currently is a BMW 135i. Or as a cheaper option the soon to be released Camaro. For the record, I drive a couple of different bikes and a Toyota Pre-Runner.

Cheers for the 'lowdown' DB, you have described it most aptly. I don't even think I got out of 3rd gear to be honest, I was too embaressed! My salesman drove it for a coupla nights and then it sold and within a week one of the turbos blew up! The warranty wouldn't cover it and the profit went out the window!

He definitely got out of 3rd!

Watched 'Bullit' the other day for the first time in ages. Must say I really miss the classics, just a shame there's so little choice here in the Kingdom. 'Self denial' is a terrible thing but maybe 'the dream's' a better option all things considered.

regards Bojo