Cnx - Seoul - Hawaii

cm96

I've never been to KOREA/SEOUL, but will be flying KE for the first time. The layover is from around 9am to 9pm.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do? How is the airport? Train in and out of the airport?

Has anyone had this layover and checked out of immigration then back in?

If possible, any suggestions about what to check out in the city?

Interesting shopping areas? how are the seoul prices on korean products like samsung phones and handheld devices?

Things to buy that can be sold back in Thailand?

unique things to buy or cool things to see?

restaurants? ( i love korean food ),

activities for single guy??..

any and all replies appreciated

peace out cm96 :)

I've never been to KOREA/SEOUL, but will be flying KE for the first time. The layover is from around 9am to 9pm.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do? How is the airport? Train in and out of the airport?

Interesting shopping areas? how are the seoul prices on korean products like samsung phones and handheld devices?

peace out cm96 :D

:D

I have been there several times.The airport is elected as the best in the world several years after each other.I think the airport is easy,but it`s expensive.The Korean prices is about the same as UK prices.I tought I would buy a Samsung phone here,but I did not find any.I korea they do not sell mobilephones to foreigners.If you need a mobile when staying in the country you can hire one.Electronics are generally more expensive then,for instanse Thailand and Norway.The korean food does not taste like it does in "korean resturants" in Thailand.From the airport you can go by train or bus to Seoul.The bus is cheap,but I do not know about the train.You have to pay 9000KRW for the bus (200 THB).The trip takes about 90 minutes.Seoul is a mega-city and I think you can do whatever you wish there. :)

There is a hotel within security on the second level. 64 dollars US and it is very quiet and clean. That to me is the biggest feature there as you can get rested up and take in a long shower. There is lots of shopping as well, but it is spendy as the other poster mentioned.

Years ago, before they built the new Seoul airport, I used to have a 6 hr layover and it was honestly the worst, most expensive and boring airport in Asia.....even worse than Manila. Maybe it's improved now.

I now make the Bkk - Hawaii run on China air, where they give you a free one nights stay in a hotel in Taipei. Breaks up the jetlag, but makes the trip a day longer. You have to find a creative travel agent that can figure the timing out so you can avail of the free overnighter.....if you want to.

Never liked Seoul and have always felt that the people are not too friendly.

Years ago, before they built the new Seoul airport, I used to have a 6 hr layover and it was honestly the worst, most expensive and boring airport in Asia.....even worse than Manila. Maybe it's improved now.

I now make the Bkk - Hawaii run on China air, where they give you a free one nights stay in a hotel in Taipei. Breaks up the jetlag, but makes the trip a day longer. You have to find a creative travel agent that can figure the timing out so you can avail of the free overnighter.....if you want to.

Never liked Seoul and have always felt that the people are not too friendly.

Not sure what can be more boring than the Taipei airport architecture included.

come on, ya'll seasoned global travellers

culturally, most asians are not the most outgoing types as compared to most westerners.

in my younger years, these aforementioned countries were visited several times annually.

should you be fortunate enough to run into asians who were educated in the west, they would be most

delighted to assist you, whether you were in north korea, south korea, tokyo, taipei, manila or thailand.

at least, that was my personal experiences whenever i landed in those and other asian airports.

yesterday, an american friend flew in from jfk. he was reiterating about how cold the people in london

appeared to be. besides, the parisians seemed to be so self-centered.... <now wait a minute,

my daughter in law is french.... and she is most attentive to all my son's needs.... lol>

sincerely hope, your next visit would be much more captivating with someone who could converse

in english, whether good english or pigeon english.... lol

peace out cm96 :D

12 hours isn't much time - you'll probably only have about 6 hours in the city if you go. There is a train to the city but I've never taken it because the terminus is across the river from where I usually want to be; KAL limousine buses stop in front of the arrivals hall about every 15 minutes going to many areas of Seoul for 12000 KRW (last month -the price is always rising). All told, I've probably spent 2 years or so in Korea, most of it in & around Seoul. Seoul is one of the most expensive cities on the planet, so I wouldn't expect to find many bargains; but if you like Korean food, it should be easy to eat relatively cheaply (5-10 USD). Most bars don't open until around 8 PM but (as in most of Asia but not BKK :) ) they stay open until the proprietor decides to go home (often noonish), so that won't help you much. Itaewon is a popular area for foreigners, best to take a limousine from the airport to get there. On the other hand, you could take the train to Seoul Station transferring to the Dark Blue Line (Line 1) to the City Hall station. There are lots of interesting things to see around City Hall as well as several large department stores & the Myeongdong shopping area. Hope this helps!