Bistro 33 Brief Review

ColinChapman

I can't find a thread about this restaurant, so I thought I'd post my experience.

We went last night and were generally impressed. It's an old Thai house on a right hand sub soi of Suk 33, easily walkable from the BTS. There is a big, illuminated sign at the mouth of the sub soi. The decor is nice, and despite being very busy, the service was good (and there is no compulsory service charge, although 7% tax is added). A pint of Heineken was THB150 and cocktails were THB180-200. I had an excellent salami based Dagwood sandwich (THB200) and my companion had beef stew (THB400). From memory, the menu included quesadillas, bruschetta, pizzas, salads, sandwiches, wagyu beef, lamb shank and osso bucco and a lot more.

They have a range of cakes and ice creams. We tried a brownie and a nutty coffee cake, both delicious and only THB40.

So, an excellent night out, right? Anyone who has been here for more than ten minutes can probably guess what I am going to say next! The whole thing was spoiled by the ridiculously loud music. Initially, we chose a table inside, but it was so loud that conversation was impossible and we had to shout across the table. We then moved outside, where external speakers ensured that it was still too loud, but conversation was possible in a raised voice, but this would obviously not be practical if it were raining.

It's called a bistro - so why have music like a nightclub? But I can thoroughly recommend the food.

I can't find a thread about this restaurant, so I thought I'd post my experience.

We went last night and were generally impressed. It's an old Thai house on a right hand sub soi of Suk 33, easily walkable from the BTS. There is a big, illuminated sign at the mouth of the sub soi. The decor is nice, and despite being very busy, the service was good (and there is no compulsory service charge, although 7% tax is added). A pint of Heineken was THB150 and cocktails were THB180-200. I had an excellent salami based Dagwood sandwich (THB200) and my companion had beef stew (THB400). From memory, the menu included quesadillas, bruschetta, pizzas, salads, sandwiches, wagyu beef, lamb shank and osso bucco and a lot more.

They have a range of cakes and ice creams. We tried a brownie and a nutty coffee cake, both delicious and only THB40.

So, an excellent night out, right? Anyone who has been here for more than ten minutes can probably guess what I am going to say next! The whole thing was spoiled by the ridiculously loud music. Initially, we chose a table inside, but it was so loud that conversation was impossible and we had to shout across the table. We then moved outside, where external speakers ensured that it was still too loud, but conversation was possible in a raised voice, but this would obviously not be practical if it were raining.

It's called a bistro - so why have music like a nightclub? But I can thoroughly recommend the food.

Colin, You know I had the same experience at that very restaurant. I concur with your positive evaluation of the food, venue and location. Because ambient music for entertainment venues is a field I have worked in for many years, let me rant a bit on this important seemingly overlooked subject.

In a venue such as a restaurant the music style choice, attention to the acoustics of the room and most importantly the mood the venue wishes to create for its patrons are not mutually exclusive. They are rather a conceptual whole.

Literal example: This venue (Bristo 33) places ultra mini surround speakers high in the celling. They are drive by amplification I could not see but I did see a lap top computer being used for song selection. Song selection seemed to be available to the patrons as the lap top was at the end of the bar. No doubt stocked with MP3’s at a bit rate of 128. Not to get to technical but a CD quality 4 minute song 44.1/16 produces a file size of approximately 40+ megs depending on content. A 4 minute MP3 at 128 will be about 6 Megs. Q..where do you think the music went with this compression of the file to a 128 Mp3?

Secondarily: How long would a commercial radio station last if it allowed the listeners to pick the music? Answer: It would not last a book. It has been tried over and over again with utter failure as a result. The night I was in nothing but British pop music was played at distorted volumes all night. (Nothing against British pop music) this is not the point.

128 MP3’s may sound fine in an earbud to most people but when driven through

un-equalized speakers and high volumes they sound miserable. This effect over time

causes literal physical fatigue to those forced to listen in a captive environment.

The owner of this venue is well schooled in the restaurant business but has fallen short in understanding the power of the acoustic environment, music selection and technical

aspects when it comes to creating a pleasant and stimulating audio environment.

To bad, so many miss the power and profit of understanding these concepts.

Edited by tpthai2

Here's a factual review as of today of this "restaurant" for lunch.

1 other table in the whole place for lunch so expect staff to be efficient and service good.....

They do a set lunch for 199thb however we went a la carte.

1. entered the restaurant 1 staff on the phone. other 2 waitresses chatting away with the other table. Nobody pays any attention to welcome or indeed seat us at a table....2 minutes later of loitering eventually someone realises that they have customers and show us to a table.

2. Hovering staff (my pet hate) on my left shoulder as we look at the drinks menu and food menu.

3. Ordered 1 Argentinian Tenderloin and 1 Lamb shank. Tenderloin was ordered medium and strangely enough she asked how i would like the lamb shank cooked..... ....errr...ok medium i said just to humour her.

4. bread arrives.

5. 5 minutes later the olive oil and balsimic arrives for the bread.

6. Food arrives - the lamb shank was passable but cold.

7. Tenderloin was Stone cold and I mean Stone cold - cut through it - It was blue in the middle and REALLY cold to the touch.

8. Said steak sent back - steak returns warmer on the outside. Still blue in the middle. Minus Cutlery which had to be asked for. And quite frankly inedible - it was left on the plate and cleared by the staff without comment. While the manager walked about the bar area without apology.

Now I thought this restaurant would have been able to do a decent job of steak and lamb...considering the owner a la Tenderloins across the street.

So heres the deal could have had the set lunch for 199 baht. But went A la carte for a shade less then 2000THB. Quite frankly I will not return and advise anyone thinking of spending money there to think twice. The waitress staff are inexperienced, The kitchen staff cannot even cook a steak. AVOID

I have also forwarded this to the owner of Tenderloins / Bistro 33.

Edited by namoo

Thanks for the review. Perhaps they should just run across the street and get their steaks there (tenderloins).

I was at a function there recently (soi 33 bistro) in the evening so no ordering of food from menu - just the usual cocktail offerings.

To their credit, the pizzas were good, the roast beef was excellent.

Agree about the music and tv thing others have commented on.

Colin, thanks for the review, and bringing a new place to folks' attention. I gather, from the comments, this place is owned by the same folks who have nearby Tenderloins...

Re Namoo's comments... I know you've been around here long enough to know... the waiter/waitress hanging at your shoulder to order the minute you sit down seems to be an endemic thing here.... I likewise hate that...but have gotten used to it... and the moment a staff does that... I raise my palm vertically (like giving an oath) and do the "back off" motion to them...which usually has some effect.

The wife and I were out to dinner at a Japanese place last night for dinner... Never been there before. Sat down and handed a large format, what must have been 20 page menu with probably 100 or more entree items... The waitress is there right away...ready to write our order... No thanks... I'd REALLY like some time to look thru the menu, without you hovering over my shoulder waiting... GGRRRRR!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Would just like to update by saying that I went for the Sunday Brunch yesterday and it was brilliant. The food was great, there was no music (unless there was something ambient in the background which I don't remember), and the service was superb. Now managed by Bas, the former manager of the British Club. Sunday Brunch is highly recommended.

Here's a factual review as of today of this "restaurant" for lunch.

1 other table in the whole place for lunch so expect staff to be efficient and service good.....

They do a set lunch for 199thb however we went a la carte.

1. entered the restaurant 1 staff on the phone. other 2 waitresses chatting away with the other table. Nobody pays any attention to welcome or indeed seat us at a table....2 minutes later of loitering eventually someone realises that they have customers and show us to a table.

2. Hovering staff (my pet hate) on my left shoulder as we look at the drinks menu and food menu.

3. Ordered 1 Argentinian Tenderloin and 1 Lamb shank. Tenderloin was ordered medium and strangely enough she asked how i would like the lamb shank cooked..... ....errr...ok medium i said just to humour her.

4. bread arrives.

5. 5 minutes later the olive oil and balsimic arrives for the bread.

6. Food arrives - the lamb shank was passable but cold.

7. Tenderloin was Stone cold and I mean Stone cold - cut through it - It was blue in the middle and REALLY cold to the touch.

8. Said steak sent back - steak returns warmer on the outside. Still blue in the middle. Minus Cutlery which had to be asked for. And quite frankly inedible - it was left on the plate and cleared by the staff without comment. While the manager walked about the bar area without apology.

Now I thought this restaurant would have been able to do a decent job of steak and lamb...considering the owner a la Tenderloins across the street.

So heres the deal could have had the set lunch for 199 baht. But went A la carte for a shade less then 2000THB. Quite frankly I will not return and advise anyone thinking of spending money there to think twice. The waitress staff are inexperienced, The kitchen staff cannot even cook a steak. AVOID

I have also forwarded this to the owner of Tenderloins / Bistro 33.

Cold? How many minutes after your ordered?

I had a similar experience just about 3 weeks ago. I arrived on a Friday night and my gf and I were the only people in the restaurant. Staff ignored us. We waited almost 1 hour for our food. They were kind enough to give us complimentary drinks for our wait, but I didn't really care about the drinks, I wanted my food. I walked up to the staff and said we were leaving. Then they rushed in the back room and we could hear plates and dishes clanking frantically. The food arrived cold, and under cooked.