New Chevy Suv Late 2010 Or Early 2011

I read in the paper recently about GM's Thai investment plans and it includes further expansion of the car/truck plant in Rayong and building their own diesel engine factory to replace engines they currently source from Isuzu. The article went on to describe GM Thai's plans to build a new truck-based SUV in their expanded Rayong facility.

Question: Does anyone know (or would like to hazard a guess) as to what this SUV might be? Will it be based on any current GM models from either their American, Asian, or European brands? The Captiva is a car-based SUV so presumably what they have in mind is something bigger and more rugged. It will probably be a little cheaper than the Captiva as well.

Edited by FarangBuddha

I'll hazard a few guesses :D

I seriously doubt it'll come this year - the dates you've read are more likely to be "unveiling dates", not actual release-to-market dates. All light diesels sold in Thailand must be Euro IV compliant by 2012. The problem is that the Euro IV grade diesel to power them will not be widely available until late 2011. It makes no sense to release an all-new model in the timeframe your source has suggested, as it'd mean turning around an replacing it with a new model almost straight away. Still, stranger things have happened when it comes to GM :)

So it all boils down to whether this new SUV is going to be a replacement/update fo the Captiva, or something based on the next generation Colorado pickup truck (the latter makes much more sense in the Thai market)

According to my sources, the new model Colorado pickup (codename GMI700) is scheduled for a November 2011 release. It would be very odd to release an SUV variant before the donor pick-up - normally pick-up based SUV's lag their utility brethren by a good 9-12 months.

In summary, this all implies that it'll either be a replacement for the Captiva or not the schedule your source has indicated.

Hey MoonRiverOasis, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on the new car / truck market, I am very interested in what sort or specs, capacity, performance we can expect from the new diesel engine that are coming. Is there every going to be a GM or Isuzu V6 or something in in the 3.0 capacity or bigger? Thais seem to love bigger cc's and I think the market would be disappointed with everything becoming 2.5 only. My self included. Am I living in a dream world wanting a V6? :)

Some thing like this: http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/2003...603A0070872.php

Edited by Pomthai

I think you are living in a Dream, today most people (outside of USA) want Cars with less fuel consumption. Guess its easyer to reach that goal with smaller engines with less cylinder. Probably cheaper to make too.

Hey MoonRiverOasis, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on the new car / truck market, I am very interested in what sort or specs, capacity, performance we can expect from the new diesel engine that are coming. Is there every going to be a GM or Isuzu V6 or something in in the 3.0 capacity or bigger? Thais seem to love bigger cc's and I think the market would be disappointed with everything becoming 2.5 only. My self included. Am I living in a dream world wanting a V6? :D

Some thing like this: http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/2003...603A0070872.php

While no-one's made any announcements, the general vibe in the Thai industry is that all manufacturers will be placing their focus in the 2.2L to 2.5L range. This isn't necessarily as bad as it seems however, as the next generation of 2.x L engines will be approaching (and in some cases well exceeding) 200HP and 400Nm - which compares very favorably to the current generation 3.0/3.2L diesels which are producing ~165HP and ~350Nm..

At this level of performance, 2.5L is already getting awfully close to breaching the magic excise tax barrier of 220HP, which is another strong indicator that 3.0L doesn't make a lot of sense moving forward.

Still, my gut tells me that 3.0L is not yet written off - if the market demands it they'll no doubt remain, but to be honest the thought of "Somchai Average" burning around with 250HP and 500Nm is a little frightening :)

BTW, then engine you linked to only manages 165HP and 350Nm, according to Wikipedia ..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hey MoonRiverOasis, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on the new car / truck market, I am very interested in what sort or specs, capacity, performance we can expect from the new diesel engine that are coming. Is there every going to be a GM or Isuzu V6 or something in in the 3.0 capacity or bigger? Thais seem to love bigger cc's and I think the market would be disappointed with everything becoming 2.5 only. My self included. Am I living in a dream world wanting a V6? :D

While no-one's made any announcements, the general vibe in the Thai industry is that all manufacturers will be placing their focus in the 2.2L to 2.5L range. This isn't necessarily as bad as it seems however, as the next generation of 2.x L engines will be approaching (and in some cases well exceeding) 200HP and 400Nm - which compares very favorably to the current generation 3.0/3.2L diesels which are producing ~165HP and ~350Nm..

At this level of performance, 2.5L is already getting awfully close to breaching the magic excise tax barrier of 220HP, which is another strong indicator that 3.0L doesn't make a lot of sense moving forward.

Still, my gut tells me that 3.0L is not yet written off - if the market demands it they'll no doubt remain, but to be honest the thought of "Somchai Average" burning around with 250HP and 500Nm is a little frightening :)

BTW, then engine you linked to only manages 165HP and 350Nm, according to Wikipedia ..

the present japs/LOS 2,5 and 3,0 diesels with dated Denso commonrail are inexpensive to manufactor even in Euro IV shape. While modern diesels like Benz 2200cc, BMW 2000cc and VW/Audi 2000cc wyj state of the art Bosch systems are very expensive to develope and manufactor. The latter are more powerfull even at 60% of the displacement, cleaner and use less fuel, but pricy. As long as LOS market are happy with the large dated engines, I guess they will remain, at least in pickups and LOS suv.

The Chevy stand at the Motor show just had details about a Colorado with minor changes (different head lights, fog lights, front grille and LED Nav inside) and a Captiva 'Sport' model, one of which I saw on the road last week and it did turn heads (white Captiva with silver details). I'd be suprised if they released a different SUV this year.

I think the next-gen pickup, new SUV and new diesel engine plant are projects which will be implemented over 2011-2012, and I think the reason is for GM to save costs by producing the Colorado in Rayong and looking to close the US plant.

The Chevy stand at the Motor show just had details about a Colorado with minor changes (different head lights, fog lights, front grille and LED Nav inside) and a Captiva 'Sport' model, one of which I saw on the road last week and it did turn heads (white Captiva with silver details). I'd be suprised if they released a different SUV this year.

Pics of those two here.

I think the next-gen pickup, new SUV and new diesel engine plant are projects which will be implemented over 2011-2012, and I think the reason is for GM to save costs by producing the Colorado in Rayong and looking to close the US plant.

I believe the Colorado is made in LOS only, and exported to US.

The new engine must be ready by November 2011, since the present izu/chevy 2,5 and 3,0 struggle hard to manage EuroIV according to EU importers of Izu.

There was a piece in the BKK Post yesterday which confirmed that GM are working on their own Pickup/SUV platform, to be released at the same time as the new BT-50 and Ranger platforms - which means towards the end of 2011..

Apparently they're working on new 2.5L and 2.8L Euro 4 diesels to power them, which also supports the general industry "vibe" that 3.0L is soon going to be a thing of past.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hey MoonRiverOasis, you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on the new car / truck market, I am very interested in what sort or specs, capacity, performance we can expect from the new diesel engine that are coming. Is there every going to be a GM or Isuzu V6 or something in in the 3.0 capacity or bigger? Thais seem to love bigger cc's and I think the market would be disappointed with everything becoming 2.5 only. My self included. Am I living in a dream world wanting a V6? :)

I waiting for a V8

The new engine must be ready by November 2011, since the present izu/chevy 2,5 and 3,0 struggle hard to manage EuroIV according to EU importers of Izu.

I don't think so, as they have compleately different engines, specs and acessories in the US, and they are lefthanddrive overthere. I beleve they manufactor them in US for the US market

I agree...the Thai made models are exported to the SE Asian market, Australia, and the Middle East mainly. There may also be some made for the European markets as well. None get to North America to my knowledge.

That new Pearl White Captiva is sweet...Moo!

I don't think so, as they have compleately different engines, specs and acessories in the US, and they are lefthanddrive overthere. I beleve they manufactor them in US for the US market

Edited by FarangBuddha

izu dmax is made in LOS and sold in EU, of course with left side steering, defroster, heater etc.