Food Critic

bubblegum

I know that in my last post as Food Critic I was a bit negative on the local restaurants. Some of you disagreed and others pointed me in the right direction.

As stated before I really did like Rum Jungle, very good.

I think I have found another place mentioning... if you are a cheese lover it's a must...

Chez Charly, next to M&M pizza in Nai Harn. Very good real Swiss chees fondue.

Tonight ate the fondue and a glass of Rose wine. bill; 530-- bath. Now considering that there a 3 different cheeses in fondue along with white wine and Kirsch I think it is not expensive.

Staff and Charly are very nice, good service but beware.... a lot of the custumers AND staff speak French :)

am coming to Phuket next week. what thai restaurants can anyone recommend in Patong? as the last thing i want to do is eat western food while i am there.if in thailand i want to eat proper thai food.

am coming to Phuket next week. what thai restaurants can anyone recommend in Patong? as the last thing i want to do is eat western food while i am there.if in thailand i want to eat proper thai food.

You can find real Thai food anywhere in Phuket even in Patong away from the main restaurant

areas,just try the back streets much cheaper and real Thai food.

Funnily enough, there's a fair chance you will find a restaurant or two that serves Thai food. Be sure to ask for 'phet mahk' with anything you order to ensure you get the genuine Thai flavour.

But seriously, there are almost more Thai food places in Patong than there are Thais! If you want recommendations, try the pinned thread in the main Phuket forum (look at the top of the threads). There should be something in there for you. And for a cheap but enjoyable experience, try the food trolleys in Soi Banzaan starting at about 6pm. (Just ask someone to point you towards the Banzaan Market - it is across the road from the rear entrance to Jung Ceylon. If you are coming from the main entertainment area (Bangla), walk all the way through Jung Ceylon until you get out the back.)

^Yes, but only if you like your food very spicy... my 2 baht attempt at humour. (Phet pronounced - pet - means hot, as in very spicy with lots of chili [prik]). If you like it a little bit spicy - phet nidnoi; not spicy at all - mai phet. In most places, you'll be understood if you simply use English.

^Yes, but only if you like your food very spicy... my 2 baht attempt at humour. (Phet pronounced - pet - means hot, as in very spicy with lots of chili [prik]). If you like it a little bit spicy - phet nidnoi; not spicy at all - mai phet. In most places, you'll be understood if you simply use English.

wow Mr. Ping, pood Thai geng mahk, huh? I guess that bargirl Thai class (for the cost of girl drinks) has paid off...........

OP, across from the C&N hotel on 200 year road is #9 restaurant. Nice chicken noodle soup for cheap and their other Thai dishes are good too.

Go to simple places which are not geared for tourists. You are guaranteed to get authentical Thai food which is not adapted to the Western palate. Prices will be far, far lower than in "typically Thai" restaurants designed for the tourists.

It might help to do a bit of legwork to get out of the main tourist area. Foodstalls, for instance of the kind where bar staff are eating when their shift has finished, can also be very good.

To the 2nd poster who is looking for Thai food in Patong. Go where you see Thai people eating. It will be good and it will be cheap, but it won't be on Soi Bangla.

To the OP, nice to hear you found another good restaurant in the south of Phuket. Keep going to new places and let us know where else is good as I am looking for new restaurants in the area.

wow Mr. Ping, pood Thai geng mahk, huh? I guess that bargirl Thai class (for the cost of girl drinks) has paid off...........

Why, is that how you learned it?

Slope slope sly Mr. Ping, you should know that one from your classes huh? No, I did Island Learning Center for a year in 2002,and still don't think my language skills are all that great........

On topic, it would be great if we could take the pinned restaurants in Phuket and organize it into areas of Phuket. i.e. recommended restaurants Surin Beach, Patong etc. I doubt Laguna area people will go to dinner in Kata (regularly anyway), so I know that I would prefer to hear reviews about restaurants Chalong-Nai Hairn-Rawai-Kata as I do get really bored with going to the same places all the time.

Why, is that how you learned it?

Slope slope sly Mr. Ping, you should know that one from your classes huh? No, I did Island Learning Center for a year in 2002 <snip>

Oh, right. Yes, of course... :)