Buy U.S. Dollars

KRS1

Anyplace in Chiang Mai where they allow you to sell baht to buy US dollars?

Going to the US at the end of the month and need to take US dollars.

I know in Bangkok you can go to a main bank branch as long as you have a valid reason and they will exchange for you, but what about Chiang Mai?

Last year, I was here on vacation. Forgot to change my baht before I left.

No problem. There was a money exchange right in the terminal at LAX.

I probably didn't get the best rate, but it was convenient.

There is a small exchange place that sell dollars just down the street from the SCB bank at the night bazaar. Just go south about 20m from SCB(the purple bank) and it's on the right hand side. Great rates. You'll get hammered on the exchange rate if you buy dollars in the U.S..

Are there limits? When i was here 15 years ago the banks wouldn't allow an exchange of 100k baht unless it was at a big branch.

15 years ago a little thingy called the Asian Economic crisis was going on. And then: 100K baht... Wow. ;)

January 26,1998 Bangkok Bank GBP 90.31...USD 54.01. Those were there days. :lol: Its just a memory.

That was right before the crisis and got 25/1, ten months later though i came back and got 55/1 before they closed the offshore banks, same day the rate went down to 45/1.

oh and back in the days we were getting 14% interest on savings accounts, those were 'really' the days...

Edited by KRS1