Ict Warns Against Mobile Phone Registration Hoax

george

ICT warns against mobile phone registration hoax

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) told the public that mobile phone SIM card registration is free of charge and can be done only as authorised shops of known mobile phone service providers.

TNA has received a series of complaints from shops selling mobile phone in the areas of Bangkok's Min Buri and Saraburi claimed they can do the registration service at a fee of 20 baht. They have also collected copies of ID card.

As security measures following a series of mobile-phone triggered bomb attacks in the south, the government asked all users of pre-paid cards to register their user identity between 1 July and end of December. Previously buying a pre-paid phone card did not require any proof of identity.

Vice Minister for the ICT Minister for the Information and Communication Technology Kanawat Wasinsangworn said these people are fraudsters and the Ministry is asking help from the police to crack down on such abuse.

There is no fee involved and registration requires no paper except writing down the 13 digits of the ID card onto a form. Mobile phone service providers such as AIS, DTAC and Orange confirmed they have never appointed any handset traders or agents to handle registration.

--TNA 2005-07-06

What an absolute waste of time and effort.

If a would be bomber wants to detonate a bomb by mobile phone then all he need do would be to steal one and use it.

Just another crackdown by the government who are playing a stupid political game.

The game being that before the next general election Thaksin will ease all the draconian restrictions now being imposed and thus gain immediate popularity back with the electorate and win the election. :o

Try getting it registered in Chang Mai. I tried 4 places (including the Govt recommended outlets) and nobody had the faintest idea of how to go about doing it, although they'd heard about it.

Could they even organise a P-up in a brewery?

I'll just wait till december and see what's going on then (the final date)

In the mean time, I'm looking to sell my car as it's just been announced that anything over 1.8 ltrs with be either banned or heavily taxed. That's one of the latest brainwaves to level the balance of payment. It seems like the BULK of gasoline usage is via all the farmers carting their rice about. Bet they'll be pleased.

Rob

Quote, from above: "In the mean time, I'm looking to sell my car as it's just been announced that anything over 1.8 ltrs with be either banned or heavily taxed. That's one of the latest brainwaves to level the balance of payment. It seems like the BULK of gasoline usage is via all the farmers carting their rice about. Bet they'll be pleased".

Hey, rob samui, you are over-reacting. The oil isn't going to run out.

It is just that there is more demand than supply from now on, so the price is going to go up.

In fact, it has already gone up to the extent that farmers in Issan, whose rice tractor has come to the end of its life, are not replacing the tractor, but are buying a buffalo again.

No sweat. They remember how to use buffalos from the days before they replaced their buffalo with the tractor.

The rest of us, who are now faced by needing to be a bit more frugal, may remember the days a while back when we didn't have it so good as we have had recently. Those who don't will be able to learn from those who do.

No great sweat---we can all live a lot more frugally, without being any less happy.

There is no fee involved and registration requires no paper except writing down the 13 digits of the ID card onto a form. 

--TNA 2005-07-06

I went to DTAC shop at Robinson Sukhumvit and asked to register the phone. The girl there needed about 5 minutes to understand what I wanted, finally she gave me a form - and told me what each of the columns meant - of course I couldn't figure it out, since there were 0 entries in it.

I was surprised (having brought my passport and a copy with me) that she only asked me to write the passport number in the form, and didn't even bother to ask me to see it. I could have as well written any other name and passport number and given the IT expertise of this government's services, I don't think they'd ever find out.

So it worries me that while I absolutely support the registration, operators don't seem to really care about what people put in the forms, rendering the whole exercise useless. What bothers me even more is what happens, when a spammer comes to a shop which has a lot of registrations done, and sees everyone else's name, phone number, ID number.... What do they do to protect the privacy of users that registered?

Well.... nothing. :o

sounds pretty thai efficient !!! :D

Just did. Yesterday in DTAC Shop at Tesco-Lotus, took about 2 minutes.

Including finding the form...

Try getting it registered in Chang Mai. I tried 4 places (including the Govt recommended outlets) and nobody had the faintest idea of how to go about doing it, although they'd heard about it.

Arrived in KKC last Friday and bought a SIM card to replace the UK one, no questions asked. Saturday bought a top up card same again and today bought another top up card in Roi Et, same again and staff always change the card and top up the phone for me.

Anon999

I topped up my orange at 7/11 yesterday and again with no need to register.

However, the dateline is 6months because it is we who are responsible registering, not the assistants to ask. Even by 31st Dec you are unlikely to hear them ask as getting cut off will be our problem not theirs.

As mentioned above and I concur, I shall wait until late Dec. and see what transpires.

T.

So it worries me that while I absolutely support the registration, operators don't seem to really care about what people put in the forms, rendering the whole exercise useless. What bothers me even more is what happens, when a spammer comes to a shop which has a lot of registrations done, and sees everyone else's name, phone number, ID number.... What do they do to protect the privacy of users that registered?

Well.... nothing. :D

I also had a similar experience, Chiang Rai Big C. Both Detac and Orange had the form available, as you say after some blank looks and explaining from me. The form had a few names already, also no copy required. Also no privacy. :o

on leaving bkk, at don muang, i went to the AIS desk term 1.

i was told it was not possible to register there, and would have to do it at the city office.

after explaining i was probably out of country for the six months, the assistant offered to take my details and deliver them to the city office.

she took the phone number, passport number, and a note from me stating the reason for not being able to attend in person. she told me to email AIS customer service to confirm, which i did on return to the UK.

i received an extremely polite confirmation that she did in fact do this for me, and the number was now registered.

i think chocolates are in order for that assistant on my return.

i have never been one to stick to the rules, so it was nice having them bent for me!

Edited by frankthetank

Humerous yes ..if it wasn`t so serious.

With to-day`s GSM technology an experienced bomb maker will be able to wire together a phone and detonator. Phones are reliable and the cautious terrorist can either use the things alarm clock to trigger the bomb, thereby avoiding anxiety about unintentional lethal telemarketing or other calls, or make sure that only a call from his own number will cause the phone to ring. :o

• 3 weeks later...
Humerous yes ..if it wasn`t so serious.

With to-day`s GSM technology an experienced bomb maker will be able to wire together a phone and detonator.  Phones are reliable and the cautious terrorist can either use the things alarm clock to trigger the bomb, thereby avoiding anxiety about unintentional lethal telemarketing or other calls, or make sure that only a call from his own number will cause the phone to ring. :o

Ssh, they'll have us registering all our alarm clocks next