Unable To Connect To Some Urls

MikeWill

I have tried several browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE) and all of them cannot display the webpage, or tell me that the webpage is not available. The site I am trying to load is http://1337x.org/ (but it happened with other sites as well), and it is reported by http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com that the site is up. I am also able to load the site using the proxy (I'm using cgiproxy).

Who is blocking this site (and why) ?

I am not sure if it's Thailand specific, as there is no mention but only:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://1337x.org/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

Below is the original error message

Error 10 (net::ERR_ACCESS_DENIED): Unknown error.

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 1337x.org.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

"Try Again" button

Every time I see these errors I need to try and reload the page with the proxy.

No problems with 1337x today, but I do often have the same problem with them and ahashare.com (similar sites and share some staff).

I find that clearing my cache (cookies, temp internet files etc) and restarting my browser usually works, they always come back up straight away. These are the only two sites I have this problem with on a regular basis, dunno why.

Edit: BTW, Demonoid is open for registration today if you're interested, it will close again tomorrow or Tuesday.

Edited by flexxx

What ISP are you with? I'm with True and I have no problems connecting to 1337x.org

Also, what are the benefits of registering with demonoid? The public has access to their trackers don't they?

Edited by Zzinged

What ISP are you with? I'm with True and I have no problems connecting to 1337x.org

Also, what are the benefits of registering with demonoid? The public has access to their trackers don't they?

1. I'm also with True in Bangkok. BTW, they just recently upgraded me to 6 MB package and it is fast for both browsing/downloading and torrents.

2. Not too many, but at times they have torrents for members only.

iptorrents.com is a better alternative.

Do you use Malwarebytes software, as this will block 1337x.org, I had this problem last week.

You will have to delete malwarebytes, and if you reinstall it do not let it do protection mode.

Edited by beano2274

Do you use Malwarebytes software, as this will block 1337x.org, I had this problem last week.

You will have to delete malwarebytes, and if you reinstall it do not let it do protection mode.

Probably, that's it!

I do use Malwarebytes.

Isn't it enough to just uncheck the Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts. (under Protection tab)

Unfortunately, I do not see how to add the website(s) to the Ignore List.

Maybe, I can find the answers at Malwarebytes forum.

Thank you beano2274.

P.S.

As soon as I wright-clicked the Malwarebytes icon in the System Tray, and unchecked the Website Blocking, I am able to load the site (i.e. http://1337x.org/).

Thanks again.

Edited by Condo_bk

Probably, that's it!

I do use Malwarebytes.

Isn't it enough to just uncheck the Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts. (under Protection tab)

Unfortunately, I do not see how to add the website(s) to the Ignore List.

Maybe, I can find the answers at Malwarebytes forum.

Thank you beano2274.

P.S.

As soon as I wright-clicked the Malwarebytes icon in the System Tray, and unchecked the Website Blocking, I am able to load the site (i.e. http://1337x.org/).

Thanks again.

Sounds like Malwarebytes being overzealous with their site blocking procedures. I use the freebie version of Malwarebytes which doesn't have that menu option. Useful tip though beano2274.

If you're using Firefox and have subscribed to Adblock Plus, you might want to consider using the filter they have in place to block malware domains. You'll find it at the foot of the subscriptions page under the heading "Miscellaneous". Click the link called "Malware Domains" to add it to the filters.

Alternatively, install the Dr. Web AV link checker and then you can right click any link you propose to surf to to check to see if it's malicious or not.

Edited by Xircal