Immigrant Visa For Thai Wife To America

We have been married 4.5 years and I have lived in Bangkok for 7 years. We are supposed to be applying for an IR-1 VISA.

First Step

Complete Forms I-130 and G-325a for her and Form G-325a for me. Submit this to USCIS Bangkok in Sindhorn Tower.

Step 2

Wait to be contacted by the NVC for payment and then NVC will give me an interview date at the US Embassy.

Step 3

You go to the interview at the US Embassy.

Anything I missed or got wrong?

Sounds about right to me. We are going through it now. USCIS forms have been submitted. NVC has been paid. Waiting on interview.

Around $800 so far. Not sure about how much more but I am sure some branch of the government will have their hand out.

You can look at a couple of my previous posts[1] to see how this works, but you're essentially correct:

1) Submit I-130 and G-325a for you and your spouse to USCIS here

2) Wait for approval

3) Submit I-864 and DS-230 to USCIS here

4) Wait for approval

5) Receive interview, go to America

The DS-230 has the other big fee ($400 ish?) along with the I-130. You won't need to pay the I-864 fee as it's being reviewed internationally. You will need to show to the satisfaction of whoever is reviewing your case that you will have sufficient assets and/or income after leaving Thailand with the I-864.

[1]:

http://www.thaivisa....ost&pid=3808327

http://www.thaivisa....ost&pid=3877407

Edited by neuf

i thought the form said $355 ?

I paid $355 to USCIS. $400 to NVS. and $40 for some misc. BS.

That would probably be the fee to have the Affidavit of Support (the I-864) reviewed domestically. The fee is waived when doing Direct Consular Filing.

A few questions:

1. Our Marriage Certificate needs to be translated. Does the translation need to be stamped/certified at the Ministry of Affairs?

2. What about her Birth Certificate? Same question as above.

3. The Packet 3 instructions I downloaded off of the Bkk Website say that you SHOULD NOT carry in the DS-230... So when/where/how do you make the $400 payment? This is not paid at the US Embassy Cashier?

Thanks

A few questions:

1. Our Marriage Certificate needs to be translated. Does the translation need to be stamped/certified at the Ministry of Affairs?

2. What about her Birth Certificate? Same question as above.

3. The Packet 3 instructions I downloaded off of the Bkk Website say that you SHOULD NOT carry in the DS-230... So when/where/how do you make the $400 payment? This is not paid at the US Embassy Cashier?

Thanks

1/2. For the first set of documents associated with the I-130, all documents must be in English or certified suitably. Unfortunately they don't specify what "suitably" means, so to be safe I'd get it stamped. (for the second set of documents associated with the DS-230 they can be in English or in the language of the host country (Thai) so no translation necessary)

3. First you pay the $400 and then you are allowed to mail in the DS-230 part 1 signed and part 2 unsigned, along with a letter stating you have all the other documentary requirements. Unfortunately I don't know where to pay it, but when you submit the I-130 you might be well served to drop it off in person and ask.

• 3 weeks later...