Christmas Dinner 2010

venturalaw

I have been researching the available lunch/dinner fare this holiday season. Thanksgiving provided many venues of buffet/sit-down lunch and dinner choices that were reasonably priced (although some did not provide a carved turkey, but merely turkey parts, thereby limiting ones choice to dry white meat).

Now that Christmas is approaching prices at the most popular places have more than doubled. Are there any reasonably priced choices which include a real (whole) carved turkey as part of the celebration?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demand is higher at Christmas as its not just Americans wanting a meal.

Supply is the same - there hasn't been a wave of new restaurants opening over the last couple of weeks.

Simple supply and demand economics dictates that prices will therefore increase.

Supply is the same - there hasn't been a wave of new restaurants opening over the last couple of weeks.

Simple supply and demand economics dictates that prices will therefore increase.

I understand and support businesses seeking to profit. But more than doubling the price seems over the top.

From what I've been told, at least one, Bake & Bite, has managed to keep the price the same as when they served their outstanding Thankgsiving meals (with whole turkeys). But so far, they are the only restaurant that I could find.

Edited by venturalaw

I understand and support businesses seeking to profit. But more than doubling the price seems over the top.

From what I've been told, at least one, Bake & Bite, has managed to keep the price the same as when they served their outstanding Thankgsiving meals (with whole turkeys). But so far, they are the only restaurant that I could find.

Supply and demand i suppose and the fact the expats form a captive market.

Prices and margins vary in the Uk of course but a two course pub meal varies between 4 and 6 pounds, beer margins are around 40% and food 60%

a good christmas meal same as on offer here around 10 pounds ( three course generous portions and a drink) on christama sday because of overtime rates around 12

venturelaw is right

Supply and demand i suppose and the fact the expats form a captive market.

Prices and margins vary in the Uk of course but a two course pub meal varies between 4 and 6 pounds, beer margins are around 40% and food 60%

a good christmas meal same as on offer here around 10 pounds ( three course generous portions and a drink) on christama sday because of overtime rates around 12

venturelaw is right

A lot of restaurant prices were OTT when it was 67 Baht to the pound! If Bake and Bite are keeping their prices the same, then that's a good option and the food is very good.

Edited by uptheos

Many establishments have come to realize that there is a captive market for the "western" holiday meals, and are getting on the bandwagon of charging double or triple of what they normally charge during the rest of the year. For instance last year the Shangri-la Hotel had a Christmas buffet at 549 baht (including tax and service) and the place was packed. The food selection was good, although they ran out of turkey, and the atmosphere was festive. This year the price is almost doubled. The other hotels are charging 1000 to 1500 baht or more. Although, converted to western currencies, the prices are still reasonable, but we are in Chiang Mai, and the prices are very expensive compared to the local economy. West is putting on a two sitting English style Christmas Dinner at 450 baht, which is fair.

It is nice that the hotels and other establishments want to cater to us expats, but I think that the price has become a little excessive, if not just downright greedy.

There are alternatives and I am planning to have some guests over and have order in a festive meal from a local Thai restaurant (my choice of western items) and hire a server to set up and clean up. I am sure that this can be done for about 300 baht per person.

Many establishments have come to realize that there is a captive market for the "western" holiday meals, and are getting on the bandwagon of charging double or triple of what they normally charge during the rest of the year. For instance last year the Shangri-la Hotel had a Christmas buffet at 549 baht (including tax and service) and the place was packed. The food selection was good, although they ran out of turkey, and the atmosphere was festive. This year the price is almost doubled. The other hotels are charging 1000 to 1500 baht or more. Although, converted to western currencies, the prices are still reasonable, but we are in Chiang Mai, and the prices are very expensive compared to the local economy. West is putting on a two sitting English style Christmas Dinner at 450 baht, which is fair.

It is nice that the hotels and other establishments want to cater to us expats, but I think that the price has become a little excessive, if not just downright greedy.

There are alternatives and I am planning to have some guests over and have order in a festive meal from a local Thai restaurant (my choice of western items) and hire a server to set up and clean up. I am sure that this can be done for about 300 baht per person.

good factual post

The Christmas Dinner at West is very reasonable but where is it and is it any good

The Christmas Dinner at West is very reasonable but where is it and is it any good

West Restaurant is just off Huay Kaew Road in a strip type store plaza across from Hillside Four. I am a regular client of the establishment, and David the owner does things well, however, I have not had a Christmas dinner there. The atmosphere is that of outdoors and is missing the ambience of an elegant venue like a hotel setting. However, I do believe that if one does not mind this, the food will be wonderful (He has two choices for Christmas--pork or turkey).

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ^#@!(*^&%$)@@ machine says there has been a failure and then posts it any how.

Sorry about that this was a double post.

Edited by jayjay0

You stated

("the prices are still reasonable, but we are in Chiang Mai, and the prices are very expensive compared to the local economy")

You are correct. However you neglected to mention our income is extremely high compared to the local Thai population. Particularly if you are on a retirement visa witch many expats are on.

That being said it would make no sense to me what so ever to go looking for a Christmas diner based on price. It is only one day of the year. Granted there are some out there that the price is just ridicules.

But for once a year I have no problem with 750 Baht.B) That is about $25 U. S.

You state

("the prices are still reasonable, but we are in Chiang Mai, and the prices are very expensive compared to the local economy")

You are correct. However you neglected to mention our income is extremely high compared to the local Thai population. Particularly if you are on a retirement visa witch many expats are on.

That being said it would make no sense to me what so ever to go looking for a Christmas diner based on price. It is only one day of the year. Granted there are some out there that the price is just ridicules.

But for once a year I have no problem with 750 Baht.B)

Absolutey agree, but often the food put on at Christmas is basically of the same (often low) quality as that put on most of the year, There are certain places that I wouldn't pay 200 Baht for a roast dinner, so I sure as heck am not going to pay 750 Baht because the menu's jazzed up........it's not as if they change the chef at Christmas.

You stated

But for once a year I have no problem with 750 Baht.B) That is about $25 U. S.

I would not mind paying 750 Baht either. I always prefer paying for quality rather than paying a lower price for low quality. However what I am finding in my research are prices closing in on 900 Baht per person when, for Thanksgiving, they charged approximately 400 Baht. That's too much of an increase as far as I'm concerned.

750 baht for a Christmas dinner is a pretty good deal if the establishment offers a quality holiday experience and the selection of food is good. Some places are charging well above 1000 baht which in many cases is excessive. Just because we may be able to afford it doesn't mean we have to get gouged. We can get that back in our home country.

Edited by prism

Try triple that price 1,500THB and 750THB for children, they emailed me their menu Christams and New year menu.

We are still undecided I think we will end up in a resturant with friends but I dont see a Western Christmas dinner more likely laab moo and others :lol: I dont mind as long as everyone is happy and havign a good time. :jap:

Try triple that price 1,500THB and 750THB for children, they emailed me their menu Christams and New year menu.

We are still undecided I think we will end up in a resturant with friends but I dont see a Western Christmas dinner more likely laab moo and others :lol: I dont mind as long as everyone is happy and havign a good time. :jap:

I would hope at those prices you would at least have carved real whole turkey(s) instead of mere pieces of dried white meat. It's still too expensive IMHO.

Just out of curiosity, I haven't heard much said about The Red Mango since it opened.........any updates on how it's doing, the quality of the food, prices etc, and do they have plans for Christmas?

I went by there a week ago Saturday at around 23:00...thought I'd check it out and have a beer. They were closed, everything was dark.

You state

But for once a year I have no problem with 750 Baht.B)

Absolutey agree, but often the food put on at Christmas is basically of the same (often low) quality as that put on most of the year, There are certain places that I wouldn't pay 200 Baht for a roast dinner, so I sure as heck am not going to pay 750 Baht because the menu's jazzed up........it's not as if they change the chef at Christmas.

Good point. It is all about value. Not how rich we are compared with Thais ( not always true anyway)

I normally go to the Grandview Hotel (140 baht)or Empress Hotel buffets. They have a selection of roasted western meats and spuds plus all the other stuff. Great value plus no Christmas carols nor silly Santa Christmas hats. I'm not sentimental about this time of year.

Edited by Loaded

I normally go to the Grandview Hotel (140 baht)or Empress Hotel buffets. They have a selection of roasted western meats and spuds plus all the other stuff. Great value plus no Christmas carols nor silly Santa Christmas hats. I'm not sentimental about this time of year.

I usually go where friends are going - as you say it's not about silly santa hats and carols, but rather the company. I'd much rather be at one of the buffets stated above if that's where friends are, rather than sitting amongst a bunch of strangers, pulling their crackers. wink.gif

However, if they want a sit down served meal, that's OK with me too.

Well said, Loaded. I love being in a Buddhist country especially this time of year!

In about 1992, a few friends decided to go to Cambodia to "escape" Christmas. We checked into our hotel and looked out the front window only to see a Go-Go bar decorated with Christmas decorations and two young ladies dressed as Santa's helpers out in front to attract customers.

You can't get away from it easily, so might as well enjoy it. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I would not mind paying 750 Baht either. I always prefer paying for quality rather than paying a lower price for low quality. However what I am finding in my research are prices closing in on 900 Baht per person when, for Thanksgiving, they charged approximately 400 Baht. That's too much of an increase as far as I'm concerned.

There were some hefty looking meals served at Thanksgiving too!

Edited by uptheos

I normally go to the Grandview Hotel (140 baht)

I wonder if they are doing anything special for the holiday. I agree that it is a good deal, but am willing to splash out a little more on Christmas for some of those childhood favorites.

Edited by Ulysses G.