New Thai Law On Alcohol Level While Driving Enforced In February

webfact

What's wrong with enforcing realistic drink-driving laws?

I also recall the 'good old days' when booze was available at gas stations. I even recall a new Shell station at the old Bangna-Trat/Sukhumvit junction offering 2-for-1 shots of Mekhong to drivers gassing up, just to celebrate their grand opening. You got a shot if you bought gas, you got a double if you filled your tank! The difference between now and then was the amount of vehicles on the road and the higher speed of the traffic. You could dodge the bullet easier back then, pissed or otherwise.

What's new about restricting alcohol consumption in general?

We have seen the laws enforced about no alcohol in advertising, no or limited event sponsorship by alcoholic beverage companies, alcohol trading hour restrictions and the total alcohol sales bans on certain holidays and all elections. Regardless of the shirt colour, there's a socio/political grouping with a vested interest in restricting alcohol sales through increasing legislation.

There is an alcohol problem with a certain demographic in LOS but strangely enough, that particular brew/blend isn't demonized as much as the recognizable, up-market brands, if at all.

Yes, God knows that I have been guilty of breaking the lax drinking laws here in the past and there is none so zealous as a reformed drunk driver. :)

But the fact remains that here, in Pattaya, probably more so than Bangkok, there must be literally thousands of drunk drivers on the roads here every day of the week, both Thai and farang.

Out where I live in East Pattaya, there is virtually no public transport, but there are hundreds of bars and restaurants and the only way to get there is by your own transport. Up here by Lake Mabprachan, however many vehicles you can count outside any bar is the number of customers getting drunk inside. Just about every customer comes in their own vehicle and when they drive home a vast majority will be way over the limit - some pissed as farts. Frankly its a wonder there isn't even more accidents.

We can all joke about how incomprehensible the laws are and how lax is the enforcement, but make no mistake, those of us who have been here for years have witnessed a subtle change from Thailand being a third world country, where anything goes, to a country which is slowly getting itself into the 21st century. Sometimes it seems like its one step forward and two steps back, but there is no doubt that over time, things do change for the better; infrastructure does improve, living standards of the general population get better and the laws are better enforced. Sure there is still massive corruption, but that doesn't stop the irreversible march of progress.

If you think you can ignore the new drinking laws, then good luck to you, but IMHO, it won't long before a few farangs get hung out to dry and spend a tidy spell behind bars.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as there is a list of occupations non-Thais cannot hold, perhaps there should be a list that Thais cannot hold, without help from a Farang.

Let's start with translating news stories into English. This one is an obvious example, but what about all the other ones that "almost" got it right?

Really, as it stands it is pointless reading any of this stuff and Thai Visa is doing a disservice posting any of it in its raw form.

You guys don’t get it.

Thai Visa Forum is trying to help the foreigners who have English comprehension ability to learn what the Thais are saying so when the foreigner is driving a motor vehicle s/he can decipher what the road signs are trying to tell the foreign driver.

I.e. Look around Pattaya at the intersections were left turn on red is permitted. Now that is all the sign has to say:

“LEFT TURN ON RED PERMITTED AFTER FULL STOP”.

Simple isn’t it, not so for the Thais who concoct these signs.

Just as there is a list of occupations non-Thais cannot hold, perhaps there should be a list that Thais cannot hold, without help from a Farang.

Let's start with translating news stories into English. This one is an obvious example, but what about all the other ones that "almost" got it right?

Really, as it stands it is pointless reading any of this stuff and Thai Visa is doing a disservice posting any of it in its raw form.

You guys don't get it.

Thai Visa Forum is trying to help the foreigners who have English comprehension ability to learn what the Thais are saying so when the foreigner is driving a motor vehicle s/he can decipher what the road signs are trying to tell the foreign driver.

I.e. Look around Pattaya at the intersections were left turn on red is permitted. Now that is all the sign has to say:

"LEFT TURN ON RED PERMITTED AFTER FULL STOP".

Simple isn't it, not so for the Thais who concoct these signs.

Apparently we do. Thanks for the vindication, whether you realize it or not.

Have a Thai/Farang team translate accurately and this thread would have lasted about 10 posts.

Of course the more post/readers, the more advertising. I guess confusion is good for someone.

I agree with Mobi, it's high time something was done and prosecutions were made. A car passed me on my bike on soi siam country club heading towards maprachan, swerving all over the place and travelling at a crazy speed. He just missed me but hit a Thai guy in front of me. Luckily he only glanced him. He was battered and bruised and very shaken up, but luckily nothing too serious. If he'd have caught him square he would have died for sure. Naturally the driver of the car didn't stop. If he had I would have administered some instant justice! Driving a car pissed out of your mind is no joke, you are playing with innocent people's lives. Get a taxi or don't drink. Simple.

Edited by foxboy

nothing wrong with enforcing drink driving laws, the key word here is "enforcing".

In BKK these laws are probably enforced but in other provinces I have my doubts. Well at least in Krabi I see that all those laws are NOT being enforced.

That is because the Thais don't want the falang not to come, spend their money and party.

I live in a very rural area of southern Thailand.

Here there are no falang and they do have checkpoints and they do write tickets and you must go pay at the lung puk.

it's just that most falang here live in what I call Thai disneyland.

This is different then real Thailand.

If you love Thailand you should try living in real Thailand.

If you are just here to party then screw you anyway,

Move to a neighboring country.

There are plenty.

We don't want you here anyway.

You are loud, obnoxious and basically disrespectful.

Just go away and be drunk somewhere else.

What's the point in penalising passengers? Say you drive a friend home to stop *them* driving home. You get fined because they are pissed and you are doing a public service?

Stupid. As usual.

Hahaha, funny no matter how you read it...especially if you can't be a drunk passenger!

Clueless about the passenger bit though.... However, in Texas which has the 'open container' law, if a car is pulled over and open booze bottle or can is found, both driver AND imbibing passenger get citations. Maybe that's their ultimate plan here? Targeting public intoxication maybe?

Don't know if it has been said yet, but the open container law would be so that the driver can't just hand his beer to the passenger while they drive past the police. But there really is no need for that. All you have to do breath test the driver.

Expect what they mean is all public transport drivers cannot drink but those passengers drunk in taxis, motorcycle taxis or minibuses are exempted. If you're a passenger pissed on the Skytrain or public bus, being a pain to the masses (drunken farangs coming off of Sikandvomit road) then look out.

just Bangkok then?

There are public buses and trains elsewhere in the country, are there not?

Instead of focusing on drunken passengers, they should focus on teaching the people to drive...period. They can't drive when they are sober...so what good is busting them for drunk driving going to do? Get to the core of the problem here....There is no driving training ( pay 2000B and some guy who doesn't know how to drive himself is your instructor)...no traffic enforcement for safety's sake...no rules of the road other than my vehicle is bigger...newer...more expensive...therefore I have right of way. Teach them depth perception and braking abilities of vehicles. Ticket them for double & triple parking. Ticket motorbikes for not having proper lights. The list goes on and on.

According to the Ministry of Transport, drivers and passengers of all public transports except taxi, motorcycle and public van drivers will be penalized if the alcohol levels found in their blood exceed 50 milligrams. The new law expects those belonging to the group to stay completely sober while driving.

Well, at least it's good to know the taxi drivers, motorbike drivers and mini vans will be able to continue to drive totally sh*t faced.

Considering those are the ONLY things on the roads, I feel safer now.

I have always marvelled at the law on alcohol sales during certain times, one bottle cannot be purchased, but 10 literes or a case may be purchased..?? Meaning it is not OK to have amild buzz, but to be totally drunk is no problem..?? Or maybe to buy for all your friends is OK, then everyone can be causing accidents.

nothing wrong with enforcing drink driving laws, the key word here is "enforcing".

In BKK these laws are probably enforced but in other provinces I have my doubts. Well at least in Krabi I see that all those laws are NOT being enforced.

That is because the Thais don't want the falang not to come, spend their money and party.

Here there are no falang and they do have checkpoints and they do write tickets and you must go pay at the lung puk.

There are plenty.

Sorry Southernman, but I have lived in many places in Thailand and don't see it different anywhere. The Police are corrupt. In Nongkhai, they invented problems (missing registration - in the officer's hand) to charge an official fine of 500 Baht. In Udon, people are stopped for speeding in areas where speeding is next to impossible - no radar - 100 Baht fine to the officer.

Both officially and unofficially, the Police are out to steal money from Farangs.

Look at the immigration fiasco - where all Farangs must report every 90 days and a yearly renewal fee. Many other countries do everything in the first year, with maybe a followup a year later - one small fee for 'permanent' residence and not being treated like criminals, by checing in with Police.

There are plenty.

Sorry Southernman, but I have lived in many places in Thailand and don't see it different anywhere. The Police are corrupt. In Nongkhai, they invented problems (missing registration - in the officer's hand) to charge an official fine of 500 Baht. In Udon, people are stopped for speeding in areas where speeding is next to impossible - no radar - 100 Baht fine to the officer.

Both officially and unofficially, the Police are out to steal money from Farangs.

Look at the immigration fiasco - where all Farangs must report every 90 days and a yearly renewal fee. Many other countries do everything in the first year, with maybe a followup a year later - one small fee for 'permanent' residence and not being treated like criminals, by checing in with Police.

Sorry back atcha but, I have been here for 30 years and never had to pay the police anything.

I guess it depends (like everywhere) on who you know.

I got stopped on 31 Dec. at a road block for going the wrong way on a service road on my chopper.

No problem.

Just called one of my best buddies (the Mayor's older brother).

He came right on over.

Instead of paying them by the end, they were apologizing to me.

We all lead different lives.

Yes the police here are corrupt and lazy.

No they don't make enough salary.

But we know all of this already......

Oh yea, and my visa is so smooth I won't even bore you with that story.

There are plenty.

Sorry back atcha but, I have been here for 30 years and never had to pay the police anything.

I got stopped on 31 Dec. at a road block for going the wrong way on a service road on my chopper.

No problem.

He came right on over.

its not a matter of if

its when

There are plenty.

No problem.

He came right on over.

its not a matter of if

its when

When what ?