Imported Engine Dealer

Pond Life

I'm looking for a dealer that imports used Diesel engines from Japan.

They are usually from commercial vehicles, buses, trucks, earth movers & tractors.

Specifically I'm looking for something in the 10 to 30 hp range.

I know of places in Bangkok & Phuket.

Is there anywhere in Chiang Mai ?

Thanks

Hi,

There is one on the super highway close to the mae rim junction and lanna hospital on the north side, called chiang kong or something like that, huge company with hundreds maybe thousand of all kind of engines they import from all over the world And there is one very close to linda guesthouse. Nice shops to walk around, never saw something like this back in europe.

Goodluck

They're probably used from within Thailand. Thailand has strict import laws and duties on the importation of 2nd hand cars. 2nd hand parts are essentially seen as a way to import second hand cars taken apart. The import duties are such that unless it's a real classic it's not worthwhile to import.

Hope you know a customs guy.... as even parts come with upwards of 200% tax. And yes.... nice try in claimiing broken and worth nothing- they not silly as thais doing it all the time. Have you seen the costs of 2nd hand cars in Thailand? This is because the very tight restrictions and high taxes on import taxes and fees. We tried all that before and the customs guys get a ton of 'tea money' from Customs Agents. So go through a customs agent, in the know.

Pay some bucks to save a lot more bucks is my suggestion. Yet it can be a serious hassle.... they will high ball you when the gear is here to pick up. So it was not worth our while.... in the end. DO NOT believe pricing given to you before you sent the goods- go off a recommendation of customs agent or trusted friend, etc. I have not found one.

I would love to hear from those who successfully pulled this off without paying very high tax or serious pay off money. As would love to import a couple of engines for the broken pickups. Who did you go through.... without hassles?

Chok Dee.... JAY

10 - 30 hp range? That is a small, low powered engine and you probably won't find one in a place that imports engines from cars and trucks. What about that single cylinder diesel engine that powers those little ploughing machines for the rice fields? You should be able to get one new here. They seem quite versatile and I have seen them in a little utility truck.

I bought a used engine from Japan at Rung Rot, on the road to San Kampaneg. Good price and excellent motor. I know it's an import because the specific model was not available in the Thai market, and because there were service stickers in Japanese. And I've bought lots of used parts from Japan at Chiang Kong down in Bangkok, which is not one shop but a whole area (actually several areas). Never had much luck with CK up in Chiang Mai.

Don't be put off by posters without any experience. The second hand market from Japan is great source, and most of the dealers are reliable. The prices are good and generally the engines are in good condition. They import in bulk and pay duty on whole containers, so the actual premium that we pay is not so great. You don't need to "know a customs guy."

At the moment I'm just kicking an idea around in my head.

The basic idea is to take the chassis from a small truck like Dihatsu Hijet or Suzuki Carry.

& fit a small diesel engine.

Similar idea to the Eten/Etan home made trucks that are popular in Esaan,

but with a more hi tech engine & no belt drive.

So if anyone knows where to find small truck chassis & or running gear I'd be interested to hear also.

I know that 3 cyl Kubota's & Yanmars from small tractors & mini macro's are brought into Thailand

as I fitted a couple to boats in Phuket & they are very good & cheap.

I bought a used engine from Japan at Rung Rot, on the road to San Kampaneg. Good price and excellent motor. I know it's an import because the specific model was not available in the Thai market, and because there were service stickers in Japanese. And I've bought lots of used parts from Japan at Chiang Kong down in Bangkok, which is not one shop but a whole area (actually several areas). Never had much luck with CK up in Chiang Mai.

Don't be put off by posters without any experience. The second hand market from Japan is great source, and most of the dealers are reliable. The prices are good and generally the engines are in good condition. They import in bulk and pay duty on whole containers, so the actual premium that we pay is not so great. You don't need to "know a customs guy."

I agree. Don't listen to them. I've bought a lot of Japanese parts from Loong Rot but never an entire engine I must admit. Prices are very reasonable and the parts are like new and some parts are new in the original Japanese packaging.