Swedish Expat Murdered At Luxury Villa In Phuket

webfact

I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again; Don`t get involved here!.

Thailand is renowned for attracting the scum of the Earth, cut throats, villians and criminals.

As the wise man says; don`t get involved with the wrong crowd, keep within the law, be smart and use common sense if you want to be safe in Thailand.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this thread could be CLOSED ?

and a new one opened commencing with an accurate and up-to-date report on what occurred.

Some posters will continue to only read the thread's incorrect opening post, and make their comments based upon those 'facts' which it has been shown are well off the truth.

This may encourage more valid comment on the actual topic.

it's pretty sad im the only person in this whole country who has noticed that 98.5% of murders and beatup in ANY major city comes from someone that is from Nakhon Sri Tammarrat ..

This is thailand's only problem, the gene pool from this province

My girlfriend is from Nakhon Si Thammarat,ill bear that fact in mind next time we have an argument laugh.gif

Perhaps this thread could be CLOSED ?

and a new one opened commencing with an accurate and up-to-date report on what occurred.

Some posters will continue to only read the thread's incorrect opening post, and make their comments based upon those 'facts' which it has been shown are well off the truth.

This may encourage more valid comment on the actual topic.

Only so much we can do. There's a note indicating that the story has evolved and to read further before commenting in bold red print on the very first post.

(Keep in mind, that people still believe our April Fools prank was real)

Since I know and know off all the actors involved I can confirm that this was related to both their choice of work and women - that clashed.

These are young guys (5-10 years younger than me, that found themselves in situation of great wealth and 'power' (in the local clubs) and this wasn't something they wanted to give up or have diluted by others joining in by setting up their own operations.

You seem to be very well informed.... B)

Would you please tell us more about the nature of this "Call Center" scam?

Why is this illegal business so profitable? How does it work?

Let me first state that the practice is despicable and I have voiced my opinion that they should be doing something more productive and honest.

However, since the money is good (100k+ per month for a normal seller, more for the manager (Maxim was 'boss')) and these guys have no real higher education to speak of nor work experience (outside the same kind), their options are to slim - so from their point of view it is a given choice.

There is many setups going around. Maxim was involved in the phonebook-ad-scam in the past and some turns of that was done now too. The latest iteration, all - in a Thai sense - very legal (WP, proper visas) is a combo of sale and investment, if I remember correctly. The latter is done by a company/group/team setting up a proper-sounding front, often AU/EC registered entity that pretends to do solid investments. It is in many cases a pure Ponsi scheme with little or no retribution, legally. It is fairly easy to cover ones tracks and stay 'Thailand legal', avoiding too much attention, being detected/linked to actual cases and being sent back to face real charges.

The murderer in this case was involved in a setup that was NOT covering their tracks well - but atleast they didn't use their own names on the accounts...

Anyway, if you really wanna know what they are running atm, as oppose to 2-3 months ago, I could ask them. But it isn't really a good time.

You know this guys , and if they are bandits as it looks like, i wish them all bad what coming to them ... sit in Thailand free as a bird, spend money that other honest people worked for is a shame .

You know this guys , and if they are bandits as it looks like, i wish them all bad what coming to them ... sit in Thailand free as a bird, spend money that other honest people worked for is a shame .

To be overly clear - I know the people in the group around the victim.

I know 'of' the perpetrators. (Seen, been told about, read news, etc.)

The expat-community isn't bigger than one or two jumps/calls away in many ways.

Edited by TAWP

In a normal life / environment it's unlikely you'll have problem with Thai people.

As long as you tread carefully and watch where you set your feet, and that's not normal walking I tell you :huh:

As for the complaint of racist comments, we are all racists.

Multiculturism does not work, top politicians begin to accept reality (see Merkel)

I live here and I do accept "they" do not (need to) like me.

Neither do I like to live in a muslim country/culture, therefore I left Europe.

And I do associate muslims with Arabs.

@ Tartempion, HarleyClarke and others: Freedom of opinion and expression is one of the basic human rights, and well, this is one thing, but all your racist motivated comments make me really think!!! I am following the threads in TV for quite a while - and by today, I finally come to the conclusion that this forum simply is not for me, reading all this crap I feel ashamed of being Farang to every Thai national reading this!

What you guys think where the greed & grudge (if there is any) comes from? Blame yourself, all of you (uber)rich out there who have nothing else to do than showing off your wealth, treating others badly, acting as this country is owned by you....

Don' t forget we alll are guests in this country. And there are still few things money can't buy ;-)

dam_n it what a big bunch of stupidness in here, period!

If only more of the farangs posting here would think like you do. The prevalent attitude of a lot of the posters are the reasons that a lot of Thais merely tolerate farangs and not embrace them.

Another problem of course is that only a small proportion of the farangs are actually rich. I would wager that the majority just about survive.

@ Bangkokupcountry: I absolutely agree with you. About the rich... this was especially addressed @Kamluan, who stupidly answered a comment I have made about an hour ago regarding another post where someone recommendet to buying guns illegally or legally for self-defense and where he was saying >>" it is a good comment , because it will geting more worse in phuket , all rich farangs have to die ,is a good tip for all farang live in phuket , for selfdefense you not go in jail !! chai mai ?"<< I have no more to say it is just ashaming and makes me helpless and sad.

more intressting is that one of the suspects was arrested in Pattay a while back, the police napped a bunch of guys doing telefon sales. one of this guys now arrested should be deported, they all work and no workpermit and it was a scam. how can he still be here?did he pay of a police in Pattay to get to stay and not deported?well that is how things goes in LOS.

Edited by stacker10

In a normal life / environment it's unlikely you'll have problem with Thai people.

As long as you tread carefully and watch where you set your feet, and that's not normal walking I tell you :huh:

Multiculturism does not work, top politicians begin to accept reality (see Merkel)

@ Tartempion, HarleyClarke and others: Freedom of opinion and expression is one of the basic human rights, and well, this is one thing, but all your racist motivated comments make me really think!!! I am following the threads in TV for quite a while - and by today, I finally come to the conclusion that this forum simply is not for me, reading all this crap I feel ashamed of being Farang to every Thai national reading this!

What you guys think where the greed & grudge (if there is any) comes from? Blame yourself, all of you (uber)rich out there who have nothing else to do than showing off your wealth, treating others badly, acting as this country is owned by you....

Don' t forget we alll are guests in this country. And there are still few things money can't buy ;-)

You are a bit touchy Tina....your post chooses to ignore the truth.

My post was pure fact...not fiction as attested to here every single day with the daily abuse of foreigners by Thais and the Thai establishment. Show me I am wrong. I did state in the opening line of my post....."many (not all) Thais especially in tourist areas (not throughout the country)...".

This is not a grudge of mine or words of a (uber) rich man...just plain facts. Again...tell me that every day the rip off, scams, cheats, murders, beatings to foreigners do not happen. Tell me the police and authorities investigate every one of these with impartiality and vigour. Not a hope in hell.

I know all too well that I am a guest in Thailand as I do in every other country that I visit. I always conduct myself with full regard to local customs and laws. Always. I have travelled 4 continents so I guess you could say I know the ropes a little by now.

You will not doubt be pleased to see the sub humans here appear to be foreign.

Again...the issue here is not racism...keep this for a post elsewhere...but the brutal murder of a young man who did not deserve to be murdered.

One of the reasons I wait to comment on these types of threads is that the initial reports are usually incomplete. It seems that the deceased is alleged to have been involved in a questionable phone center and that the alleged murderers were fellow swedes settling a "business" score.

Perhaps it is time for those given to blaming Thais for "psychopathic" behaviour or "criminality" need to consider that some foreigners are the criminals.

Watch the case for further eye opening developments.

So you will be leaving us then I take it? Take care it's a jungle out there.B)

@Softgeorge: No I am not going to leave, i am a (passiv & quiet) member at TV for several years, and have found lots of useful info over the years and find TV to be a great sources of many interesting topics, but by reading several posts and learning about quite a big number of morons in here, I honestly get sick of it and find that participating for me is simply a waste of time! Living in Thailand for 8 years, I certainly know where I live and I am aware of the beautiful jungle out there and you know what, I have never regret my decision to have moved to live in this beautiful country. Seems I am one of the lucky few chosing my Thai & Farang friends wisely, so I really, really LOVE LIFE HERE more and more and more :-)))

I am truly a tolerant and open minded person, but there are very few things I really can' t deal with: Ignorance, stupidity & superficiality to name 3.

They wouldn't all have to be viscious. It would only need one black hearted person, and the rest would be following his lead. Thais are great at mindlessly following. It also sounds like the cut to the neck was meant to wound, not to kill. RIP brother.

It sounds like the Swede had a prior altercation with one or more of the punks. Let's hope the cops do some serious sleuthing, but it's doubtful they will get a suspect and a conviction - even if their investigative skills were worth a satang.

They wouldn't all have to be viscious. It would only need one black hearted person, and the rest would be following his lead. Thais are great at mindlessly following. It also sounds like the cut to the neck was meant to wound, not to kill. RIP brother.

It sounds like the Swede had a prior altercation with one or more of the punks. Let's hope the cops do some serious sleuthing, but it's doubtful they will get a suspect and a conviction - even if their investigative skills were worth a satang.

For the umpteenth time, it was Swedes killing Swedes -- Thais were not involved.

Try to keep up.

For the umpteenth time, it was Swedes killing Swedes -- Thais were not involved. Try to keep up.
You're right Rick. Though I'd read the 1st 3 pages, I hadn't read the subsequent page before posting. However, the OP stated clearly;
Neighbors told rescue workers at the scene that a gang of about 12 Thai men were waiting to ambush the Swede...

So I was basing my response on that. How can the OP be so far off? Is the more recent info more reliable? I reckon we'll have to guess at what's real. Plus, future news flashes from Phuket Gazette will be suspect. They got both the number and the nationalities of the suspects wrong.

Edited by maidu

Geratrickid raises a most important point -- this is a developing story and all of the facts are not in yet. That said, please consider:

1. The loss of life is always a terrible thing, regardless if it's natural, accidental or criminal.

2. The sensed increase of the possibility of violent crime in Thailand, whether founded or not, is real. In five years of living here, I've heard a lot of talk about this among expats, which leads to the next point.

3. I have heard many times -- from expats, not Thais -- something like this: "Do you know how easy it is to get someone killed here?" Think about it: What kind of expat would go around saying that kind of thing in the first place? Probably one who contemplates such things: contract killings.

4. Expats who talk this kind of thing, whether seriously or out their &lt;deleted&gt;, should be punished and made examples of. It's no way to behave as a guest in a foreign country and it contributes to the tarnishing of this country's image.

5. It's easy to blame the police (BiB, as they're derisively called), but their only role is after the fact. What about before the fact, like behaving responsibly and not being part of this kind of thing in the first place. Preventing crime starts with not committing crime or associating with criminal elements.

Of the three elements of a homicide -- motive, means and opportunity -- it is probably the second (means) that is most troubling if foreigners are involved: The poverty of locals is being exploited to carry out dirty deeds, and that's a shame. I refer again to point no. 3 above, where farang talk of the ease of getting someone killed in Thailand. This attitude needs to stop and people even talking about it should be punished. In our home countries, merely talking about doing these kinds of things could be crimes.

It's not okay to kill someone, have someone killed, or blithely talk about how easy it can be done in Thailand. Treating this kind of talk so casually contributes to the ruin of this country's image, so the next time you hear it please consider the kind of company you're keeping.

There's nothing light about a killing -- or talking about arranging one. In the end, crimes on foreigners here will be greatly reduced by foreigners behaving themselves and conducting themselves properly.

BREAKING NEWS: Swedish duo arrested for Phuket stabbing murder

PHUKET: Phuket City Police have confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that two Swedish men have been arrested in connection with the stabbing murderyesterday of Maksim Schantz.

Tommy Viktor Soderlund, 26, and Johan Sebastian Ljung, 25, are both in custody, a police officer said on condition of anonymity.

Police are due to hold a press conference this evening when more details will be provided.

Check back here for updates.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10762.html

Edited by cdnvic
added link for proper acreditation

In Bangkok, I am glad I live in the inner city where it is safe!

Generally speaking, it's quite safe elsewhere in Thailand, as most members and expats would agree. It all depends on the company you keep and the attitude you adopt with the locals.

Certain areas of Thailand are undoubtedly more prone to incidents due to the high concentration of foreigners there.

more intressting is that one of the suspects was arrested in Pattay a while back, the police napped a bunch of guys doing telefon sales. one of this guys now arrested should be deported, they all work and no workpermit and it was a scam. how can he still be here?did he pay of a police in Pattay to get to stay and not deported?well that is how things goes in LOS.

They shouldn't be deported they should do thier time in a thai prison and not some 5 star western prison. Make them do thier time 1st then deport them.

Since I know and know off all the actors involved I can confirm that this was related to both their choice of work and women - that clashed.

These are young guys (5-10 years younger than me, that found themselves in situation of great wealth and 'power' (in the local clubs) and this wasn't something they wanted to give up or have diluted by others joining in by setting up their own operations.

You seem to be very well informed.... B)

Would you please tell us more about the nature of this "Call Center" scam?

Why is this illegal business so profitable? How does it work?

Let me first state that the practice is despicable and I have voiced my opinion that they should be doing something more productive and honest.

However, since the money is good (100k+ per month for a normal seller, more for the manager (Maxim was 'boss')) and these guys have no real higher education to speak of nor work experience (outside the same kind), their options are to slim - so from their point of view it is a given choice.

There is many setups going around. Maxim was involved in the phonebook-ad-scam in the past and some turns of that was done now too. The latest iteration, all - in a Thai sense - very legal (WP, proper visas) is a combo of sale and investment, if I remember correctly. The latter is done by a company/group/team setting up a proper-sounding front, often AU/EC registered entity that pretends to do solid investments. It is in many cases a pure Ponsi scheme with little or no retribution, legally. It is fairly easy to cover ones tracks and stay 'Thailand legal', avoiding too much attention, being detected/linked to actual cases and being sent back to face real charges.

The murderer in this case was involved in a setup that was NOT covering their tracks well - but atleast they didn't use their own names on the accounts...

Anyway, if you really wanna know what they are running atm, as oppose to 2-3 months ago, I could ask them. But it isn't really a good time.

No, no! Please don't do it. I don't want you to take any unnecessary risk... This is Pattaya. Anything can happen, you never know.

As far as we can understand what these guys are doing with their "Call Center Scam" is the same thing as Robert Madoff was doing in America.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you!

I knew it!

A Love Triangle with a Thai girl.

What else is new?

The article stated she was 1/2 thai (mixed) does not mean that she was thai. Maybe she also was swedish, her thai mother married a swede and she was born in Sweden??????? who knows that part has also not been made clear.

Edited by softgeorge

3. I have heard many times -- from expats, not Thais -- something like this: "Do you know how easy it is to get someone killed here?" Think about it: What kind of expat would go around saying that kind of thing in the first place? Probably one who contemplates such things: contract killings.

The only reason why expats speak like this is because they have learned it from the locals. If the number of locals who run rough-shod over the laws of the land were to decrease dramatically, along with an overall decrease in crime and an increase in enforcement and punishment, you can bet that less and less expats would speak like that. Lay the blame at the root of things... There are too many locals creating too many problems which they seem to get away with and to an outsider, it looks like the place is something of a free-for-all where anything, including contract killing, goes. It becomes a case of monkey see, monkey do.

TheWalkingMan

I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again; Don`t get involved here!.

Thailand is renowned for attracting the scum of the Earth, cut throats, villians and criminals.

Absolutely! That's what I was always saying...

But some people did not believe me.

The fact is that it's getting worse and worse over here.

I am looking for other places to settle like Indonesia, Micronesia, Tahiti, Mauritius...

I think Mauritius is a very good place. What do you think?

The article stated she was 1/2 thai (mixed) does not mean that she was thai. Maybe she also was swedish, her thai mother married a swede and she was born in Swizerland??????? who knows that part has also not been made clear.

Why Switzerland?

Did you mean Sweden?

The article stated she was 1/2 thai (mixed) does not mean that she was thai. Maybe she also was swedish, her thai mother married a swede and she was born in Swizerland??????? who knows that part has also not been made clear.

Why Switzerland?

Did you mean Sweden?

yep typo.

My apologies to any Thai people reading this forum.

How about an apology to those of us who do not consider Thais "beasts" and who may have such "beasts as family members? And while I am atop my pedestal, shame on the mods for allowing the riff raff to control this thread. George, time to redefine your little cash cow.

Since the OP is going to dominate the thread long after it has been been proven wrong, please nuke the text in the OP and link to a more current news article.

Thank you.

(And perhaps remove all replies talking about the incorrect OP.)

wow ; viscious

wonder how / who he pissed off

Could have been anyone. These people are psychopaths.

No doubt some are mentally ill and/or have homicidal tendencies, but that far from being the rule. A high % of service industry(tuk tuk, touts, taxi drivers, scammers) are attracted to and present in tourist areas, where non coincidentally foreigners live.

Every society has crazies. Normally, a foreigner does not live in low end areas in his own country, for good reason, safety.

In my experience as a moderately conversational capable person, a decent % of tuk tuk, taxi, motorcycle drivers have alcohol issues. May have drug issues also. May have both.

Even in Patong, the great majority of employees within Jung Ceylon Mall are nothing like the low life counterparts. Bangla/Patong certainly has criminal elements just like areas in USA with street hookers would/does.

A very high % are so shy they try to avoid direct eye contact with each other. Some appear to even be afraid of their own shadows. As infamous as are the corrupt police, the degree of non-confrontation is equally legendary. When you add alcohol/drugs, all bets are off.

Bangla road simply does not usually attract highly educated/intelligent nationals.

The best thing is to simply accept the way things are. If thai society were like Japan society, the prices would also be much higher. Yes, I know about cheating and corruption being a normal part of much of society.

Perhaps the most difficult thing to accept is that it is not the most advanced society in the world (sarcasm) Once you accept and go beyond, life gets much better. Also do realize that mainstream thai people are not interested in living in places like patong, pattaya, etc, therefore the expat community becomes the main social network. Believe me there actually do exist great thai people albeit often they lived/studied abroad or have high level parents, though not all.